Anyone other ladies around my size???

Options
I'm looking to see how it is going, and get ideas form people around my size. I am 5'10 and about 178lbs. I need any advice/help you can give me, I have lost weight but my stomach is a huge problem area for me. Just hoping that theres other people out there that are in the same boat as me.

Thanks,

Jill

Replies

• gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm only 5'3, but started at 253 and am down to 166 now. Stomach and thighs are my biggest problem areas remaining. Starting to do things like situps, leg lifts, lunges, etc. I also do a lot of walking and swimming. I'm starting to do some strengthening exercises and looking for some ideas as well. Slow and steady.
  • fultzjaf
    fultzjaf Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I HATE lunges, lol. But I will do them if it helps me. :laugh:
  • LHSHokie
    LHSHokie Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm pretty close to where you are ... I'm 5'6" and 181 lbs. I have lost quite a bit of weight in the past year (72 pounds), but I feel like I'm only seeing it from my waist up ... so I know how you feel. I've gone down to a size medium shirt, but still have to wear XL shorts.
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    well i'm 5'2 and when i started out i was 176 pounds, and now i'm 162.2 but my stomach area has always been a problem for me! i really noticed a HUGE difference though when i started the thirty day shred, the ab exercises really help get rid of fat,--but not gain muscle! running all around tones your body too! good luck! :)
  • jimenez0312
    Options
    I just started about 3 weeks ago. I lost maybe a pound but i feel i should be further. Im sure ive lost inches tho. I just dont bother weighing myself or measuring. My stomach area is the worst part too. ALl ive been doing is working out. Going to the gym, zumba, walking, anything helps. on the diet size i do kirkland shakes, lots of fruit, water, and some regular food just smaller portions. ive taked down fast food and soda since those were my addictions. Dont get discouraged this will be a long journey. feel free to add me if you'd like. good luck
  • lazybis
    lazybis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi

I suppose I'm about your size. I'm about 175 pounds and 5'11". Need to loose approximately 30 pounds. Joined today :)

I'm so bad at exercising :(

Maybe we can motivate each other :)
  • jimenez0312
    Options
    what is the 30 day shred?
  • fultzjaf
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! I love all the support and kindness of MFP. Anyone feel free to add me, thanks again!!
  • katiebug3268
    katiebug3268 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and weighed 182 lbs. when I first started this program. So far I weigh 171 lbs. and still counting. I am pretty inactive during the summer so what I have been doing to stay fit and lose weight is 45-60 minutes of workouts each day and drink plenty of water. I have recently been following weight watchers along with this program the past couple of days and have felt more full (food wise). Good luck!!!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't like lunges either, but I've come to learn that usually the things I hate doing (lunges, oh and don't forget squats, and jogging) are usually the things that help you the most. And...sometimes you end up learning that you hated them cuz they were hard to do, but as you start to get more comfortable with them, you actually realized you enjoy doing them - or at least the feeling of accomplishment you have afterwards. I used to hate walking but now I love it and have even started to incorporate jogging in small spurts.
  • gsarro
    gsarro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am only one inch shorter than you and was 183 when I started. I am now at 178 and find my bottom half is my biggest problem. Exercising is certainly the key and I have also heard lunges are the way to go for thighs, I have tried some strength training for my core and it seemed to aid in firming my stomach and made me feel overall better. My hardest is excercising so I try it more with my diet like I will drink vodka as opposed to beer and cut down on my carbs. The more you put into it the more you get out. Imagine if I kept my diet different AND exercised, wow I would be nearly at my goal by now. :smile:
  • stephelan
    stephelan Posts: 81
    Options
    We are exactly the same height and weight! I´d love to give you some advice but I´ve been plateaued here for about a year.

I´m thinking of trying the P90X starting on August 1st. I´ve attempted it before and it worked great while I was doing it but I think FINISHING it would be a success story!
  • fultzjaf
    Options
    I am only one inch shorter than you and was 183 when I started. I am now at 178 and find my bottom half is my biggest problem. Exercising is certainly the key and I have also heard lunges are the way to go for thighs, I have tried some strength training for my core and it seemed to aid in firming my stomach and made me feel overall better. My hardest is excercising so I try it more with my diet like I will drink vodka as opposed to beer and cut down on my carbs. The more you put into it the more you get out. Imagine if I kept my diet different AND exercised, wow I would be nearly at my goal by now. :smile:

lol, yeah I was the same way before. I would diet but not exercise. But now I have been trying the past few weeks and it tstinks! But I am getting better at some things. Thanks
  • fultzjaf
    Options
    We are exactly the same height and weight! I´d love to give you some advice but I´ve been plateaued here for about a year.

I´m thinking of trying the P90X starting on August 1st. I´ve attempted it before and it worked great while I was doing it but I think FINISHING it would be a success story!

Cool! I don't like hitting a plateau....Good luck on the P90X. I am new at exercising so I think that might kill me! haha.
  • fultzjaf
    Options
    Yeah I don't like lunges either, but I've come to learn that usually the things I hate doing (lunges, oh and don't forget squats, and jogging) are usually the things that help you the most. And...sometimes you end up learning that you hated them cuz they were hard to do, but as you start to get more comfortable with them, you actually realized you enjoy doing them - or at least the feeling of accomplishment you have afterwards. I used to hate walking but now I love it and have even started to incorporate jogging in small spurts.

I know you are right, bad things are really good for you. I hope that I do get better, I have just been exercising for the past few weeks and I hope to get better and do more. Right now I can only do the elliptical for 10 min but I also walk around my neighborhood and it's uphill and downhill so I'm working on it. I wanna start jogging soon, if I can catch my breath! Thanks!
  • stephelan
    stephelan Posts: 81
    Options
    There are different levels of P90X that you can try so maybe lean would be a good starting?

However, if you don´t want to try that, there are lots of other ones you can. The same guy who does the P90X also has Ten Minute Trainers. I recommend the entire Beachbody website to try and find something for you. (And if not, I second the 30 Day Shred. I´ve never tried it but I´ve only heard good things about it.)
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ha, I'm 5'10 and about 178 exactly right now. I started at 223 on MFP.... got down to one pound within my goal weight of 173, then went to Spain for a month.... so back up to 178!

I'm not focusing on weight loss any more, more lowering body fat. My lovely beautiful stomach roll (yes, it's a roll) has gotten considerably smaller, but is still a roll. I was just doing mainly cardio (ok, really, only cardio) before Spain, now I've started personal training 3x a week, and am doing cardio on my off days. So my focus now is gaining muscle.
  • fultzjaf
    Options
    There are different levels of P90X that you can try so maybe lean would be a good starting?

However, if you don´t want to try that, there are lots of other ones you can. The same guy who does the P90X also has Ten Minute Trainers. I recommend the entire Beachbody website to try and find something for you. (And if not, I second the 30 Day Shred. I´ve never tried it but I´ve only heard good things about it.)

I have 30 day shred but I just haven't tried it yet. I need a dvd player in my basement, bad excuse i know. But I am a little scared of it too from what I hear all of these are killer workouts, and I'm afraid I can't do them cuz I'm new to exercise and not up to those kinds of levels yet......Maybe they have an "easier" level on them? lol. Thanks, and I'll look into the P90X.
  • fultzjaf
    Options
    Ha, I'm 5'10 and about 178 exactly right now. I started at 223 on MFP.... got down to one pound within my goal weight of 173, then went to Spain for a month.... so back up to 178!

I'm not focusing on weight loss any more, more lowering body fat. My lovely beautiful stomach roll (yes, it's a roll) has gotten considerably smaller, but is still a roll. I was just doing mainly cardio (ok, really, only cardio) before Spain, now I've started personal training 3x a week, and am doing cardio on my off days. So my focus now is gaining muscle.

I was 235 at my highest and was 206 when I started on MFP. I've gotten dow to as low as 175, but with moving and traveling and things I keep yo yoing around 178 or so. I can't seem to get lower, even now that I am starting to exercise. It's cool that your my size, haha. Thanks!
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I have 30 day shred but I just haven't tried it yet. I need a dvd player in my basement, bad excuse i know. But I am a little scared of it too from what I hear all of these are killer workouts, and I'm afraid I can't do them cuz I'm new to exercise and not up to those kinds of levels yet......Maybe they have an "easier" level on them? lol. Thanks, and I'll look into the P90X.

It's all about modifying your workout. When I first tried P90X I was around 210 and barely completed half of the workouts, but I would continue to run in place, do ballistic stretches, or march so that I would still be doing something. I know P90X gives lots of modfying moves that I use now that I'm trying it for the first time (never completed it) and am now 179. Also about the workouts you hate, I completely loathed Yoga the first time I attempted P90X but this time around I could actually keep up with most of it and it was ssssoo satisfying knowing that I could get through it when I was having so many problems the first time. So hang in there and good luck!