Women over 40 beginning weight lifting

Options
I'm a mother of 6 and turning 45 this year. I am currently at my all time high weight of 176, which is bigger than I was when I walked into the hospital to deliver 3 of my kids. I am a former athlete with at least 40 lbs to lose and looking to re-discover the athlete inside me. I'm a busy working mom with a husband who travels frequently. I don't have any spare time, however I know that if I don't do something about my weight and fitness now, my overall health with suffer and...I'm not getting any younger! So I'm looking for some women over 40 that are looking to lose 25+ lbs to share some workout tips (specifically weight lifting) and motivate/harass each other into compliance! I'm not looking for the weak or the wafflers, I don't have time for that. So if you are serious about getting serious please send me a friend request and let's knock this out!

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am not looking for friends.

I just thought I might point you towards the groups. There are a number of groups formed around weight lifting programmes. Do a search for the weight lifting programme you are following. Theee may be a gaggle of like minded women you can interact with.

Cheers, h.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I am 41 years old. I have been lifting for a while (but I'm not a pro). I enjoy it mainly because of the results I've had. I started several years ago at home with the Body Beast dvd and then got a gym membership and now use BodySpace app through bodybuilding.com (they have tons of programs). The bulking stage is scary because you eat more to gain muscle, but do I love my muscle. :smiley: I am now trying to lean out a bit but keep the muscle I have, so far that's a challenge. Good luck
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'll be 44 this year and have been lifting for 6 months now. I only have one child and find it difficult at times to work out but I aim to get a least 2 workout sessions completed for the week. I also started in the 170's. Even though I have lost the bulk of my weight, I'm still trying to slim down some more in the midsection. I'll send you a FR. :smile:
  • v2name
    v2name Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Middlehaitch thanks for the tip...I'll definitely refine my search for more weightlifting
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    How do you get started! I've been drooling over the weight lifting area of my gym and been wanting to learn 'the cage', but can't get through intimidation. Not knowing routines, or how to start, and not wanting to pay an arm and a leg for a personal trainer.... so I settle for Barbell class, hehehe
  • jodyupton
    jodyupton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just starting here too. Just turned 41 yesterday. I have 4 kids. I'm 5'6"and weigh between 139 to 142 depending on the day. Looking to tone.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    NadiaMayl wrote: »
    How do you get started!

also [no offence] not looking for friends, but i'll answer this from sample-of-one.

i got started with stronglifts 5x5. scared out of my wits and no clue. i just really really really wanted to do it, but i didn't even know what the words were for the stuff that i wanted to do or the questions i had. so the sl site's tone could not be less female-friendly, but the point for me was it had a template that i knew i could take with me to the gym.

an mfp member sent me a copy of mark rippetoe's book starting strength after a couple of months and that was huge too. it's so worth doing.
  • sarasmile01
    sarasmile01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just started weight lifting recently and yoga. I do have a weight set in my home which I use. For arms, I am using 10 lb weights with 3 reps of 10, 5, 3 on each side. Have just begun doing legs and could use some help there. Best wishes to all of you on this journey and the support on this site is truly uplifting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm not a great friend (as in I don't post on my feed a lot, not that I am a jerk but who knows maybe I am) but I'll answer @NadiaMayl 's question about how I got started.

I started out doing bodyweight exercises (first the Nerd Fitness Beginner's Bodyweight program and then startbodyweight.com's basic plan.) Then after about 4 months I bought a 3-visit package to meet with a trainer. Over the course of the first two workouts he built me an A/B program*. I did that for a few weeks and then met with him for the third session during which he tweaked the plan a bit based on how I had progressed and helped me with a few questions that I had at that point. I used that program for quite awhile. It was dumbbell-based. Eventually I wanted to move to using the barbell for some lifts. I pretty much learned all of that stuff from reading articles and books and watching videos.

* A/B program = You have two workouts (Workout A and Workout B ) which you alternate throughout the week. For example, Workout A on Monday, Workout B on Wednesday, Workout A on Friday, Workout B on Monday, Workout A on Wednesday, Workout B on Friday, etc.)