Walking with your dog.

Just a quick questions do you count the calories you burn walking the dog. Just wondering because some say they don't and just wanted to make sure. Thanks

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    I do because it's exercise - but not if it's just walking the dog down to the end of the driveway and back (unless your driveway is 1/2 mile long or something ha ha)

It probably also depends on your dog. My dog is a 85-90 lb labrador and half the time she is walking me, ha ha - walking her is really a workout. I always take her on a minimum 1 mile walk - often it is 2-3 miles when all is said and done. But I also don't credit a while lot of calories for it - usually only 50 calories unless it's a longer 5+ mile hike or something.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    I don't. Because I do it three times a day it is just part of my activity level.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Yes, but we run or briskly walk and it's intended to be part of my exercise routine.

If we just go for a stroll with the kids on their bikes, then no.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I do because it's exercise - but not if it's just walking the dog down to the end of the driveway and back (unless your driveway is 1/2 mile long or something ha ha)

It probably also depends on your dog. My dog is a 85-90 lb labrador and half the time she is walking me, ha ha - walking her is really a workout. I always take her on a minimum 1 mile walk - often it is 2-3 miles when all is said and done. But I also don't credit a while lot of calories for it - usually only 50 calories unless it's a longer 5+ mile hike or something.

Its about 45 to 60 minutes
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Sure.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    My little rescue dog is agoraphobic so we don't walk. She does not like to go out the front door. Sometimes we ride in the car though :D
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I don't because my calorie level is set to account for these types of activities. If you have your activity level set to sedentary and have a very low calorie goal, then you might want to consider it, but be careful not to overestimate the calories burned from walking the dog, as MFP tends to do.
  • xandrapn6
    xandrapn6 Posts: 13 Member
    I have the MapMyFitness app and usually track my puppy walks with that.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Run sometimes, walk never. I walk all day so I'm not burning any more calories.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I don't because my calorie level is set to account for these types of activities. If you have your activity level set to sedentary and have a very low calorie goal, then you might want to consider it, but be careful not to overestimate the calories burned from walking the dog, as MFP tends to do.

Thanks
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    I don't count my regular walks. If I go longer on purpose I track it. I also walk my dogs off leash so my pace is consistent because I'm not stopping a lot for them to sniff and pee!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    We walk 2-3 miles a day, plus hikes, so yes, I count them.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Dog walks are counted in my daily steps total.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    I try to always keep my phone on me when I walk them so the steps are recorded for my daily total but that's the extent of it. Unless I actually run with them for a distance of a mile or longer, then I'll record that!
  • chrisfuentes2005
    Thanks everyone
  • lbaxandall
    lbaxandall Posts: 62 Member
    My daily activity is set lower since I don't always take my dog out, so when I do, I track it!
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    I try to always keep my phone on me when I walk them so the steps are recorded for my daily total but that's the extent of it. Unless I actually run with them for a distance of a mile or longer, then I'll record that!

Exactly what I do. Steps are all I account for no matter what pace I go at.