cooking spray-pam

Options
How do you calculate using pam?

Replies

• StargazingGirl
    StargazingGirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I believe it's a split second spary to qualify for the '0' calories. If you, like most, including me, spray liberally..well..that's quite a few calories more.
    I stopped using it for that reason.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I don't, no matter how many seconds or sprays and I use it all the time.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I don't use too much so I log 2-3 seconds (about 20-30 calories)
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »

and ur weight loss is good?
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I don't log the Pam I use.

Feel free to do so if that's what you chose. I wouldn't think there's a problem with it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Pam definitely has calories. As said by others, a one second spray is about 10 calories per second. So, say you can count to five seconds while spraying-that's 50 calories right there. It all adds up at the end of the day/week, so be judicious about your logging.
  • Gisel2015
    edited March 2017
    Options
    zfitgal wrote: »

and ur weight loss is good?

I am on maintenance for over 6 and half years. Edited to add that I didn't log Pam either when I was on a losing mode. However, do what is best for you in order to achieve your goals.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I don't log it either and I use a lot. Although I don't log, when I am averaging my calories over a 30 day period, I usually bump up that number by 150-200 daily calories to account for Pam, cayenne pepper seasoning and paprika. I use very generous amounts of these. It works for me in maintenance. I did the same in weight loss mode, but I only used the Pam and black pepper back then. I don't think I used the Pam as generously as I do now, but I didn't factor it into my daily calories.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I dont log the spray either, cuz I am actually not eating it, just using it to make sure nothing sticks. So even if there is some that "sticks" to the cooked food, its negligible in my opinion. No impact on my weight loss to date.
  • jmormur
    jmormur Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't log it either. But I did see an excellent suggestion for just adding one entry per day or week for oil to cover all the miscellaneous seconds of spraying instead of doing the one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    If you are using it properly as pan lube, I wouldn't worry about it. I do see some misguided people on here using it as a butter substitute, in which case I would 1) start logging it and 2) stop using pan lube as butter substitute.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i use pam all the time and i never calculate it, measure it or log it. i have found my weight loss to be on track.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If you spray a pan for 5 seconds how do you know that all the Pam is attached to the food? How do you know it didn't burn off or become caked on the pan? It's too complicated to track.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dudebro200 wrote: »
    If you spray a pan for 5 seconds how do you know that all the Pam is attached to the food? How do you know it didn't burn off or become caked on the pan? It's too complicated to track.

On the flip side, how do you know for a fact that it isn't attached to the food? Or that it did burn off or become caked on the pan?

Oil is a fat and fat is 9 calories per gram. That adds up quickly.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

On the flip side, how do you know for a fact that it isn't attached to the food? Or that it did burn off or become caked on the pan?

Absolutely.

I think I am just going to spray it into a bowl and see how long it takes to get to 3 grams.
  • Gisel2015
    Options
    I use Canola spray from Costco (Kirkland brand) and I just checked the can and it said 0 calories per spray. So, I am happy but even if it had an X number of calories per spray I still wouldn't count it or log it.

For me, being that OCD with weighting, measuring, and logging is not worthy. Yes, I am on maintenance but as I said before I didn't even worry about it when I was losing. Life is too complicated already, not need for me to make it worse.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Absolutely.

I think I am just going to spray it into a bowl and see how long it takes to get to 3 grams.

Just pop your pan on the scale before you spray
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I use Canola spray from Costco (Kirkland brand) and I just checked the can and it said 0 calories per spray. So, I am happy but even if it had an X number of calories per spray I still wouldn't count it or log it.

For me, being that OCD with weighting, measuring, and logging is not worthy. Yes, I am on maintenance but as I said before I didn't even worry about it when I was losing. Life is too complicated already, not need for me to make it worse.

Again, that spray is a fraction of a second, enough for it to qualify as sub-five calories to mark it as zero on the label. I get not logging it because it's negligible in the long run, but some people do prefer to have that accuracy.
  • fubarfornow
    fubarfornow Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Unless one is using Pam as a butter substitute, I just can't imagine using all that much of it *per serving*. If I've used more than a short blast of Pam, it's because I'm cooking a massive amount of food in a big pan, either because I'm feeding a lot of people, or because I'm cooking ahead and planning to freeze portions. Add to that the fact that a certain amount of the spray doesn't stay on the pan, and that not all of the spray is oil -- there are propellants and alcohol which burn off -- and I'm just not sweating the trace amount that is going to end up on my food per serving. If I really want the flavor of oil, as I do occasionally, I use real olive oil and measure and log accordingly.