Keto Dieters

Options
I've had this app for a while now but I usually stop using it after a week because I give up on my diet. I recently started doing the keto diet and I feel I found something for me. I don't feel hungry or like I have to give up a lot of foods. I never was a fan of breads and pastas but my vice is chocolate and fruit. It's been a couple days and my boyfriend is doing it with me but I sometimes feel weird because I think he's absolutely perfect and doesn't need to lose anything. Anyway, has anyone felt somewhat gross the first few days? I'm not used to eating so much fat but I have been trying to load up on good fats. Anyone want to share recipes, feedback, and support?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I haven't done keto, but I have eaten/am eating moderate low carb. I too was a bit wierded out/scared by all the fat in the beginning, but you'll get used to it - it's an ingrained/cultural fear and goes away when you get used to it.

You can eat keto no matter if you want to lose, gain or maintain weight. A sustained calorie deficit is what creates weight loss.
  • elliottrowley
    elliottrowley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    for Keto I start off just about every morning with some Bulletproof Coffee and that gives me quite a bit of energy throughout the day. Sometimes I switch it up and have a fresh squeezed lemon and some water. That kind of makes me feel better. The lemon is great for you and it's also fairly low in carbs. For the most part I eat avocado brussel sprouts all types of lettuce and then meat obviously but it really helps if you try to search out low-carb vegetables.

I've noticed if I think about the fat that I'm eating as energy instead of, eww gross fat. I tell myself that the fat is fueling my body that kind of helps me as well LOL
  • dettles
    dettles Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing the keto diet and find that it is working quite well. In the beginning I was worried that I wouldn't have enough variety in food recipes and types, but now finding that it's not so bad! It's definitely the added fat that is hard to 'swallow' sometimes, but scientifically it does make sense!
  • rckc1
    rckc1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I ate LCHF for 2 years and lost a lot of weight, but at the expense of muscle. I've been following OKL (Optimal Ketogenic Living) macros now. Protein is important. I wasn't getting enough doing LCHF. Good info....
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found high fat weird at first too. fter years of following the advice on low fat diets, it was odd to switch to high fat. I still have a hard time with some of the fattier cuts of meat. Fatty pork is easy to eat but fat strips on beef is not something I enjoy.

I have no problem with extra cheese, nuts, cream (coconut or whipped) or butter on foods. That was an easy switch.

After almost a couple of years of keto, I am baffled by high carb meals... It just seems wrong now. LOL
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's called the carb flu.
    Wears off after the first week.
  • catharinamkotze
    catharinamkotze Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @elliot Gem squash with butter and blue cheese!
    Asparagus with parmesan.
    Pumpkin with rocket and goats milk cheese.
    Beetroot with rocket and feta.
    Oh, the deliciousness of low carb.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I suggest you check out the main low carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • ljocker
    ljocker Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of good recipe ideas on Youtube. One of my favorite series is Headbangers Kitchen. Simple, tasty and pretty varied.
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've just started keto at the beginning of February, an already down 15lbs but I need to lose about 70 lbs more. I'm doing keto after my father decided it was right for him (proving it by dropping weight and medications).

The specific program we are following is from Dr Eric Westman, from the Duke University Medical Center. Easy to Google and anyone who wants the cliff notes can pm me an email address...

Min 2 cups leafy greens, clear cut does and don'ts ... easy to follow and I'm never hungry.