How to cut OUT soda/pop

Options
shahbazmawgin
shahbazmawgin Posts: 1 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm trying to take baby steps for an overall achievement of weight loss. One of my weaknesses is Dr. Peppers and Root Beers. It's an addiction but an addiction I know I can overcome with a little help. What steps can o take to stay away?

Replies

• cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    switch to soda water with lime. very refreshing and still has the bubbles.
  • Skyle33
    Skyle33 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    ^ yes. Just do it, and stop doing it
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    There's a good reason you're struggling: sugar is addictive and soda has lots of it! You have to do a detox.

Get a Soda stream. Make up your own fizzies. I like to add a little juice. PomWonderful is very good with lime. Some people like tomato, which is low sugar. Anyway, it's fun, good for you, and you can make as much as you want when you want.
  • Gator4RTR
    Gator4RTR Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just do it...I have tried all the tricks. Best to just go cold turkey.
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I mostly have been soda free since Jan 9th. I was a Diet Coke drinker, but just decided it can't be good for me so I stopped drinking it all together. I just order unsweetened iced tea or water when going out to eat and drink the same at home and work. I have had a couple ginger ales since Jan 9th, that's about it. Just think about it before you drink it and you will get used to life without it!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Stop buying it and don't make excuses. Put the money you'd spend on soda monthly towards something else you'd like as a non-food treat.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I started my weight loss phase I switched from regular soda, to diet soda. That worked well for several years, but last week I decided to mostly cut out the diet soda (4+ cans a day), because I discovered the awesomeness of coffee :D I'm a 30+ year soda drinker and I've had absolutely no problems cutting it out, but I've replaced the caffeine that I was getting from the soda, with the coffee (which has more caffeine and is the reason for the switch). So many people carry on like cutting out soda is some Herculean feat, but I've found the whole thing to be pretty anti-climatic :p

• foojay
    foojay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with cbl40 "soda and lime". It is delicious and refreshing and cheapish and you can sometimes add vodka lol. My best wishes, cutting out anything is difficult and (new) habit forming is hard.
  • Kaprese
    Kaprese Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with SodaStream. Bought my first one years ago and since then soda has never been a problem. I was more hooked on the fizz of soda so I never did try out their soda flavors, their MyWater essence is fantastic if you want a light fruity flavor!
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I did it accidentally. Kept pop at work, drank 2 or 3 mountain dews a day. Then changed jobs, took one along each day. Forgot one day, forgot the next day. Third day decided to forget, and I've been mostly free ever since
  • cinicxo
    cinicxo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just stopped drinking it and started drinking at least 8 cups of water a day. If I need something different I'll add crystal light to it or drink those sparkling flavored waters.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Sweet baby cheeses, we're going to have another argument about how sugar is not addictive (it's not). If you've tried cold turkey and found yourself going back, try cutting back slowly.
    I slowly cut them out until it became habitual to reach for my tea, not my soda. I only keep the small cans around in case I decide (conscious decision, not mindless to reach for it) I want one. I was lamenting with a friend of mine recently that even the small 90cal Dr Peppers are super sweet to me (and I still eat sweets in general).
  • Soulfood77
    Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The only thing that has worked for me is cold turkey. However I work in a concessions department so I am surrounded by free pop all day 5 days a week. So cold turkey did it for me. But figure out what works for you - maybe just lessen slowly until you work off it. I do think you need something to replace it or when you get a craving you will just reach for pop again.
  • Scotty_51
    Scotty_51 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was a 30+ year soda addict who stopped last year, also quit sugar. It was way easier to quit chewing tobacco than soda and sugar. I drank nothing but soda, no water or juice, just soda for all those years.
    The good news is if I can quit soda, anybody can quit.

What I dd, YMMV:
    Get 12oz cans of soda water and some crystal light/mio/etc in a flavor you like, for me it was lemonade. Limit your soda intake to x number per day and don't go over that. When you crave soda grab the 12oz can of water, pour in the Mio or whatever you choose into the can of carbonated water (over the sink as it will foam). This will fill the craving of having a cold can in reach, the sound of it opening etc. Gradually replace the soda with the carbonated water/mio mix. I did 3 cans of soda/day for 1 week, the 2 cans/day etc until I was off the soda. Once you go a few weeks to a month with no soda you will be amazed and how gross soda really tastes. Once you reach that point you are there and will never go back to soda.

The other thing for me is water has to be ice cold, I got some Hydro Flasks so I always have ice cold water. I drink nothing but water (and protein shakes) now and I find water to be more satisfying than soda ever was.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Get yourself a fruit infuser water bottle or pitcher. Water with some mint, watermelon, and Lemon on slices is amazing !! I haven't had soda in forever.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I gave up Coke for 2 months, and discovered at the end of that time that I couldn't stand it anymore. It was absolutely undrinkable.

So just hold out for a bit. You may find at the end that it's just not tasty to you anymore.