How to quit cigarettes

Options
I've been smoking anywhere from half a pack to a whole pack a day for about three years now and have been wanting to quit so badly. As someone with anxiety and bipolar depression quitting is extra difficult since my body treats it as an anti depressants and anti anxiety. Looking for tips and advice on how to quit? What worked for you or someone you know?

I'm trying to get healthy in all aspects of my life. Thanks in advance for all of the help! It's much appreciated.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just stopped, don't know if there should be more to it.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was cold turkey, however, I did not have anxiety and bipolar depression. Could doing something else work as an anti depressant/anti anxiety instead? Things like reading, walking, yoga, meditation? You may not be able to do all those things regularly during the day but when you want a cigarette, you could take 5 minutes to meditate and relax your mind. There are all forms of meditation :smile: Even just closing your eyes and taking deep breaths. Just throwing things out there to try and help.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 30 years and have not smoked for 8 years now. I used hypnosis and the website www.whyquit.com. where I found alot of support. The first 3-3 days were the worst, with lots of sweating and some dizzy spells, but I got through it. I wish you well in your process to become smoke free, you can do it!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The same way we stop overeating: ceasing to put things in our mouths. They both literally require nothing more than inaction.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    Quiting is no easy task, it requires more than just putting down the smokes. You need to identify your triggers, going out with coworkers, driving, drinking, etc. and figure out a strategy to handle your cravings. When I threw away mine, I kept gum in my car and started walking in the skyway during my work breaks. It does take weeks for the cravings to stop, but knowing how to handle the cravings will help.

Yes, I suppose it does help that I have no social life outside of spending time with my girlfriend.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Only thing that works for me is not being able to afford the cigarettes and I don't know anyone who will give me cigarettes.
  • JenniYo
    JenniYo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I have quit so many times. The last time I messed up I hadn't had a cigarette in 2 years. I am going on 9 weeks since I quit and I have had 2 mess-ups in that time. I have used every replacement under the sun and so far I think going cold turkey has been easier this time. When I would use a replacement, I would think about how I couldn't have a cigarette every time I would reach for it. I found a pretty interesting article about how your body is tricked into treating cigarettes like they are anti anxiety. If you want it let me know and I will dm you with it.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »
    Quiting is no easy task, it requires more than just putting down the smokes. You need to identify your triggers, going out with coworkers, driving, drinking, etc. and figure out a strategy to handle your cravings. When I threw away mine, I kept gum in my car and started walking in the skyway during my work breaks. It does take weeks for the cravings to stop, but knowing how to handle the cravings will help.

Triggers...that's the big thing. Something causes you to want that fix. It's hard it really is. I quit after 10 years. Then picked it back up and put it back down after three months. It's tough, but both times I went cold turkey and managed the situations that caused me to want to smoke better than I had in the past.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I smoked for about 8yrs, was off and on around 16 (before laws got super strict), stopped three times and restarted twice, all times cold turkey.
    I found that the first and second time I quit when I drove (when I smoked a lot) it helped to have a pen in my hands and something like gum, or even the pen cap, in my mouth, something to help with the physical part of it, it made the cravings easier to deal with. Socially drinking it was hard not to want a cigarette too, but I did my best (I think I had one or two). I started smoking again when I had a lot of stress in my life, quit again within a few months.
    When I went to pick up a cigarette again, it tasted like an ashtray. I made myself smoke the whole cigarette, almost threw up and that was the last time and urge I had.

It's not an easy thing, especially with the triggers discussed. Some people find it easier to wean themselves off smoking less, using the patch, going to vaping. Either way, you do have to deal with cravings because you are getting off the substance.
    As you're also dealing with mental depression/anxiety, it would be best to talk to a doctor to see if there is something you can take to counterbalance if you notice that you are having those symptoms come up.
  • JenniYo
    JenniYo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 30 years and have not smoked for 8 years now. I used hypnosis and the website www.whyquit.com. where I found alot of support. The first 3-3 days were the worst, with lots of sweating and some dizzy spells, but I got through it. I wish you well in your process to become smoke free, you can do it!

The first few days are hard, but that website is amazing. The more you educate yourself on what will happen to your body, the better. Its easier to handle when you know what's coming.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Mark Twain said it was easy to quit smoking - he had done it dozens of times!

I quit cold turkey about 20 years ago, but I was really a social smoker - only around friends and colleagues, out for drinks, that kind of thing (but i always smoked my own - no bumming!)

My sister quit using the previously mentioned Allan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking book - she thought it was brilliant.

I have two colleagues now who have used the nicotine "vape" thingies - one successfully, the other not so much.

Someone once told me that if you want to quit, you should watch yourself in a mirror as you smoke - not pretty. You pucker up your lips, your eyes go sorta squinty - anyway, its a thought.

Good luck!
  • Kevindagul
    Kevindagul Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free for about 11 months now. As someone who used to smoke AT LEAST a pack a day, I know how difficult it can be. Like one of the posters above said, finding out my triggers also really helped me. If getting healthy is also the plan, smoking is definitely not helping.

This is more of a personal reason why I quit, but I'll share anyways. Last summer I started working on the railroad. It was my very first day on the railroad gang, and I was a labourer. Basically my job was to swing a sledge hammer all day in the heat. Five minutes into my first day on the job, I had fallen way behind of my co-workers from my overall health. I eventually finished my part of the job, but I was soo embarrassed and ashamed of myself I tossed my pack and a half of smokes into the bush. From that day I promised myself I would quit smoking, and get into better shape.

First couple of weeks were pretty rough though, I was easily irritated and had difficulty sleeping but I got through it by just remembering how embarrassed I felt that first day of work.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

[quote="MomReborn; Another helpful device I use for my own anxiety and depression is a Fidget Cube. It is about the size of a small dice, and it has different little activities you can do with your fingers and thumbs. Mine has a switch on one side, a disk that you can rotate on another, and a funny little toggle on top. It's got some other little things on it, but those are my favorite :) It's pretty discreet, so you can mess with it whenever you feel stressed. Good luck to you![/quote]

OMG I just went on Amazon and ordered two of these - this is exactly my issue sometimes and why I ended up smoking in the first place (maybe it will help with food cravings too!) Thank you!!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off cigarettes gradually. My Mom popped a hot cinnamon candy in her mouth whenever she had a craving. A friend used Chantix , but you may not be able to take that particular medication. The only common thread I've found is that everyone tried and failed several times before actually quitting. Good luck!