Stuck at a plateau

Options
BrookeRunningMom
BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
edited March 2017 in Success Stories
Hey, I started my journey Nov 15 2016 I was 156lbs now I'm stuck at a plateau at 123lbs. Im about 24% body fat would like to get to to about 20% and wieght of around 115lbs (im 5 3) should I increase the cardio and wieghts ?

Replies

• bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    That is a difficult question to answer without knowing what you are doing now ( calories/ exercise ) . You will lose weight a lot slower because of your current weight. I would say lift weights for sure. I am a strong believer in weight lifting
  • ChristineCoen
    ChristineCoen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress first of all!!

All this will depend on what you are currently doing. If you can take the time to write out what is your current weight lifting and cardio program like? And what is your calorie and macro breakdown? I can give you some serious direction.

Hope this helps!
    Christine Coen
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    ^^ What the previous posters have said; if you go into more detail about what/how much you're doing and eating there are plenty of knowledgeable people who will be able to make suggestions.

That being said, has total progress stalled or just the number on the scale? How are you measuring body fat %?

As someone who tends to fixate on number and metrics, I too have struggled with stretches myself where the numbers for weight and body fat are stagnant though I'm still progressing in my lifts and noticing aesthetic improvement in the mirror and getting requisite feedback from others noticing improvement in my physique. Barring any new information, if you feel like you're taking care of business in the gym and in the kitchen, stay the course, stay accountable, and persevere.

However, you have to be honest with yourself. Are you blaming a stall in progress on a "plateau" when there have been missed workouts, less-than-ideal foods not logged. Maybe you're to the point a few months in where you've progressed passed your current exercise load and you need to take things up a notch.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cmc228 wrote: »
    Awesome progress first of all!!

All this will depend on what you are currently doing. If you can take the time to write out what is your current weight lifting and cardio program like? And what is your calorie and macro breakdown? I can give you some serious direction.

Hope this helps!
    Christine Coen

Hi sorry not enought information. I do 20 minutes on the treadmill. Then I do 40 Bridges, 25 bicep curls each arm, 20 tricep extensions, 25 dumbbell rows 30 donkey kicks each leg then I just bought a excercise ball with 2lbs weight in it and started doing 10 ball passes that kill. 10lbs weight may not seem like alot but it is for me at the moment. An I only do all those once. Im taking in 1500 calories and i breast feed to. I have problem area in my thighs bum and belly. I have two children too. 1i8qa66lhdnd.jpg
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    kettlebell...its amazing. Also perhaps you arent getting enough protein for your body?
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    and especially if you are breastfeeding. I took classes to be a breastfeeding peer counselor. I was also a personal trainer and group fitness instructor before i got so sick and gained some weight back. Sometimes we get stuck because we need to change it up to confuse our body. Try changing your activity. I suggest kettlebell and feel free to email me and ask about dvds as I have several. I have a hunch you are not getting enough protein. Try changing your foods around too. Dont eat same thing every day.
  • elothen
    elothen Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well I'm just an idiot male but it's my understanding that your body will specifically hold on to fat while you're breast feeding. It's essential nutrients for the baby.

That being said I'd add squats to your regimen. They'll round out that butt and building leg muscle will increase your passive calorie burn. Then when your done breast feeding those pounds will just fall off.

Looking great though girl, keep at it!
  • BrookeRunningMom
    Options
    That would make alot of sense thank you !!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!