Intermittent Fasting

Options
Anyone tried it/doing it?

I've been reading up about it and think it will benefit my lifestyle loads, so I was just wondering if there were others who'd tried it and were successful.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm successful at it. I only eat within a certain time frame each day because it works for me

(in what way are you wanting it to be successful?)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever fits your lifestyle. A meal schedule that makes it easy for you to hit your calorie goal, fits your lifestyle.

I have successfully eaten up to seven meals per day, but now I enjoy eating three meals or maybe a fourth if I'm still hungry.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i tried it... but i like breakfast... i did find it useful and it made me eat a little more mindfully - eating when hungry not because it was 'lunch time' or whatever.

IF is just an eating style - if it works for you, great, if not it wont affect your ability to lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit.
  • justkc
    justkc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started a week and a half ago and I lost 4 lbs :). I'm not perfect at it but I try to do it 5 times a week at least. I am actually able to stay fuller for longer on this since I'm able to eat big meals within the eating time. Not unlike before where I ate small meals throughout the day. That made me hungry most of the time.
  • gazellefish
    gazellefish Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have PCOS/insulin-resistance and I've been doing IF for almost two months. I've lost 18lbs since 1//171 and I can't say for sure it's because of the fasting it is definitely helping! I eat between noon-8pm most days (Sundays we go to farmer's market around 10am and I break the fast).

However - I also eat at a caloric deficit and work out 4-5x a week. I figure that if nothing else, IF is helping me to cut back on calories (no cream/sugar coffee in the morning, no late night eating, etc.) and increasing my water intake.

When I first started my mentality was to just try it until I felt sick. I never felt sick, so I never stopped. Listen to your body. Sometimes I eat earlier or later, as I want it to be a sustainable life choice.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I tried 16:8 and couldn't stand it. I always had bad breadth and never adjusted so I was always starving by breakfast time (around 7am for me). I didn't lose any weight faster, so I went back to 3 large meals and a protein shake before my workout.

But ultimately, it's about dietary adherence and compliance.
  • Aclaire88
    Aclaire88 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't fast so much as reduce caloric intake to 500 - 1000, depending on how active I am. This works for me 3 or so days a week. I don't mind doing it as my diet is still nutritionally balanced and I don't have any deficiencies. So far finding this app helpful for that reason, easily checking the nutrients of food. I also drink plenty of water and go to bed early on these days, I feel hungry but it's inevitable.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I currently practice a 19:5 or 20:4 IF split. I started on a 16:8 split, which was pretty natural for me anyway. I've found it compliments my LCHF diet very well.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF in one form or another going on 5 years now. It works well with my schedule and helps me with calorie adherence :)
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have been doing this pretty much my whole life without knowing it had an official designation - and I have been both fat and not so fat during my life, so in and of itself, IF doesnt cause weight loss. It is a style of eating that, taken in conjunction with calorie counting, can make some people feel more satiated, less hungry and in so doing, help them control their eating behaviour more easily