Sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    just focus on what you want more. Lose weight or have sugar. That works for me. Sweet and simple..
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Diet soda can actually cause you to gain weight...just fyi. Studies on this...This is why i eat healthy carbs including white potatoes and bananas. Sugar cravings could be cause by a deficiency etc. I have never been a huge chocolate person but i love my peppermint candy. lol. I really at this point dont crave sugar anymore...I have been without it for so long. I would request your doc do a complete blood draw and check for mineral and vitamin deficiency. Just some thoughts.
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    one more thing about the diet soda...I actually have been eating super healthy for about 5 years now. Every once in a while I would get a diet soda...I stopped because I noticed weight gain immediately...that was terrible to get off.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a massive sugar addict. I can't go several hours without sugar or diet soda. I want to get some control back. Any ideas? Is cold turkey best?

your not addicted to sugar because sugar is not an addictive substance.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    eener201 wrote: »
    Just remember that artificial sweeteners tend to cause the same reactions in the body as sugar does, then, when there isn't any sugar it freaks out and craves more. This is coming from another sugar addict btw. Sugar is one of the things I'm tracking on MFP because I need to get that monkey off my back before it kills me. About to have to start medications for being pre-diabetic and I have NO desire to live my life like that. Personally, I've found that when I have a craving its best to have something small and sweet. If you wait, the craving only gets worse and that's when a binge is possible. I've been known to eat a full half pound bag of M&M's or a half gallon of ice cream within a day or two. Do what you can control.

Source please.

Google is your friend, but here's a good link to get you started:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/artificial-sweeteners/

From Harvard, School of Public Health. Here's a clip of the article.

aau50msvfqxi.jpg

The findings in the first paragraph are based on research. Everything else listed there does not cite any sort of research and is most likely speculation.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thank you all! Your replies are so helpful. I didn't mean to start the soda debate. My main craving is sugar in sweets/chocolate. Will get a plan of action together!

do you also have the same cravings for bread, fruit, and vegetables?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Diet soda can actually cause you to gain weight...just fyi. Studies on this...This is why i eat healthy carbs including white potatoes and bananas. Sugar cravings could be cause by a deficiency etc. I have never been a huge chocolate person but i love my peppermint candy. lol. I really at this point dont crave sugar anymore...I have been without it for so long. I would request your doc do a complete blood draw and check for mineral and vitamin deficiency. Just some thoughts.

no, diet soda in a calorie deficit does not make you gain weight..
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    one more thing about the diet soda...I actually have been eating super healthy for about 5 years now. Every once in a while I would get a diet soda...I stopped because I noticed weight gain immediately...that was terrible to get off.
    I mean maybe if you drank a lot of it, then didn't pee there'd be water retention. I don't recall ever seeing a study that could clearly point out that diet soda (and not diet soda and diet) caused weight gain/belly fat gain.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm not aware of any studies showing that diet soda causes weight gain when one isn't consuming excess calories. Which studies are you referring to?
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I had to completely eliminate all sugar for quite a while, keep it right out of the house. Coffee tasted like *kitten* for a month but i got used to it and now i hate sugar in my coffee, and even buy my coconut and almond milks unsweetened as my tastes have changed. It takes 3 to 4 weeks to effect change so it becomes more habit so give yourself the time to "detox" as it is a slow process but can be done, im a former sugar and chocolate addict and have completely turned around now.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    lutzsher wrote: »
    I had to completely eliminate all sugar for quite a while, keep it right out of the house. Coffee tasted like *kitten* for a month but i got used to it and now i hate sugar in my coffee, and even buy my coconut and almond milks unsweetened as my tastes have changed. It takes 3 to 4 weeks to effect change so it becomes more habit so give yourself the time to "detox" as it is a slow process but can be done, im a former sugar and chocolate addict and have completely turned around now.

sugar is not toxic so why would you think you have to detox from it?

so you don't eat fruit and vegetables anymore because sugar addiction?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi,

I'm a massive sugar addict. I can't go several hours without sugar or diet soda. I want to get some control back. Any ideas? Is cold turkey best?

Hayley, there is not a thing wrong with wanting to cut back on certain things, whether it be treats, or meat or even broccoli! Just remember that weight loss is the result of a calorie deficit and not food type. Food type is about what you believe is best for you to keep that calorie deficit. In other words, if eating too many treats is standing in your way of creating that calorie deficit, just consume less. Diet soda has no calories, so whether or not you want to cut back is about preference and not calories in/calories out.

That said, have you tried to pre-plan your day to include those foods you love, and then sticking to the plan?

For example, I love my chocolate. Right now, I am in love with chocolate caramel candy bars with sea salt. When calories allow, I plan my chocolate in. On days when I don't see to have calories for a full serving, I can have a half of a serving, or even a fourth. There is always flexibility!

Good luck. :)
  • Jabbarwocky
    Jabbarwocky Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just found this article and thought it was interesting. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/ I must admit, at this point I'm beginning to wonder if its the artificial sweetener as much as the person.

" Several large scale prospective cohort studies found positive correlation between artificial sweetener use and weight gain. The San Antonio Heart Study examined 3,682 adults over a seven- to eight-year period in the 1980s [18]. When matched for initial body mass index (BMI), gender, ethnicity, and diet, drinkers of artificially sweetened beverages consistently had higher BMIs at the follow-up, with dose dependence on the amount of consumption. Average BMI gain was +1.01 kg/m2 for control and 1.78 kg/m2 for people in the third quartile for artificially sweetened beverage consumption."
    This is from the link above and if you think about it, those who are choosing artificial sweeteners are trying to lose weight. They are trying to lead healthier lives compared to those with lower BMI's who, presumably, are already doing so. Obviously not an earth shattering truth but at least food for thought.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Just remember that artificial sweeteners tend to cause the same reactions in the body as sugar does, then, when there isn't any sugar it freaks out and craves more. This is coming from another sugar addict btw. Sugar is one of the things I'm tracking on MFP because I need to get that monkey off my back before it kills me. About to have to start medications for being pre-diabetic and I have NO desire to live my life like that. Personally, I've found that when I have a craving its best to have something small and sweet. If you wait, the craving only gets worse and that's when a binge is possible. I've been known to eat a full half pound bag of M&M's or a half gallon of ice cream within a day or two. Do what you can control.

This is misinformation.

Diabetes is not caused by sugar, but sugar does affect diabetes.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Just found this article and thought it was interesting. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/ I must admit, at this point I'm beginning to wonder if its the artificial sweetener as much as the person.

" Several large scale prospective cohort studies found positive correlation between artificial sweetener use and weight gain. The San Antonio Heart Study examined 3,682 adults over a seven- to eight-year period in the 1980s [18]. When matched for initial body mass index (BMI), gender, ethnicity, and diet, drinkers of artificially sweetened beverages consistently had higher BMIs at the follow-up, with dose dependence on the amount of consumption. Average BMI gain was +1.01 kg/m2 for control and 1.78 kg/m2 for people in the third quartile for artificially sweetened beverage consumption."
    This is from the link above and if you think about it, those who are choosing artificial sweeteners are trying to lose weight. They are trying to lead healthier lives compared to those with lower BMI's who, presumably, are already doing so. Obviously not an earth shattering truth but at least food for thought.

Run an experiment on yourself. Drink artificial sweetener and eat in a 500 calorie deficit and see if you lose weight. I am 99.99% sure that you will.