Low caloric intake, quality protein powder?

Options
2»

Replies

• Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I personally use Slap Nutrition whey. I've used it for years cause it doesn't mess with my stomach as a lot of the ones with artificial sweeteners do. I have a discount code (megmo) if you place an order there too. I enjoy the strawberry whey the most and the chocolate too.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I prefer ON for both flavor and quality. We have it in bulk at costco here.
  • lucy_Jada
    lucy_Jada Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just watch out about tuna, because of the mercury content.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lucy_Jada wrote: »
    Just watch out about tuna, because of the mercury content.

Not a problem.

This consumption advisory was always intended for pregnant and nursing women. Somehow "experts" extrapolated this to mean everyone, which is wrong. Selenium binds to methyl mercury rendering it biologically unavailable. Tuna is extremely rich in selenium.

When I am cutting, I often eat upward of ten cans of tuna per day, for weeks on end. If it were possible to develop mercury poisoning from it, I'd be long dead.

I have to type this so much that I am considering just copy/pasting it into a note on my phone.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I can easily hit 120-140g on a 1200 calorie diet. As you mentioned, you just might have to give up some of the more calorie dense foods you are eating. I had to stay away from nuts and cheese (which I love). Quest chips give a pretty good bang for the buck if you need a supplement. 20g for 130 calories. Good to have with a sandwich. Seafood has a lot of protein for small calories. I eat a lot of fish, shrimp, scallops. Beef/Turkey jerky is great.
  • Niples_
    Niples_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ladies, only time you should have a shake is after a workout, IF you are anal about trying to minimize muscle loss while you a losing weight. 120g of protein should not be hard to reach with food alone. Just change your mindset when setting your plate. Be generous with your meats. 6-8 oz of chicken breast or fish is filling and not that hard chow down. If you like cold cuts, pastrami, black forest ham, Turkey are very tasty and lean enough to add to your breakfast. Don't eat nuts at all when trying to lose weight. You're just looking to go hungry by running out of calories.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Niples_ wrote: »
    Ladies, only time you should have a shake is after a workout, IF you are anal about trying to minimize muscle loss while you a losing weight. 120g of protein should not be hard to reach with food alone. Just change your mindset when setting your plate. Be generous with your meats. 6-8 oz of chicken breast or fish is filling and not that hard chow down. If you like cold cuts, pastrami, black forest ham, Turkey are very tasty and lean enough to add to your breakfast. Don't eat nuts at all when trying to lose weight. You're just looking to go hungry by running out of calories.

Depends upon perspective and locale, honestly. Hell, in a lot of places in the US, protein powders can be far cheaper per gram of protein, than chicken, tuna, etc.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I buy Kaizen Proteins Powder at Costco. In Canada they are often $10 less in promotion.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well that certainly isn't true.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Is this meant to be incredibly patronising or do you just think womens bodies somehow process protein differently? Why only post workout?
  • chriscattrall
    chriscattrall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition gold standard! They also produce a lean version. If you only require 60grams a day though I can't see how you struggle to get this from food alone, which is obviously better.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition gold standard! They also produce a lean version. If you only require 60grams a day though I can't see how you struggle to get this from food alone, which is obviously better.

I think the op said that 60 grams was all they are managing.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I think the op said that 60 grams was all they are managing.

Yes, this. But, now thanks to you all and after taking some suggestions to get it from different food sources, I've been averaging around 100-110g. I actually didn't even need the powder.

Funny thing is, I actually started searching info on too much protein...Lol.
  • jojogurl13
    jojogurl13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm taking dymatize is 120cal 25 grams of protien low carb low sugar and low fat. I won't take a protien supplement unless it's around 120 cal or below. I would much rather chew my calories. But when I'm in the mood for something sweet and I still have my protien goal to hit for the day I do enjoy a protien smoothies or half a scoop of protien with a cup of 0% greek yogurt for a pudding effect. Taking a protien isolate will be much easier on your tummy as well. Cheaper whey protien tends to give pretty much everyone the protien farts so just be weary of a good deal.