Please Help Me

Options
Hello everyone so I'm newish here and I'm fed up of making excuses and something has just clicked in my body making me 100% devoted to becoming healthier,

Is meal prep a good idea ?
How often to weight myself ?
Any tips for motivation ?

I need buddy's on here to help me a long so feel free to add me

Replies

• Sloonsfoot3
    Sloonsfoot3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started semi meal prepping. I do like it! I got my containers from Amazon for a really great price. It feels like im having a frozen meal or something that is portioned that i would of spent 2-3 bucks at the store on. (Those dont always taste good) I talked to my dietician today and im going to do weigh ins Tuesdays and Fridays. I think that would be best twice a week so you dont become overly obsessed or feel discouraged. I havent figured out the motivation yet. Im sorry. I just kind of force myself to go right now to the gym or walking lol. Best of luck with your weightloss journey! Ill add you!
  • jacquelinemuneca
    jacquelinemuneca Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to MFP. Friend me!
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    in order yes, every day and fat has an attitude dont let it get you down
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Meal prep helps alot of people out. Nothing like being hungry and not having healthy options handy to derail progress

How often to weigh depends on you. If you can take individual weigh ins with a grain of salt and not freak out about normal weight fluctuations than go for daily. Otherwise maybe only weekly or some people do less than that. You have to ask yourself if the scale is going to ruin your day?

The best motivation comes from within. Think about why you really want this, set realistic goals ( mini goals along the way are great too) with a realistic plan for reaching them and it will not be as hard as it seems.

Good luck!
  • lmschoelles
    lmschoelles Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Making a food schedule and sticking to it has been most important for me. Protein shake breakfast, yogurt snack, meal prep lunch, dinner varies (so I don't get bored or go insane) and a snack after the gym if I have extra calories. Portion control is also super important for me. I feel much more energized and motivated if I only eat until satisfied, never full. I also added fiber supplements into my diet due to a medical condition, but it keeps me much fuller, much longer.

I personally weigh myself everyday so I can see how much weight fluctuates day to day so I don't feel so terrible if I'm off a tad from my goal, but I only record it once a week. Also try to make sure you're weighing yourself around the same time each day you do it. You weigh more at the end of the day vs right when you wake up.

The best motivation that keeps me going is knowing that I'm not going to get any closer to my goal sitting on my butt. Even if I'm not losing some weeks, I can be satisfied knowing I kept extra fat off at least.

Good luck and feel free to add me!
  • ristinadurivage
    ristinadurivage Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I meal prep throughout the week. I try to keep snacks on hand that are friendly to my diet. I work third so I make dinner for my family around 3 then put dinner in containers for my dinner for around now. My husband just warms it up when he gets home.
    I don't weigh myself very often. I might once a week or every other. I see results more in measuring and pictures. I also keep around a pair of pants I use to fit into when I was a size 22. Now I am a size 12.
    As for motivation, I put a poster together of my reasons with pictures and motivational sayings. I set an alarm on my phone for workout time. Some days I have to choose between meal prep and working out. I have three kids at home during the day so it can be hard for me and since summer bodies are made in the kitchen, I choose meal prep when it's a hard day.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I have been meal planning/prepping for around 13 weeks now, it has helped me a lot. I prep my work lunches (5 for Mon-Fri), a couple of dinners (one to eat Sunday evening, leftovers to refrigerate or freeze for later) and prep weighed snacks. I got some cheap containers from the poundshop (the kind you would get Chinese/Indian takeaway in) and some small tupperware type tubs for my snacks from Tesco.

I weigh in daily, like @4legsRbetterthan2 if you can get past the emotional effects of daily fluctuations, it can help you better understand your body and the effects different things have on it (sodium intake, changes in macros, alcohol and sleep amongst others). I record my Friday weigh in weekly in a weigh-in group here and that helps me to see the general trend, as long as it's going downward over time I'm happy.

As for keeping motivated only you can truly know what motivates you. For some people having "cheerleaders" helps, writing down goals can help and seeing other people's success stories can also help.

Check out the post stickied at the top of the Motivation & Support board http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300315/most-helpful-posts-motivation-and-support-must-reads#latest
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hello everyone so I'm newish here and I'm fed up of making excuses and something has just clicked in my body making me 100% devoted to becoming healthier,

All of this depends on what you want to do. I don't do meal prep for the most part because I always end up changing my mind due to my varying tastes for the day. I weigh myself daily but not too many agree with doing that. I only log my weigh-ins on Mondays though. I stay motivated by keeping an old picture of me at 41 years old when I was at my ideal weight and it's on my mirror in my bedroom. I look at it daily and think about where I would like to be again one day because that was when I felt healthy and had energy.
  • KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I don't so much meal prep, as I make sure to meal plan and grocery shop for all the items to make those specific meals. I have it planned out as to which nights I'll eat those meals, but if it doesn't sound appetizing, I can always trade it out for one of the meals I haven't had yet. I try to make sure there's a protein in each dinner meal that can easily be tossed over a salad for lunch, so I try to keep lettuce on hand at all times.

I weigh myself daily. Initially it was frustrating, but two months in now and I understand the weight fluctuations and I can guess which direction the scale is going to go the next morning based on what I ate and how much I worked out today.

Personally, my motivation is my girls - I want to be around for them for a very long time. I have a couple other superficial goals (like not wanting to buy a new karate uniform & belt - the belts take FOREVER to break in) & wanting to fit back into some of my "cuter" clothes. I've found a few various weight loss challenges in the forums that I've joined and post an update weekly and that's really helping with the accountability.

Feel free to add me if you want someone to help with accountability - I'm pretty active on here. :smile:

• bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Meal prep works so well for me! It's so easy to grab. There are honestly times when I don't want what I have prepped, but I am committed so I eat it and it has truly paid off on the scale. The last thing I want to say it that motivation comes and goes. There will be days you are motivated and days you are not. Keep in mind that you will need more than just motivation to be successful. You will need DEDICATION, PERSISTANCE AND COMMITTIMENT. Your success will come with consistency. There is not end point on this journey. You may reach certain goals and change your game plan, but you should have the mindset that this is a lifelong commitment. BEST OF LUCK! YOU CAN DO IT