If calorie deficit is the answer, then why does it matter how much carbs, protein, fat?

Options
Hi, I am counting my macros now as opposed to just counting calories. I do notice that I am eating more nutritious foods such as vegis, ground turkey, chia seeds, greek yogurt, etc - all in an attempt to get my macros straight. My question is this: Am I going to lose weight quicker by eating much lower carbs, and higher protein than before? Other than nutrition, whats the benefit of this when it comes to fat loss? I have a perhaps lofty goal of losing 2.5 lbs a week. I am at a very high weight and also breastfeeding, so it seems possible. thanks!

Replies

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    People who cut carbohydrates lose weight quicker. But over the course of a year, the low fat/protein groups catch up and there is no difference in the weight loss between groups.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Macro breakdown is totally up to the individual - whatever helps them feel fuller longer, or enough protein to maintain or build muscle (in a surplus) but to lose fat, all you need is a calorie deficit.

Some people may feel more satiated with high fat or high protein and therefore, eat less while others like to consume carbs to get the full/satisfied feeling.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For weight loss it's calories 1st, calories 2nd....calories always. Macros are personal preferences for health & satiety.

Low carb is only "faster" weight loss for a week or two. This is water weight (glycogen stores).....not the same thing as fat loss. Besides, the water weight will return when you start eating carbs again.

Just eat foods you like....but manage portions. If you find you are hungry tweak your choices....protein, fat & fiber.

Weight loss isn't just fat loss....it's fat, lean muscle & water weight loss. To minimize lean muscle mass loss....meeting protein goals, strength training, and moderate deficit. So, yeah 2.5 pounds a week isn't a good idea unless you are currently obese.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The answer is basically lean body mass and hormones. It's rather convoluted, but if you're interested, read this series:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-1.html/
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/diet-percentages-part-2.html/
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Macros might matter more for specific personal needs. Bodybuilders need to track their proteins (well not just them obviously, just an example), my husband is diabetic and tracks his carbs, I have bile issues and need to track my fats etc. etc. etc.
    All of which have nothing to do with weight loss.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I see more attention to macros for those who are doing a physical exercise (running, weight lifting) and make sure they are getting enough macros to properly fuel. For weight loss, doesn't matter unless you have a medical reason to watch them (such as diabetes).
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

ugofatcat wrote: »
    People who cut carbohydrates lose water weight quicker in the beginning. But over the course of a year, the low fat/protein groups catch up and there is no difference in the weight loss between groups.

Fixed it for you (the bolded parts)

Thank you, that is exactly what I was trying to say but my words where failing me.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I agree with the others, it's mostly to manage hunger and allow you to feel satisfied. It's true that you can lose weight eating only Twinkies, but you would be hungry, tired and miserable.

You would also be unhealthily - there are benefits which are more to do with health than weight loss. The big one is protein, which makes you less likely to lost muscle mass as you lose weight. Then the others are ones people usually know about - fibre keeps your guts in good order, and you need a good variety of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and fats to keep everything running well.

I personally don't track macros, and I don't follow any particular food rules, but I do have an eye to my diet and try to keep it nutritious and varied (in between brownies)

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I was having trouble eating enough, I tracked to make sure I was eating enough protein. Since you are breastfeeding, tracking that you are getting your minimum protein makes sense.

I eat carbs as I please as long as they fit in to my allowance for the day.

There's only so much room if you are eating great foods as you describe, including lots of fruits and vegetables.

Oh, P.S. macros don't count for weight loss, but they do for satiety and for health (getting a well-rounded diet). Not enough protein and you get unintended side effects like hair falling out.
  • liz3marie
    liz3marie Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I never have had a problem losing weight while eating what ever I wanted as long as it fit in my calorie range. However now that I am at a low weight for me I have upped my protien pretty significantly because im working more so I'm building muscle at this point now that I'm pretty much were I'm going to be. I plan to keep up my work out routine so I don't see a change in the future other then eating more calories after I reach my official goal and work on maintenance. my original goal was 150. I'm 141 now and hoping to see 135 sometime. So there's the difference for me.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Losing weight has absolutely nothing to do with macros. It is all about calories.

Macros is about health and muscle mass retention. Even if you aren't exercising, you will be healthier and retain more muscle mass if you are eating adequate protein and essential fats than if you don't.

You can gain weight eating healthy and lose weight eating horribly, but hopefully that isn't the idea as your body will thank you for eating the right things in the proper amounts.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    macro combination can affect how 'full' you feel after eating a meal. Getting adequate protein helps you protect your lean muscle mass. Getting adequate fat can be beneficial for brain function, vitamin absorption.
    Hi, I am counting my macros now as opposed to just counting calories. I do notice that I am eating more nutritious foods such as vegis, ground turkey, chia seeds, greek yogurt, etc - all in an attempt to get my macros straight. My question is this: Am I going to lose weight quicker by eating much lower carbs, and higher protein than before? Other than nutrition, whats the benefit of this when it comes to fat loss? I have a perhaps lofty goal of losing 2.5 lbs a week. I am at a very high weight and also breastfeeding, so it seems possible. thanks!

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous comments. I lost weight easily without paying attention to macros. But once I started paying attention to macros I felt better and more full overall.

I think macros are especially important when breastfeeding. I was having lots of weird symptoms while breastfeeding and losing weight and after doing research I realized it was because I wasn't eating enough protein and iron. Agree with previous comment about not setting your goal too aggressive when nursing.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Others have already covered the questions about the importance of macros vs calories.

OP I wanted to touch on your comment that you are aiming to lose 2.5 lbs/week AND breastfeeding. How old is your baby? Congrats by the way, and baby in the profile pic - adorable! You said you are at a very high weight, is this mostly weight you put on during pregnancy? Or some from before that you are trying to lose as well? How many calories are you eating - because it is important while nursing to maintain an adequate milk supply through eating nutritious foods and staying well hydrated. Did you account for nursing in your calorie target?

I know everyone wants to lose weight as quickly as possible, especially after giving birth - but keep in mind that you have a lot of changes going on in your body, as well as a little one to try to keep up with. Taking care of yourself is important too - so you may want to reconsider those aggressive goals.

i agree - if you're b-feeding, you will need extra calories, esp if your baby drinks ONLY breastmilk. maybe cut back to only losing 1 lb\week.