Need help overcoming self-sabotage.

Options
Often I know it when it's happening... any advice on how to defeat this devil is appreciated.

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Read this poem--it's short:

http://www.dwlz.com/Motivation/tips26.html

You need to get from not knowing how you got in the hole, to choosing a different street. So it takes realizing the hole, getting yourself out when you fell in, and learning how to choose a different way to be so you don't go down that street in the first place.
  • Nancyannjurczak
    Nancyannjurczak Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Instead of one snack Ive been eating to much lately Im up from last week so tied of going up and down need to add more water and exercise
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    When ever I see my self kind of starting to do, I hit the gym more. That seems to get me back in the groove.
  • roofyred
    roofyred Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi coolbluecris, I am sorry you're having such a hard time. I can relate to a lot of that stuff and I feel for you. And when you're low, it doesn't take much to make you lower - or send you into an eating frenzy (and for me, drinking too). The only real freedom that you have total control over, is control itself (sorry if that sounds a bit... something) - you can control what you put into your body, and how you respond to people around you, and what you do with your free time, if you have any. When life feels a bit spirally out-of-control, if you can take the reigns back on small things, I personally find that it really does make the difference and starts to let me see other things in a positive way - or be able to do more about them if it's something making me unhappy. I know it's easy for an outsider to say, but have you or are you able to have an honest chat with your husband about how his comments make you feel? And the same at work with the pressure you're under? Don't quit on yourself, take back control, and the rest will follow. And you've like-minded people here if ever you need them.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I try to consider the long term. I don't want to be at this same point next year like I was last, and find out what works to move me in the right direction.

To coolbluecris: I'm fortunate not to have the pressures of young, enjoyable family; husband and work right up to my ears any longer. But I do know the children will be happier if you can take control and stand up for yourself, your rights. You sound to be being put on all round. I encourage you to do what it takes to put you back in the centre of your world.
  • stutovic
    stutovic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Self-sabotage is something many of us can relate to. These past few days have been a little rough for me, and these posts have been inspiring just knowing that others are going through the same things. I guess we have to just remember that the only person you have control over is yourself, we can not change anyone else, we can't change who they are or what they think. Since we only have control over ourselves, why not treat yourself with kindness? Fuel your body with healthy and nutritious foods and exercise so you feel good? We just have to change our way of thinking, instead of self-sabotage, it should be self love :blush:
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I logged on today because I've been out of control for two days and feel like a beached whale. Thank you for your great posts.

Yes its emotional. I want to scream with frustration. I'm working to change my work life but it's a process. I'm tired of selfish people. I'm tired of pressure. I'm tired of performance goals. I'm tired of a husband who thinks it's alright to constantly be snappy and condescending. I'm tired of crappy people taking up my time and mental space. I'm tired of my goals taking a back seat so I can cope. I'm tired of paying the mortgage. I don't know what true freedom from all this stuff is, and I don't know if such a thing exists. But I've got to find a happy place somewhere. I've got to stop giving up and quitting on myself. I don't know how to reach my goals and not be bothered by my circumstances. My young kids love me. That's a blessing. Although I've grown too different from my friends, and I don't have like minded people around me to talk to anymore. I don't actually know what I really truly want. Thank you for letting me vent.

It's hard to take all those things at once. But a little clarity on your goals may help.

* Job: This sounds like you need a job change. Easier said than done, but often after it happens you may wonder why you didn't start sooner.
    * Tired of paying the mortgage: Renting can be awesome. I had a house, hated it.
    * Snappy and condescending: Does he know how you feel? Have you confronted this when you are in a decent mood? We teach the people around us how to treat us. It's OK to declare it's not OK to communicate in such a way. But it is easy to do so in a moment of frustration rather than out of love and calmness.
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you @SonjaBruns and @roofyred.

Thank God for intelligent thinkers like you. Thank you for your caring understanding.

I'm also tired of not having enough money to do what I want (my husband has had his mid life crisis buying what HE wanted and added extra financial stress, but I still don't have what I want).

So I want major changes that right now I can't have.

One thing I would like to do is, and I don't know if I've got the guts to do it, is leave it all behind for a few days and pay for a powered camp site by the sea. Just by myself. At least once a month. But at least go alone once to start off with. There's a nice holiday park there.

I might start planning for it, look for a tent, right now.

So to you and @jillybean205 and others who might read this thread, let's analyse the frustration of life and find antidotes. What is something right now that would give you joy or freedom?

• roofyred
    roofyred Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @coolbluecris, yes you have got the guts to do it. If you're thinking about it and looking at tents, you're doing it! That sounds like a great thing to do - and it's amazing how much a little trip into nature can re-balance your thoughts. Going somewhere or seeing something that makes you feel small and the world feel great does put things in perspective for a bit.

Do that, get away for a few days (and read escapist fiction while you're there - better than any self-help book!) and in the meantime, maybe start actually writing down what you can do to make things better and get you to where you want to be. Writing a physical list helps me - and I know this sounds ridiculous but I find that drawing small boxes to the left of the list item makes you feel much more satisfied when you tick it off. Honestly, try it, it works!

Your husband sounds like he's been having a selfish phase, but that's his problem - you need to start putting yourself (and your kids of course) first. We're here for a good time, not a long time! Good luck, you will do it. Start small with a new shopping list and chuck out your junk food (I'm not actually obsessed with lists by the way... honest!). All power to you!
  • SonjaBruns
    SonjaBruns Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a good plan and start to me! And actually really something you can do without too much effort but real good benefits from it. If you are already looking for a tent, then you'll also do it! I really agree about the lecture, take something you like to read. No help yourself or become-a-better-person book.
    I wozld take all pressure out. If you feel like writing something down, then do it. But my experience shows that even a plan of doing something for myself in my just-for-myself-time can be stress. Even this app here is stress sometimes, when I have to write my diary! An idea about your camping days - don't try to make new friends there or be on the phone. I'm sure, you want to check on your kids and probably your husband. But it's not the time for somebody else's problems! It's YOUR time. Don't be lazy, but if you feel like relaxing and sleeping, nobody sees you who can blame you for that! And take healthy food with you, that you don't regret your trip bc of the food! But don't forget to spoil you with something! I hope you'll find your tent soon and I wish you a perfect weather forecast that you can start soon! You deserve something to look forward to...
  • coolbluecris
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thank you again. I will really cherish this thread. The thoughts and ideas have been good for the soul. <3<3<3

Check this out: I just need to save for it. ( or sell some stuff around the house lol )

dyt4iv17hdj1.jpg
  • jillybean205
    jillybean205 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi @coolbluecris and everyone! Some things that give me joy right now: a weekly yoga class, spending time at adoration at church, walking my dog, my cozy flannel sheets, exceeding my daily step goal, hearing the people I love laughing. When I really think about what gives me true joy... food isn't anywhere on the list. It only gives me (very) temporary happiness. Not lasting joy. So I'm trying to keep that as a new focus for me. :) be well friends!
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    Sounds great @jillybean205

It's a good idea to write about what gives us joy.

We can also help eachother think of solutions to what makes us stuff our emotions down. What a great combination. Love everyone here.

I enjoy my kids smiles, crochet, music and watching Youtubes of my favourite bands, currently Lady Antebellum.
  • PennysOnaMission
    PennysOnaMission Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for this string today. You have all made my day. I'm learning it's about placing yourself first, and taking it day by day... sometimes hour by hour on the tougher days. I just started this app and I'd love more friends for support. Thanks for being here.
  • SonjaBruns
    SonjaBruns Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi... I have this tent and my friend has it one or two sizes smaller. Easy to carry, no weight, really small to pack and super cheap. Held storms and even a small tornado with lots of rain...
    Probably this is something for you.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/39510839?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222228030273434&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=65572787448&wl4=pla-92083681968&wl5=9008126&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=39510839&wl13=&veh=sem
  • coolbluecris
    Options
    Hi @Pennyapink0204

I had a big vent and the ladies here gave some great ideas. You can do the same. In fact I think everyone should. We used to have a segment on a show here once called "What cheeses me off?" Lol