Vanity Sizing Out of Control?

Options

Replies

• KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sizing itself is just odd and increasingly seems random.

A while ago I bought some jeans from Marks and Spencer (UK clothing shop). They came in several colours, but in the shop they only had navy blue in "my" size so I bought those and ordered a grey and a chocolate pair from the internet. Exact same jeans, same size on the label, everything.

Well, the grey ones didn't have a snowball's chance of doing up, let alone fitting, and the chocolate ones wouldn't even stay up convincingly with the aid of a belt! (They both got sent back).

I don't get it. Is modern quality control that awful?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Old Navy... it's funny. I always used to think everyone was silly who talked about the exaggerated vanity sizing. And then I tried on a different cut than I usually wore. NIGHT AND DAY. There's almost a full size difference between the Rockstar cut of jeans and the Curvy cut of jeans in the same size. The Curvy run smaller, oddly enough. I'd always worn the curvy cuts.

Rockstar size 0's fall off me. It's ridiculous. Curvy's fit just fine... sort of. I'm not really curvy any more. There's a little room in back.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sizing itself is just odd and increasingly seems random.

A while ago I bought some jeans from Marks and Spencer (UK clothing shop). They came in several colours, but in the shop they only had navy blue in "my" size so I bought those and ordered a grey and a chocolate pair from the internet. Exact same jeans, same size on the label, everything.

Well, the grey ones didn't have a snowball's chance of doing up, let alone fitting, and the chocolate ones wouldn't even stay up convincingly with the aid of a belt! (They both got sent back).

I don't get it. Is modern quality control that awful?
    Nah, that's just M&S. M&S has a particular problem with size fluctuation within the same design. They're notorious for it.

According to someone else, it's because sometimes different colourways of their clothes end up being produced in different factories, and so pattern variation develops. They also have mix-ups and send clothes made overseas (e.g. developing countries) for the average shape of customers at their overseas stores in other countries (e.g. Turkey) back to the UK.

• gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The struggle is real. I'm 5'4", 125, and wear a 2 in Ann Taylor Loft jeans...and they're getting big. I have a 0 in the stretchier dark wash. What?? It's worse at the regular Ann Taylor--IF any dress fits, it's a 0. Some are too big.

Are you kidding? I'm not a 0. Im definitely not under a 0. Where do petite ladies shop? I still have inches to lose, so not sure where I'll shop then. No 00 at AT (there is at Loft, ::whew::). I'm not juniors shaped and I'm a 35 yo mom of 4--not going to wear clothes made for a teenager.
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Yes, Old Navy is particularly bad about vanity sizing...but toss a girl a bone here! I was at the deepest end of the plus sized stores. I feel like I rock those (vanity) size 12 jeans.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Old Navy's sizes are BS - always have been. I am tall, weigh about 200 lbs & I have size 12-14 pants from them. I hate them anyway, because they stretch out SO much while you wear them, by the end of the day I need a belt. I like their tops because they have tall sizes & I can wear med/large. The men's tall sizes run small though. Makes no sense! I wish every brand would just use actual measurements for sizes.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm having the opposite issue ... I went pants shopping the other day and had a horrible time. I shop at Maurices usually for my work pants, and I'm in between their sizes. The 15/16 is too big, but the 13/14 is way to small. So I decide to go home and dig around to see what I have for pants. Well, I found a brand new pair of their pants (same style I tried on in store) in 13/14 that I bought 2+ years ago. Never worn or washed. Fit perfect. So, why can that pair form a couple years ago fit perfectly, but the same size in the store now I can't even button?

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Even italian brands are vanity sizing now. It's INSANE. I have size 38 clothing that is made in Italy (Pinko, Moschino) and there's just no way it's legit. I wear 0s in almost everything. When I was at my thinnest, I struggled to find clothes that fit at all.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yeah just a good reason not to allow the label on my pants determine my self-worth...
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    This is why I tell my husband to NOT buy me clothes! He doesn't understand why he can't just buy me a certain size in anything and have it fit. I tell him I HAVE to try everything on!!
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree it is annoying to not know what size to grab (but looking at the clothing helps), but the problem, if there is one, is that women's clothing sizes are completely arbitrary. You can't say sizes are "wrong" because there is no real definition of what a size should be. If women's clothing were sized like most men's clothing (i.e. in standardized measurements such as inches or centimeters) this wouldn't be a problem.

• flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Where do petite ladies shop? I still have inches to lose, so not sure where I'll shop then. No 00 at AT (there is at Loft, ::whew::). I'm not juniors shaped and I'm a 35 yo mom of 4--not going to wear clothes made for a teenager.

H&M Kids, the Juniors rack at Winners, Forever 21, Hot Topic. Yes, I'm in my mid-50s and shop at Hot Topic. They're not technically clothes made for a teenager if they're off the 'tween's rack. ;)

Go to Chinatown. Chinese garments (i.e. garments made in China by Chinese domestic labels for Chinese women versus garments for export) are much smaller overall.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    Vanity sizing makes sense when you remember that sizes are tailored not to women's bodies but to the desired demographic of the retailer. This is why a Medium at Forever 21 (age demographic 16-25) is much smaller than a Medium at Reitmans (where the age target is 35-50). Because an average twenty year old is a different size and shape than an average forty year old.

Old Navy clothing is enormous. I don't know what they're up to. H&M is teeny tiny; it's where my 85 lb mother shops because it's the only store that carries pants small enough.

This video explains it well. Fun trivia: In 1947 a size 8 was equivalent to a modern 00.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7QwlT5f7H1c
    This. So much this.

Retailers aim to sell clothes to fit their customers, how big or small the population is. Taking Old Navy for a minute, don't think of their size numbering system as meaning something objective. Those numbers aren't particular sizes, and they should be read as "Much Smaller than Current Average Old Navy Customer", "Smaller than Average Old Navy Customer", "Current Average Old Navy Customer", "Larger than Average Old Navy Customer", "Much Larger than Average Old Navy Customer", and so on. It is simply convention that most stores have always numbered their best-selling sizes, instead of labelling them XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL.

LOL, this worries me. When I was last at my happy size in my mid twenties I could only shop in the juniors, girls, or petite sections. A misses small was huge on me. I don't think they had XS back then. I had a hard enough time finding professional looking clothes for my first grown-up job at 25. I can't even imagine shopping for tiny clothes in my late thirties. Dressing like a tween will just not be cute and if things haven't changed I'm still about 30 years too young for the petites.

I know ON has petites aimed at younger women, but my size 20 backside fits great into their XLP running tights, so I don't think that will help me in the long run.
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    LOL - vanity sizing.. *sighs* Shopping takes SOOO much longer, now. I used to just roll through the fat ladies store and grab the biggest size and HOPE it would fit around me... for years 4x was my go-to size...

I am 5' 4" and currently at 207 lbs.

Today, I am wearing a size 22 pant and a size 28 sweater (which is admittedly not tight) from 18 years ago.

Yesterday, I wore a size 16 pant (White Stag) and a size XL shirt that I recently purchased at Walmart.

I am most consistently fitting into 16/18 and XL or XXL stuff - but my old clothes tell me that the sizing has definitely changed over the last 18 years.

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I have a bigger issue with tops. I find vanity sizing to be an issue and ALL brands of tops to be cut to like maternity tops. I'm small on top, but xs fits like a poncho. I would need like xxxs.

I bought a cute Pickachu shirt for my 8 year old son (boys' medium). It fits me perfectly; we've been arguing about who gets to wear the shirt.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a bigger issue with tops. I find vanity sizing to be an issue and ALL brands of tops to be cut to like maternity tops. I'm small on top, but xs fits like a poncho. I would need like xxxs.

I bought a cute Pickachu shirt for my 8 year old son (boys' medium). It fits me perfectly; we've been arguing about who gets to wear the shirt.

I just have to say that I would 100% want to wear that shirt also... Actually, I'm a little jealous
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Definitely real- I wish women's clothes were like men's- just an actual measurement of waist and inseam. In high school I was 115 pounds and I wore a size 7. During my weight loss journey I was buying at thrift stores to save money and even after I reached my goal of 125 I just bought from a thrift store and I am a size 6 or 8 depending, but a thrift store has older clothes. I don't know what I would wear these days new. I will say I'm a pear shape so any extra weight has always been carried in the hips and thighs, so someone who weighs the same as me could wear a smaller size, but I always just roll my eyes when I see a weight loss story or article that says "I now weigh 160 and I'm a size 4!" Ummm.... no you're really not. True sizes are found if you sew your own clothes. I work at a high school and the girls get quite upset when they have to buy the fabric for the measurements and sizes they wear because it puts them at a much bigger size - pattern sizes have not changed at all. So the sewing teacher gets out what looks to be a very tiny skirt- looks like size 3 or 5 (one she wore in high school) and asks them to guess the size. She shows them the tag then and it's a size 9. One thing though- if you shop in the juniors section it seems to be the opposite. A size XL in juniors is like a small in misses clothes. Go figure, because I can't.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

That style is driving me crazy. I finally have a waist and everything is that swing or boyfriend cut. There's nothing like an ill fitting shirt to make me look like I've found all the weight I've lost. I think I need to start shopping thrift stores for all the discarded 90's baby tees.
  • MelonColleyMom
    MelonColleyMom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of size 24 jeans from a few years ago that barely button, and I'm currently wearing size 18 jeans bought new from the same store (Torrid). It's crazy!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!