Ways to Target a Double Chin

Options
Personally, I think I have an unusually large double chin for my size. Many larger girls I have seen have far less. Is there any proven exercise to target the area as it seems the 25ish pounds I have lost are all coming off my legs (which were already much smaller than my stomach and chin proportionately)?

I have tried what I can only describe as chin "sit ups" or maybe a controlled version of headbanging, if you will. I do 100 in the middle position and then turn my head to the side and do 100 more on each side every day, but it does noy seem to be having an effect whatsoever.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    A double chin can be lost by eating in a consistent calorie deficit, contouring with make up, or surgery.

I don't think 'chin sit ups' are going to be effective at anything.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lose more fat. After that, surgery.
  • Merrycherryo
    Merrycherryo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As you continue to lose weight, your chin will get smaller. We all slim down in different places on our bodies when we drop the pounds. You'll get there!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Fat loss through caloric deficit is the key. You can't spot reduce/target fat loss in a particular area of the body through exercise.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How many more pounds do you have left to lose? That will make the difference. If not, it's genetics.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is genetics. My Mom's side of the family all have double chins (they are all overweight), and I start to get one whenever I gain weight. I had a small one at 140 lbs (@ 5'8"!). It only went away when I started to lose weight.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I had more than a double chin. Hardly any neck showing due to multiple chins. I had them for decades. I don't have them anymore, purely due to losing fat. No "chin ups" required. Your double chin will disappear once you've lost more weight :) Unless genetics, as some others have said.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I wish. Just exercise though and losing weight. It will come off eventually. Also contouring as someone else said can go a long way.
    That would be "eat less" and lose weight. And I don't see any post on contouring (which doesn't work either).
    If one wants to lose their double chin, then they just need to lower their body fat % to normal levels.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    like everyone says you cant choose where you lose fat from first, I have lost around 50 lbs since I started dieting and going to gym but still struggling to get rid of this last bit belly it just takes time just keep plugging away and slowly it will come off
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    could be the muscles that run from your chin to your throat are actually tight? shortest distance between two points is a straight line, and all that.

with that said, it might just be partly the way that you're made.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    OP, you are making me laugh thinking of you doing headbanging exercises. I gotta agree with the weight loss gets rid of double chins. I'm not sure how well you can hide fat with makeup, but I it could be worth trying out sometime when you have no where to be.

I would also take a look at your posture. Think about relaxing your shoulders back and down, lengthening your neck, and keeping your head held high. Feel a little more space under your chin? If not I've only wasted five seconds of your time.