Avoiding Binges

Options

Replies

• onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It's good that you've identified stress as a trigger. I ask myself "am I really hungry?", or do I just want it because I see it's there? I often find that if I see the food I want all the time, then I'm going to constantly struggle with the desire. So, for me, it's important to put the peanut-butter jar away where I won't see it every time I come into the kitchen,lol. Out of site, out of mind. I also have some low calorie options available and lots of water.
  • Aclaire88
    Aclaire88 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for in advance for repeating others as I'm most likely about to do. I struggled with binging for many years during a really bad period of my life. I now only do it once in a blue moon and no longer feel guilty as it doesn't get the best of me.

My tried and true techniques:
    - Drink water, mineral water or tea, my fav is roibos tea which doesn't contain caffeine so it's great for night time (though caffeine is good during the day as it's an appetite suppressor).
    - Don't keep junk or packaged food in the house. If all food needs to be prepared you can't binge on it, unless it's fruit & veg then go for gold! (Also great for the environment).
    - Try mindfulness activities, listen to music or go for a walk. (TV tends to make me want to binge).
    - Sleeep! Zzzz Don't stay up late (like I'm doing now eek!)
    - Shower & brush your teeth then use mouth wash (if you're at home) no one wants to binge with a minty fresh mouth!
    - If you're genuinely hungry, make a smoothy or protein shake and do it quickly.
    - Don't starve yourself or you'll be more likely to want to binge.
    - Figure out your triggers (1 word Hormones!)
    - Care for your mental and physical health.
    - Exercise, it's amazing!
    - Go Vegan, but first research the ethical and environmental reasons :smile:
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    @Hello_its_Dan Thanks, that's a good tip there. I actually don't restrict, so no worries there. For me, binging typically hits late at night, and I'm currently dealing with a very stressful situation, in which I don't have a lot of control. So I don't struggle with the urge to binge every day, just typically when I'm stressed.

You know the cause of your binges and when they are likely to hit, so you can work to avoid them.

1) reduce the stresses that cause the binges
    2)If Option 1 is not realistic, then figure out other coping mechanisms
    3) Remove all "binge" food and stock up on zero calorie drinks and snacks.

Halo Top!!!
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I used to binge a lot, which led me to bulimia when I was teenager. I got help with bulimia but binging stayed with me for years. The thing that helped me the most - seriously, I think it was 90% of success- was to start eating more nutrient dense food. I don't mean "clean eating", whatever that means, but focusing on whole grains, vegetables, fruits, lean meat (when I was eating meat, now I'm vegetarian, but that's completely personal choice). I think when I was eating lots of fast foods, sweets and things generally viewed as "unhealthy " my body was lacking nutrients and that was leading to binges. I still eat sweets, pizza and anything I like, don't get me wrong, but now those are "additions" to overall healthy, nutrient dense diet. So maybe focus more on nutrient value for now more than on calories until you feel more stable and when you'll have binging under control. Oh and restricting on next day after a binge is a bad idea, this will lead to next binges creating cycle. You have to silence that little voice in your head that tells you to starve to make up for a binge.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    @Hello_its_Dan Thanks, that's a good tip there. I actually don't restrict, so no worries there. For me, binging typically hits late at night, and I'm currently dealing with a very stressful situation, in which I don't have a lot of control. So I don't struggle with the urge to binge every day, just typically when I'm stressed.

In a way, by not allowing yourself to eat what you want when you're feeling that way, you are feeding (no pun intended) into the restrict binge cycle. Maybe on those days you allow yourself to eat late at night up to your maintenance calories? So, you might be at maintenance for several days when you're stressed, but that's better than a binge. When eating isn't labeled as "bad" (eating at night when you're stressed) you may very well find that the "need" to binge goes away.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    MaddieRainbowHealth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @ACHynson Thanks for all the tips! Those are great suggestions! I'm actually an animal rights activist and would like to go vegan, but I'm living at home, with my parents, so that complicates things a bit, unfortunately. But it's cool that you're vegan, and I hope to be able to go vegan as well eventually!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My tip is to not eat so little every other day that you feel so hungry that you need to binge. This is the typical cause of people "binging" I've heard.

Other tips are to incorporate all the foods you love into your diet, but making sure to have appropriate amounts of them. A small scoop of ice cream a day is ok! A whole tub a day... probably not.

If you find you need to eat at night... how do you feel in the morning? I always felt that I needed more food at night and I could get away with either an apple or a glass of milk only for breakfast - leaving more calories for me to eat at night.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    There are TWO elements in the diet that help in making you feel full and can provide more time between foods, so helping in avoiding binges:
    - Protein: it takes more time to digest prots that carbs and fats.
    - Fiber: fiber is an element associated with carbs.

So my recommendations
    - Try to keep protein consumption at the MFP suggested levels (around 1 gram per pound)
    - Eat fiber rich carbs: whole breads, fruit WITH peel, vegs, etc.

I also find fat goes very far in helping me feel full. For me, fibre does diddly squat. However, it works for many people, so it's worth experimenting to see what works for you.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Unfortunately I have a lot of experience with binging, and people that haven't ever had the issue don't understand how HARD it is to stop or redirect when the urge starts. It's not just a matter of self control.

I started out losing weight by only counting calories when I was 300 lbs, and I was eating 1500 calories a day. Then I moved to only counting calories and eating 1200 calories a day. Then I plateaued and added exercise. Eventually I moved to eating around 1000 calories and working out for around 3 hours a day when I could manage it. I thought, well, if a little exercise is good, more must be better. And if 1200 calories was good, less must be better. On top of that, I was eating very little fat. I was good for about a year, and ended up losing down to around 110. Then, out of nowhere, uncontrollable binges would start. I would go crazy with anything that contained carbs and fat. And then after my binges, I would go crazy again with over restricting and over exercising to "make up" for those binges. I got desperate because I was gaining weight back, and I just couldn't get out of the cycle, so I decided to get help (with the strong urging of several friends).

I ended up seeing a nutritionist that specialized in eating disorders. She taught me several things that were a BIG help. The first thing was that I was sleep deprived because I was getting up at 4 am to work out, but going to bed around midnight (I had just started dating my boyfriend). Being sleep deprived can make you crave carbs. The second was that my body was going crazy craving carbs and fat because I was expending energy like crazy, but never replenishing. I needed to start eating more, and working out less.

It's still hard to find a balance, but as long as I listened to her AND listen to my body, I have very little issues now. The below is what I try to keep in mind, and what I suggest for anyone else having problems:

1) Make sure you get enough sleep
    2) Make sure you are eating enough (especially enough fat)
    3) Don't over exercise, and make sure you eat enough for you level of activity
    4) DON'T try to "make up" for binges.

Also, I've found that as long as I keep my fat high, I am generally good.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Don't have food in the house
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    Options
    @Raynne413 Thanks so much for sharing your story! I've struggled in the past with bulimia, so I know what you mean when you talk about fighting the urge to somehow make up for a binge the next day. I don't have an eating disorder now, and don't engage in unhealthy compensation at all, but I've been there, and know what it's like. Resisting the urge is hard, but it is possible. I just try and go back to eating the recommended calories that MFP allots, and drink lots of water and get back to normal, healthy eating. As for countering the urge to binge in the moment, that's harder, but your tips will help for sure! :smile:
  • Wan718
    Wan718 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping binges at bay.

Stop the restriction cycle and the binge cycles tend to go away.

thumbs up for this one - however be aware that it takes a LONG time to revert to normal eating even if you stop restricting yourself. Expect weight gain and many many months to come.
  • Aclaire88
    Aclaire88 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    @ACHynson Thanks for all the tips! Those are great suggestions! I'm actually an animal rights activist and would like to go vegan, but I'm living at home, with my parents, so that complicates things a bit, unfortunately. But it's cool that you're vegan, and I hope to be able to go vegan as well eventually!

That's awesome! I wish I was as conscientious as you when I was younger. I can only imagine how hard it is living with parents, it took my family a while to accept Vegetarianism let alone Veganism. I only went Vegan 1.5 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done, not only for the animals but for my body and mind. My advice to anyone going Vegan is; find a Vegan friend or community for support (even if it's just on social media), eat a colourful diet with a lot of variety and watch your nutritional intake as deficiencies will lead to health problems.
  • Wan718
    Wan718 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My suggestions are (based on many years of reading and trial and error), take what works for you:

1. Stop restricting yourself - however if you have already been doing so for a substantial period of time (thinking over 6 months), even if you start trying to eat normally without restriction, it will take a LONG time (we are talking about > 6 months) for you to stop having the binge urge, expect weight gain in the beginning. That's how much time it takes for your brain to rewire, sorry.

2. Distraction - I find this works the best for me as you just don't have time to binge. Finding things to take your mind off food, e.g. study, working out, shopping (not food!), hanging out with friends, talking to people, going to a class, work hard.

3. Eat what you really want to eat, NOT what you think you should eat: When I want a certain type of food, normally it is "bad" food - I try to stuff myself with healthy alternatives or even unhealthy alternatives, simply because of convenience. IT DOES NOT WORK. Your brain wants what it wants and there is NO substitution for it. Unless you have what you crave for, your urge will always be there and hit you harder each time you try to suppress it. I have tried this MANY times. So if you feel like pizza - go have a slice, or maybe two or three or four - till you are happy and content (not uncomfortably full). Then next time you will still want it but you want it less, and less, and less. The trick is every time you give your brain what you want (instead of depriving it), your brain doesn't think you are in short of supply and it will eventually relax and loose up - this is when you don't have any binge urges anymore.

4. Stop snacking - personally I would suggest ditching the "6 times a day" eating schedule (or anything similar). For people with binge eating tendency, the more you expose yourself to a potential "trigger" event (aka eating), the more likely you will start binge/having urges. Also unless you don't care about weight gain, chances you do, eating more frequently means less full each time. You need to feel full and satiated after eating. So eat less frequent but more each time, your brain will be at peace.

5. Some ppl say take 3 -4 grams of L-glutamine when you have the binge urge and in 20 minutes it will subside. Doesn't work for me but feel free to try.

6. Everything else about "drinking more water, fibre up, more protein/fat/good fat/coconut oil, sleep better etc" - they are in general good tips to keep a healthy life style, but when it comes to binge - they are completely useless for me.

Hope this helps. It takes time.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    @Raynne413 Thanks so much for sharing your story! I've struggled in the past with bulimia, so I know what you mean when you talk about fighting the urge to somehow make up for a binge the next day. I don't have an eating disorder now, and don't engage in unhealthy compensation at all, but I've been there, and know what it's like. Resisting the urge is hard, but it is possible. I just try and go back to eating the recommended calories that MFP allots, and drink lots of water and get back to normal, healthy eating. As for countering the urge to binge in the moment, that's harder, but your tips will help for sure! :smile:

Once I get "in the mode", distraction is hard. However, I have found that playing a video game helps because it occupies you both mentally and visually, and keeps your hands busy. Coloring can be good stress relief, but I have found that I will still think about it, but games tend to work.
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    Options
    @Raynne413 Cool, I'll try playing a video game next time! Thanks!
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Don't have food in the house

/Endthread
    Best tip yet....
  • Danihoo8
    Danihoo8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have issues with binging on weekends! I feel I did so well on weeks that I stop restricting on the weekend and then it just goes
    Completely the other way. So thanks everyone for the great comments, and for the good question:)
  • MaddieRainbowHealth
    Options
    @TheRealSlim_Shelly Thanks for the tips! I think sometimes I do let too much time go by from one meal to the next, so that's something I can work on. :smile:
  • arlzixxx
    arlzixxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have such mental cravings for chocolate and just had a baby 3 months ago so can't use pregnancy as an excuse anymore! Lol but yeah fibre! Tons of water, low calorie cereal bars and simply don't buy the bad stuff if its not there you can't have it! :)