Female workouts that help burn calories

Options
To all the females what are the best workouts routine you use? And how long do you work out and how many times a week?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Progressive lifting upper and lower splits 4 days a week and ~60-90 minutes of cardio per week.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill and if I go to a park sometimes I will walk around the track.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting 4 times a week.
  • txchics
    txchics Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have decided to go back to general basic exercises like we all did when younger. I even whipped out my 80s Aerobics tape to start my mornings off. Mountain Biking on our farm is great & I mapped out a jogging/walking/hunting path that works well. Hula Hooping has turned out to be fun, I found some fun videos on You Tube to follow. The Bowflex is now beginning to get used other than a clothes rack. Having fun is what works for me.
  • melissaallen24
    melissaallen24 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've started swimming for 30/40 minutes 3/4 times a week!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting 4 times a week.

Same here.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I lift weights using the Stronglifts program, but I'm thinking of switching to Strong Curves, because the butt. I'm also working on running a 10K distance using the RunDouble app. I recently finished Couch to 5K. I take an easy day to do gentle yoga or bird watching every week. At the end of this month I plan on buying a mountain bike for my birthday and if it ever stops snowing I'll replace a run day or two with cycling. Come summer I'll fit in a few kayak days as well.

It takes me 30 minutes to an hour three days a week to lift. I run three days a week and being a slow poke it takes me a little over an hour to make the program distance, but I often get carried away running somewhere pretty and take another hour to walk back home. I spend maybe 30 minutes doing yoga and an hour or so wandering around with my husband looking at birds. Once I get a bike appropriate for the local terrain I could be gone for hours, because cycling is more of a hobby than fitness goal for me.

I think the best workout for you is the one you enjoy. For me the line between exercise and hobby is blurred and it makes getting out and doing those things a joy. The only thing I do that feels like a task is lifting, but the results translate over to my other activities and daily life, so I do it anyways.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Running 2-4 days/week (40 min - 2 hrs)
    Strength training 2-3 days/week (1-2 hrs)
    Walking 1 day/wk (30min-1hr)
    Dancing 5-6 days/week (1.5-3 hrs, 3-5 hrs weekends)
    Hiking/Trail running: varies (0-2 days/wk)(2-5 hrs)
    Cycling season will be starting back up again soon for 2-4 days/wk (will replace some running, strength training)(1.5-3 hrs).

(edited to add approximate time spans)
  • Kolonita
    Kolonita Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I used to do (insanity workout) before but after delivery it seems to be too hard for me so I started ( 30 day shred ) hopefully this will make a difference
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Running for me!
  • dieter1161
    dieter1161 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Walking dvds Leslie sansone and Jessica smith
  • scgfitlife
    scgfitlife Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've been going on Pinterest lately and searching at home HIIT workouts. I have incorporated those along with the Bikini Body Guide (by Kayla Itsines, I've been doing it since January). I try to be active at least 6x a week. Slowly trying to incorporate lifting now that I have met my overall weight loss goal.
  • yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yep, doesn't have to be "female" this or that. That's branding designed to sell something. You want to lose weight? Eat less and exercise more. All I need is MFP counting my kcal and a decent weight training program. Lift heavy weights and the pds will melt fast! When I say heavy I mean whats heavy to you. That will get your heartrate up and fatburning in gear. Keep at it we all got this!
  • tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Females? They burn calories by twerking. Twerk, twerk, twerk all day long ;)