Fed up with feeling bad about your body because of Instagram!??

Options
Hi all

28yo weakling from Australia.

I have been struggling with low self esteem ... forever!

Decided this year would be the year i stop:
- poking and prodding at my love handels
- buying baggy clothing
- lying dead after 3 'girly' push ups
- avoiding swimming
- comparing myself to Instamodels!

And start:
- taking responsibility for my health & fitness
- exercising regularly
- building strength
- loving myself

Happy International Women's Day! (8 March)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    What society deems as acceptable is the problem. There are going to be MILLIONS of people who genetically cannot look like a model. So why is it trying to be achieved?
    Get in the best shape you can and be healthy. Only a handful of people in the world are on TV or movies. The rest of real life don't have a lot of these people running around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I don't think we can blame feeling bad about our bodies on Instagram.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I think we can confidently say that it is part of the problem, along with all social media in general

Only if you allow it. We all have a free choice in whether we go to Instagram. It is easy to blame a single website, but even the OP states that she has, "been struggling with low self esteem ... forever!" Maybe for people who struggle such a website may not help but Instagram is not to blame. There is a deeper problem that would exist even if Instagram were stricken from existence right now. Further more if so many feel that such a website is the actual problem then stop taking your traffic there. Abandon the site.
    Options

I think we can confidently say that it is part of the problem, along with all social media in general

Only if you allow it. We all have a free choice in whether we go to Instagram. It is easy to blame a single website, but even the OP states that she has, "been struggling with low self esteem ... forever!" Maybe for people who struggle such a website may not help but Instagram is not to blame. There is a deeper problem that would exist even if Instagram were stricken from existence right now.

you're just arguing semantics

How so? I am stating the reality. This low self esteem problem has been around long before even the internet was born. Also even long before the age of photo shopping and air brushing images until they no longer resemble real people anymore. This is just true. We can't blame an age old problem on new things.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    You can start by not calling yourself names.
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Only if you allow it. We all have a free choice in whether we go to Instagram. It is easy to blame a single website, but even the OP states that she has, "been struggling with low self esteem ... forever!" Maybe for people who struggle such a website may not help but Instagram is not to blame. There is a deeper problem that would exist even if Instagram were stricken from existence right now.

you're just arguing semantics

How so? I am stating the reality. This low self esteem problem has been around long before even the internet was born. Also even long before the age of photo shopping and air brushing images until they no longer resemble real people anymore. This is just true. We can't blame an age old problem on new things.

I didn't say instagram causes the problem, if you read my post. I said it exacerbates it and that is true. It's asinine to think that the majority of people are going to quit their social medias anyways, as it is ingrained in everyone's life who was born in the last 30 or so years

And if you read mine you would see that I also said the same. Different wordage. You claim I was playing semantics but also agree? Interesting. Please see this line in my previous comment. "Maybe for people who struggle such a website may not help, but Instagram is not to blame."
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I do not feel bad about my body because of seeing others with "attractive"bodies. I don't know that I ever have.

Anytime I looked at my body with disgust it was simply because I was disgusted that I have let myself become obese - I did it. Through neglect and overeating. I don't find it upsetting to see others who are physically fit....I also am not hating on myself either - I am doing something about it.

I've been back logging daily, exercising daily - lost nearly 14 lbs so far - that makes me happy every time I look in the mirror - in spite of the Instamodels.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    ACHynson wrote: »
    Hi all

28yo weakling from Australia.

- poking and prodding at my love handels
    - buying baggy clothing
    - avoiding swimming

And start:
    - exercising regularly
    - building strength
    - loving myself

You are beautiful inside and out.
    Don't let the media and other people define you. Live life with no regret and define yourself. Be your own amazing.

I applaud you for your goals
    - exercising regularly
    - building strength
    - loving myself

We are all a work in progress, never give up on yourself.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Haha - As I've grown older (and somewhat wiser), I care less what others think of me and how I view myself. I also do not compare myself to other women (I do appreciate other women's hard work.) I compete with myself, example: can I do more reps at the gym than last week, can I add a little more weight to the bar, am I seeing muscles coming out more in the mirror, is my endurance improving. So, Yes - I still enjoy pictures/Instagram of other women but I believe in myself and I have overcome so so much already in this life (I feel like a warrior).

Kudos to you for taking back your life and holding yourself responsible to take action. I took back my life a long time ago and it left me feeling empowered and happy. Be your own hero :smiley:
  • GinaAC83
    GinaAC83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I do not feel bad about my body because of seeing others with "attractive"bodies. I don't know that I ever have.

Anytime I looked at my body with disgust it was simply because I was disgusted that I have let myself become obese - I did it. Through neglect and overeating. I don't find it upsetting to see others who are physically fit....I also am not hating on myself either - I am doing something about it.

I've been back logging daily, exercising daily - lost nearly 14 lbs so far - that makes me happy every time I look in the mirror - in spite of the Instamodels.

I agree, and good for you! :) I also don't feel bad when I see others better fit then I am. Instead I see it as motivation that I can do it as well! My best friend was born with cerebral palsy and walks with a walker and needless to say, has limitations. But for the past year and a half she's been working out (now a bit more obsessively then before) and her body is AMAZING! If she can do it with limitations, then I can do it with none. Good luck and keep it up! :)
  • mmccloy12
    mmccloy12 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good for you! The first step to change a low self esteem is realizing the problem and making steps to love yourself in your own way. If that means not going on social media than so be it. I do agree if you are going to love yourself, you should stop calling yourself a weakling....lol! How about a "weakling that is making changes in her life!" or something positive like that:) I stopped going on FB and IG after the first of the year. Not because I didn't want to see the "beautiful" people, but because I was tired of the fakeness, the negativity, the politics and most of all, the time it was wasting! I would much rather be walking, or playing with my son, or preparing my meals to be a better me. So again, good for you and good luck!
  • cjprobresith
    cjprobresith Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The wealth you have gained with those simple actions will pay out more than you know. Kudos for everyone striving to reach higher grounds
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

ACHynson wrote: »
    Hi all

28yo Strong Beautiful Powerful Woman from Australia.

- poking and prodding at my love handles
    - buying baggy clothing
    - avoiding swimming

And start:
    - exercising regularly
    - building strength
    - loving myself

@ACHynson

• Aclaire88
    Aclaire88 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »
    First: Happy International Women's Day to you!
    Second: To your title "...because of Instagram..." as a new year's resolution I shut off FB, IG, and TWTR on 1/1/17 and I am much happier without them. Works for me...may not for others, but that's my experience so far.
    Third: Best of luck and welcome...I am going on 3 weeks with MFP. The support and positivity is pretty good here.

Thank you! Support and positivity is what I'm after :smiley:
    I must admit, I deactivate IG regularly but haven't gotten completely rid of it (it does have some positives) but I don't have any other forms of social media (other than this). I know that beautiful people will be thrown at us wherever we are so my goal is to stop giving a cr#p! :wink:
    Best of luck with your journey!