Sour taste in mouth on keto?

Options
I've been doing keto for about 10 days now, my carbs only come from veggies and peanut butter. Protein intake is moderate.

For the past day or so I've had a bitter, sour taste in the back of my throat that even overpowers coffee. Anyone else have this?

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's the taste of ketones.
  • stripeybelly
    stripeybelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options

oh, gross, I thought they were supposed to taste sweet.

Thanks for your response!!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

oh, gross, I thought they were supposed to taste sweet.

Thanks for your response!!

You won't keep tasting it forever. I had read sweet too, but have also read "metallic" as well as sour. I definitely didn't have a sweet taste from it :)

• inskydiamonds
    Options
    I thought ketones tasted sweet

Sweet is just one descriptor that I read online. People also describe them as metallic, bitter, etc. When I went into ketosis I definitely didn't have a sweet taste, it was more bitter.
  • stripeybelly
    Options
    You won't keep tasting it forever.

thank goodness!

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

thank goodness!

That may not necessarily true. I know several people that had to stop Keto because of things like this and keto breath.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

thank goodness!

That may not necessarily true. I know several people that had to stop Keto because of things like this and keto breath.

That would be awful.
    Rephrase, it doesn't ALWAYS last forever!
  • sassynerd321
    sassynerd321 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The raspberry ketones leave a pleasant raspberry taste in your mouth (and when you burp lol). Not sure how hard they are to find nowadays though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

thank goodness!

Yes indeedy, i'm one of them. I held out for 4 months and the keto breath never went away. I had the metallic taste in my mouth the whole time, but according to my husband my breath smelled like poop 24/7, not sweet ketones, or the acetone nail polish remover aroma some people describe.

One of my problems could have been too much protein.. It was a battle to keep it down to 100g or less, i usually hovered around 120-130g.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

thank goodness!

Yes indeedy, i'm one of them. I held out for 4 months and the keto breath never went away. I had the metallic taste in my mouth the whole time, but according to my husband my breath smelled like poop 24/7, not sweet ketones, or the acetone nail polish remover aroma some people describe.

One of my problems could have been too much protein.. It was a battle to keep it down to 100g or less, i usually hovered around 120-130g.

Glad you showed up. I was going to tag you, but I didnt' want to be "that" guy.
  • Christine_72
    Options

thank goodness!

Glad you showed up. I was going to tag you, but I didnt' want to be "that" guy.

LOL tag me anytime. Although my first thought would have been panic, panic!!!! Why's a mod tagging me :worried::sweat_smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced an odd taste in the mouth while ketogenic. It can happen with some, but not all.

How is you electrolytes and hydration? If you are supplementing sodium, you may end up dhydrated and that can cause a bad taste. Maybe.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @nvmomketo I truly think keto was made for you. You've found your perfect fit :smiley:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo I truly think keto was made for you. You've found your perfect fit :smiley:

It's a good fit. Perfect would be if I could still have sweets and baked goods while keeping the health benefits. ;)
  • stripeybelly
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

Turns out that (bitter) taste was bile reflux from an overtaxed gallbladder.

I'd been thinking maybe it was acid reflux (I've had probs with my gallbladder, this wasn't similar though) but I couldn't figure out why it'd be happening all of the sudden. It went away after I ate some apples and cheese and hasn't been back, even after fasting. Don't know if I messed up ketosis or if it was just a couple days of reflux.

Thanks for your input!
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing keto for a month now, but I've been in ketosis solidly for most of that time (I bought test strips) and I've never had a problem with the breath or bad taste.

I've heard an extreme calorie deficit can cause this... Don't recall the source of that rumor...
  • lundy2626
    lundy2626 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To help with a overtaxed gallbladder, use lemons Bragg's apple cider vinegar. I take soda water, squeeze half a lemon and a once cider. It doesn't taste the best but it does the trick.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    overtaxed gallbladder? really? if its not working properly then a dr needs to be seen, and possibly removed. you arent going to flush it out so that it works better again.same way with your liver, or any other organ in your body.