increase upper body strength?

Options
i have terrible upper body strength and cant do one push up! its embarassing and id like to be able to do some! any tips on how to get me started?

<3

Replies

• tgumeebee
    tgumeebee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good question! I would like to know also.:smile:
  • Dornroschen
    Dornroschen Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You can start against a wall, and then change to a lower and lower position (counter, coffee table, pile of books), until you're ready to hit the floor and do standard ones!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am also horrible at push ups. I notice that I don't mind lifting weights, though. So I would try lifting weights until your arms are strong enough for pushups.

Right now I only have 2 pound weights. I need to get out and buy some heavier ones so I can work my way up.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Try balancing on your knees rather than your toes to start with, it'll make them easier. :D
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Try balancing on your knees rather than your toes to start with, it'll make them easier. :D

I second this.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    pole dancing!!!! seriously it makes you so strong.....but, if push ups is your goal, don't be afraid to do a modified version of one, or even a "push up" on the wall and build up to it.....
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started doing them with bent knees or at work I would use my desk and kind of do them standing up. That built my strength up and I kept doing that until I could do a regular push up.
  • JWGF01
    JWGF01 Posts: 59
    Options
    i'm a geek.. i use an iphone app... 100 pushups??

and you do sets of push ups over 6 weeks.. that eventually over the course of 6 weeks you can do 100 in one go... im at about 87 now...

if you want to build muscle strength.. do high mass weight with low amount of reps in the gym.. and keep increasing the amount of weight each day of weight training...

if you want to tone muscle.. go for low mass weights and just keep doing loads of repetitive sets...
  • aprileve411
    aprileve411 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have great upper body strength and can do several pushups on my toes at 152 lbs. I have lifted weights ALWAYS. If you lift weights, you won't get bulky muscles. You'd have to consume tons of protein and even supplements. Weightlifting is wonderful for any weight loss program, or even for just adding that tone to your body. Start off with light weights, then move on up when your strength increases. If weights are not your thing, I suggest pilates or yoga, which can help build strength with your own body weight.
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options

and you do sets of push ups over 6 weeks.. that eventually over the course of 6 weeks you can do 100 in one go... im at about 87 now...

I'm doing this. I'm currently up to 75 push ups a day now. I started out only being able to do 8 about 2 weeks ago.
  • hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can start against a wall, and then change to a lower and lower position (counter, coffee table, pile of books), until you're ready to hit the floor and do standard ones!

^^^^^^^ This
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Stole this from a website... It advertises products so I'll just lay down the gist of it here.

Here's a Sample Exercise Progression to One Arm Push Ups

1) Push Ups Against a Wall: Stand 2-3 feet away from the wall and slowly push your body away from the wall. Once you can do this for 3 sets of 20 reps, you are ready to master the next progressively harder movement.

2) Push Ups on Your Knees: Get on your knees and do push ups at a slow pace. One second down, slight pause at bottom…then one second up. Master this movement for 3 sets of 20 reps before moving on to the next level of difficulty.

3) Push Ups With Feet on Floor and Hands on Bench: The higher the bench, the easier this is. A standard bench in the gym works well, or a chair at home. Master this movement for 3 sets of 20 reps before moving on to the next movement.

4) Full Regular Push Ups: This one is self explanatory. Just focus on good quality push ups, all the way down in a controlled manner. Same deal, move on to next exercise once you can get 3 sets of 20 reps.

5) Close Grip Push Ups (Hands Touching): I like to make my hands form a diamond shape, like the guy in the first picture. Some people for a triangle. Just make sure your fingers are touching and you will be good. Once you can get 3 sets of 20 reps in perfect form, then move on.

6) One Arm Assisted Push Ups With Basketball: You can use a medicine ball if you have that available as well. What you are going to do here is put as much weight as possible on the hand that is on the ground and another hand on a basketball. Use the had on the basketball to assist you on the way up and the way down. As you get stronger, place that basketball further out to the side of your body away from the center. The further out the ball gets from your body, the less you can assist that working arm. Once you can do 2 sets of 15 reps per arm with very little assistance, it is time to move on to one arm push ups unassisted.

7) One Arm Push Ups: Your goal here is to eventually have the ability to do 20 full strict one arm push ups on each arm. If you can do that, you will have triceps as hard as a rock. If you mastered the previous movement correctly, you should be able to do 3-5 reps on each arm. Over a period of months you will work your way up to 20 reps per arm.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Good question! This is a struggle for many, even myself when I have not hit the gym or exercised my upper body for a long while.

The best advice I can give is to start now. A pushup uses muscles in your arms, shoulders, chest and back. That is why it is one of the most essential exercises, and one of the most difficult to complete at high reps. Starting now with exercises and strength training will get you that much closer in a few weeks time. If you do not start, all of this time will pass and you still wont be able to complete a pushup.

As another poster said, attempt starting on your knees, or do an incline pushup (against a wall, back of a stabilized chair, etc). Begin working those muscles. Work them to exhaustion, and take the next day off, then repeat. 3-4 times per week for 20 minutes on the upper part of your body will get you on the right track. You will find yourself increasing your workout and strength as time goes on. Also visit bodybuiliding.com and take a look at the various routines they have for incresing upper body strength. If you go to a gym, schedule an appt with the trainer.
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Start by doing some plank positions. This is just hanging out at the top of the push-up with out the up and down. Your muscles will quiver while there. They're just getting stronger. I also second starting against the wall, feet out as far as you are comfortable, then countertop, etc.

Don't forget the backs of your arms too. Sit in a chair with your feet on the floor. With your hands on the seat, lower yourself off the chair and down as far as you can go and still lift yourself up. (not a rolling chair).
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    I also recommend 100 pushups (you don't need to get the app--you can go here: http://hundredpushups.com/

Use their modifications to get started if you can't do a "real" pushup. The way-easy modification is to do them against a wall. Slightly less easy is to do them against a railing or desk (make sure it's sturdy). The modification I'm doing is to do them on the floor, but with my knees on the ground instead of just my toes. Once I can do 100 that way, I'll change to the "real" pushup and do the program again.

Another good one for arm strength is 150 dips: http://www.onefiftydips.com/

For other strength training, they have programs for squats, situps, and pullups (ouch). Give 'em a try! You'll get stronger in no time.
  • LukeBarrs
    LukeBarrs Posts: 30
    Options

if you want to build muscle strength.. do high mass weight with low amount of reps in the gym.. and keep increasing the amount of weight each day of weight training...

if you want to tone muscle.. go for low mass weights and just keep doing loads of repetitive sets...

What's this app? I must have it :D
  • LukeBarrs
    LukeBarrs Posts: 30
    Options
    Not reading all the posts before posting syndrome strikes again...
  • foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem! =(
  • rockeramy1979
    rockeramy1979 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded this app as well as 50 pullups! Thank you for the suggestion! I'm looking forward to finally being able to do both!!
  • rockeramy1979
    rockeramy1979 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded this app as well as 50 pullups! Thank you for the suggestion! I'm looking forward to finally being able to do both!!