Little deficit or big deficit?

Options
I might've posted this in the wrong section so I'm posting here :)

So my eating is usually pretty good - I rarely go over my calories for the day (1600). I doubled up on my cardio and burned 700 calories today giving me an even bigger deficit then my normal 300. Will having a bigger deficit of calories make me lose faster or am I not fueling enough for the next days workout? I just need general advice in this spectrum - thanks!

Replies

• AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Having a larger deficit will certainly make you lose weight faster, but you have to pay attention to your energy levels whilst doing so because your workout performance may suffer if you aren't supplying your body with the energy you need.

A little experimentation may be required here.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Well, it will provide a bigger deficit. Whether you're sufficiently fueled for next day depends upon when next meals are compared to workout. But I did a lot of training for triathlons at significant deficits.
  • CBD92
    CBD92 Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Definitely. If you are meeting your minimum calorie goal (BMR) and can continue to work out/live etc and not feel fatigued while not eating more, go for it. My BMR is 1660 and I have been training quite heavily, often burning around 2000 cal per session, 5-6 days per week. I only eat between my 1660 and 1800 and I feel great. Sometimes I have off days so I eat a little more, maybe 1900-2000 but you just need to listen to your body. I just make sure I get a decent amount of protein and eat very nutrient dense food. As long as you eat a minimum of your BMR, then from there you can eat/not eat as little or as much as your body says it wants!