How much do you eat for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• melissa1217
    melissa1217 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with the having a big breakfast idea as you're less likely to get hungry and mess up your diet later on in the day, especially at night time. My breakfast varies quite a bit but I'll either have special k with almond milk and an english muffin or lite waffle (around 240 or so). Today, I had oatmeal (100) with a cup of mixed fruit (54) so pretty light but we'll see how that works...
  • JoeB71
    JoeB71 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot for breakfast before I started tracking but now I eat 1 to 1.5 servings of oatmeal most of the time or whatever keeps me in the 300 cal area.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am usually around the 400 mark for breakfast lunch and dinner with a 200 calorie snack. A typical breakfast for me is 2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast and sometimes fruit. Or 3/4 cup dry oatmeal with flaxseed. I made an omelet once and it was over 500 calories.. I'll never do that again lol.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've heard that, too; but your breakfast is not kingly enough! If you are going to adopt this concept then go for a breakfast that is at least 450 calories and add more protein.

This is what I had for breakfast and still did not make it to 400 calories:

1 poached egg
    5 asparagus spears
    1 waffle w/mini baby bell cheese (spreadable) and a drizzle of honey
    Coffee w/3 tbs of non dairy creamer

It's been about 2 hours for me and I am still feeling satisfied. In fact, I am going to skip my AM snack (gasp!) because I am not hungry.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I recently heard someone say:

Eat breakfast like a King
    Lunch like a prince
    Dinner like a pauper

After I heard this I have been trying to follow that idea and it seems to work for me! :happy:

This morning I had:

1.5 cup multigrain cheerios with almond breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 slice Ezekial 4:3 cinnamon raisin bread
    1 fiber one strawberry yogurt

It totaled to about 325 calories and I am still feeling full 2.5hrs later. Plus it was delicious. A few too many carbs probably but...not too bad! :tongue:

What do you guys do? How do you distribute your calories throughout the day? I am curious! :glasses:

If 325 calories is your "kingly" meal, how much are you eating for your prince and pauper meals? I ask because 325 seems really low calorie to me. I would like to eat larger breakfasts, but honestly I usually don't have time and I'm not typically hungry in the mornings. :-(

Dinner is usually my largest meal of the day, but I try to stop eating by 7:00 p.m. though. I don't like going to bed feeling full.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind I do my heavy cardio in the morning after breakfast, so mine is always carb heavy to prepare for that. (Many folks advocate protein for breakfast...I burn protein rather than fat or carbs during my bike rides and runs if I don't get a lot of carbs.) I typically eat 20 - 30% of my daily calories at breakfast, built around either oatmeal or frosted mini wheats with fruit and orange juice. If I know my workout will be delayed or absent that morning, I'll add protein in the form of either yogurt or an egg-white/egg substitute omelet.

You're welcome to browse my diary, though ignore the last 10 days...been visiting family and have not been able to maintain an effective routine. :laugh:
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    This will probably sound bad, but i eat around 500-600cal at dinner, so when i wake up in the morning, i dont eat anything for breakfast, because i had a heavy dinner and i go straight to the gym and burn fat calories as suppose to carbs then fat. and then i do the whole thing over again. I am not really a morning eater, but on my off days, i do have a big breakfast and light dinner. So for me I guess it depends on the day. And this is working for me so far.
    ~Chika
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all, I follow an intermittent fasting protocol so don't normally have my first meal till 3 - 5 pm
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I recently heard someone say:

Eat breakfast like a King
    Lunch like a prince
    Dinner like a pauper

After I heard this I have been trying to follow that idea and it seems to work for me! :happy:

This morning I had:

1.5 cup multigrain cheerios with almond breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1 slice Ezekial 4:3 cinnamon raisin bread
    1 fiber one strawberry yogurt

It totaled to about 325 calories and I am still feeling full 2.5hrs later. Plus it was delicious. A few too many carbs probably but...not too bad! :tongue:

What do you guys do? How do you distribute your calories throughout the day? I am curious! :glasses:

If 325 calories is your "kingly" meal, how much are you eating for your prince and pauper meals? I ask because 325 seems really low calorie to me.

I agree. It sounds pretty low cal to me. I think kingly would mean at least half of your daily intake.
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    1 Publix Fat Free Yogurt
    1 ON Double Chocolate Protein Shake (mixed w/ Almond Milk)
    1 Low Sugar Instant Oatmeal

390 cals
    5 fats
    50 carbs
    26 sugars (might switch to unsweetened Almond Milk because that's like half my sugar intake for the day and I always go over)
    35 proteins
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had 2 eggo whole wheat waffles with green tea. sometimes a bagel thin with low fat cream cheese. heck sometimes I have pasta for breakfast. I find eating good in the morning helps me to stay full longer throughout the day. I'm not so hungry and I can burn those carbs off all day instead of a cup of pasta sitting in my body all night after dinner.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    The only reason my breakfast was kind of "Kingly" today was because it had a lot of carbs in it. I would usually add some strawberries...but I didn't have that choice today! lol My other two meals are actually usually about the same calorie wise but I try and be more careful on the carbs later in the day.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    I try to eat like that. Emphasis on try. If I'm hungry, I'm hungry, but generally I try to eat the most in the morning, which isn't always easy!
  • Melsy7
    Melsy7 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have a habit of eating breakfast on the go, so most often times it's a LUNA, Zone, or Nature Valley peanut butter granola bar and a Spark drink.

When I have time, I like to fry an egg (nonstick egg pan, so no butter or spray needed) and slap it on a single piece of lightly buttered whole grain or wheat toast, sprinkled with a bit of salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. It's under 300 calories, but does keep me full until lunchtime, usually. Other times, I'll make myself a smoothie with frozen berries, vanilla greek yogurt and some protein powder.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I eat 200-350 calories for breakfast, 400-500 for lunch, and 300-400 for dinner.
    Pretty much this... (although I don't make a rule of it or anything...)
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Wow, I could not tolerate that many carbs in the morning! I know that's the best time to have them, but I get sooo hungry around 10am if I only have cereal.

I usually have plain greek yogurt yogurt with 1/2c kashi crunch and berries or an egg on a bagel thin or a frozen waffle with greek yogurt and fruit or an omelette filled with veggies or beans.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    Also keep in mind that I am a strict 1200 calorie eater, I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day...so 325 with high carbs is pretty kingly for breakfast! :wink: Especially when I used to just grab a bowl of cereal and go.
  • Devani34
    Devani34 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal or (2) cups of cereal with milk. That usually holds me until lunchtime.

That's what I had this morning along with an apple. Keeps me full for a while too.
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Quite the opposite for me. I'm not usually hungry at breakfast but I force myself to eat a small bowl of cereal with milk.

Lunch & dinner is much tastier so I tend to eat a lot more then. Which isn't a good thing.
  • xcbballuver
    xcbballuver Posts: 186
    Options
    breakfast: clif bar and milk :220

usually i eat the most at lunch and only like 300ish for dinner