Beta blockers and weight loss

Options
Scarlet9904
Scarlet9904 Posts: 32 Member
im starting over on my path to weight loss gained alot after my heart issues kicked in and hampered me last time and i hear its extreamly hard to lose on beta blockers any advice from others on them?

Replies

• dragonsmom38
    dragonsmom38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Please be careful I was taking Diet pills to help my weight loss and ended up having a seizure from them my husband thought for sure I was dead as I had it when I was sleeping
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Which beta blocker are you on?
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am on 100mg of Metoprolol and losing weight. Weight training and eating in a deficit are helping me lose.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    My advice is to talk to your doctor about what limits you must put on exercise.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    im starting over on my path to weight loss gained alot after my heart issues kicked in and hampered me last time and i hear its extreamly hard to lose on beta blockers any advice from others on them?

I'm on beta blockers...I lost weight pretty easily. If you're worried that you're burning less calories because your heart rate will be a little lower, don't...there's no direct correlation.

Please be careful I was taking Diet pills to help my weight loss and ended up having a seizure from them my husband thought for sure I was dead as I had it when I was sleeping

What does this have to do with beta blockers?
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight while on beta blockers, you lose enough weight your Cardiologist/PCP will consider reducing the dose assuming your heart condition is improving with the reduced weight.
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think you can lose weight while on beta blockers, it will just depend on the type of exercise you do and your diet. I would suggest you to discuss that with your doctor for better information, since he/she knows better your clinical history.
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'm on beta blockers...I lost weight pretty easily. If you're worried that you're burning less calories because your heart rate will be a little lower, don't...there's no direct correlation.

What does this have to do with beta blockers?

I don't know maybe he the person think beta-blockers are diet pills or than he trying to advice to not take diet pills while taking beta-blockers.
  • Scarlet9904
    Scarlet9904 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm on 3 heart meds cloranor 10 mg twice daily bystolic 10mg verapimil 180mg as far as exercise I'm told none due to fainting to offten
  • runningprincess23
    runningprincess23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been on Metopropol for six weeks and gained 11 pounds. I am "starting over" tomorrow. I can now exercise more now and I am going to change up my diet.
  • SuziK28
    SuziK28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm on beta blockers and a ACE inhibitor and have had no trouble losing weight. Lost 1st 9lbs so far. Excerise I was just given the go ahead for but only light so walking, swimming and cycling.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/beta-blockers/faq-20058385

So according to the Mayo clinic 4-5 pounds, that's it, and no mention of not being able to lose weight overall.