Milk - Why so much sodium?

Options
Hi there MFP,
I've been trying to reduce my sodium intake drastically and I've been pretty successful at it, at least for the last week. I'm down from probably 8,000 mg/day to around 1,000. While reading up on the topic, I read that a good guide is to make sure things you eat/buy have less mg of sodium than they do Calories. So, far I've found this to be pretty helpful, but I can't seem to find a type of milk or milk alternative that meets this. Most of them are something like 100 Cal and 125 mg Sodium. I know 125 mg is not a whole lot, but still, there has to be something. Anybody have any ideas?

Replies

• CandeesLand
    CandeesLand Posts: 200
    Options
    So Delicious coconut milk (unsweetened) has 50 cals and 15 mg sodium in 1 cup!
  • cassieko
    cassieko Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a naturally occurring electrolyte in the body of living things. There will be naturally occurring sodium in any animal product. That's really not the sodium you have to worry about , the added sodium in the processed foods is what causes so many problems.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a naturally occurring electrolyte in the body of living things. There will be naturally occurring sodium in any animal product. That's really not the sodium you have to worry about , the added sodium in the processed foods is what causes so many problems.

Ditto.

The less stuff out of a box you eat, the less you have to worry about sodium. Don't worry about sodium in milk or celery. Worry about sodium in frozen meals, boxed rices, canned soups, processed meats, etc.
  • wbutterfras
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I have eliminated most packaged foods (except for some frozen vegetables with no salt added). Here's to hoping I can keep it up!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Quoted for truth :)
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Is this an American thing for milk? because I checked mine and it doesn't have nearly as much as you state? Or maybe it's a brand thing?
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    It's more important to monitor your sodium vs. potassium intake than to just minimize sodium. Milk has a lot of potassium, so the more you drink the more you'll be moving toward the positive side of your sodium/potassium intake.
  • wbutterfras
    Options
    Louiselesley - What does your say?