Shin Splints....Ouch!

Options
I'm in desperate need for help on how to help my shin splints! More my left leg than my right, in the front. I wear great shoes, stretch before running, warm up by walking first...I jog/run on a treadmill with a .5 incline. I've even tried inserts. Nothing works!

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Have you tried compression socks or sleeves? Do you get them running outside or only on the treadmill? I moved to running outside in all weather conditions, because using the treadmill gives me awful shin splints.
  • GrayRider61
    GrayRider61 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    How much do you run each week?
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Stop running. You don't want to further injure yourself. Shin splints can turn into stress fractures. I would also see a dr and get a referral to a physical therapist. When you go back to running, don't do too much too soon. Your PT can tell you how to ease back into running.
  • blondchick205
    blondchick205 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Have you tried compression socks or sleeves? Do you get them running outside or only on the treadmill? I moved to running outside in all weather conditions, because using the treadmill gives me awful shin splints.

I get them outside and inside. I haven't tried compression socks but will look into it! I'm curious if I'm landing or taking off the wrong way on my left foot?

• blondchick205
    blondchick205 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How much do you run each week?

I run and fast walk 4-5 times a week. I don't continuously run be ages my leg starts hurting!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Could be you landing on your heel, tight calves, running too much too soon etc...

• quan3t
    quan3t Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best thing you should do right now is rest. Shin plints usually occur because of weak calfs. Make sure you stretch carefully after and before each workout also try to run in the pool if you can. It might help. Hope you will recovery soon!!!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I attended a running clinic last weekend. The speaker mentioned that heel strikers are more prone to shin splints. I have no idea if that's true or not. I used to get them when I would try to run in cheap cross-trainer sneakers. I'm more of a mid-foot striker.

I did learn recently to stay on top of how worn out your sneakers are. Worn out shoes can introduce a lot of pain. For me my left hip started hurting terribly. Finally realized my shoes were in need of replacement. New shoes (same brand, model) and all is well.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    You should see a physical therapist. Something is wrong.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I speak as someone who has a decent number of long runs under my belt, and has also had a stress fracture.

If the pain is unilaterally worse and not going away, you might need a break...a couple weeks of not running and resting. Now, I say MIGHT because you may just have run of the mill shin splints.

Shiny splints should go away after your run with ice and rest. They are concerning when they are worse or only present on one side.

And to echo above posts: it's SO important to have strong hips, glutes and calves for running that consistently. I'd recommend having your shoes re/evaluated and also, icing and compression socks.

Rest is important and listen to your body. Maybe try getting off the treadmill- it's can be harder impact because you're not actually propelling yourself forward in space which is unnatural.
  • MarioAvila2
    MarioAvila2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey have you tried foam rolling it should help .
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My podiatrist recommended walking on my heels a bit around the house to build up the right muscles. There was a stretching exercise too but I can't exactly remember what it was.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I heard that shin splints are caused by the muscles on the shin tearing away from the bone. I guess they stick to the bone when not used all that much and as they develop they start tearing away from it. It's not harmful, just painful. I used to get them when I first started running and was running almost every day. I ran with them. They would usually go away or subside maybe about a half a mile to a mile into my run. But, they'd be back the next day. Rest is really the only way to get rid of them. Ice can speed up that process.