Goal! For now... 70 pounds lost and moved to a lovely condo in onederland!

Options
Briantime
Briantime Posts: 175 Member
It's been quite a journey...

About 7 months ago, I was touring my office building. I have a new job and among the things offered in my building is free use of a gym so I went to have a look see. It was early and there was no one there. I looked at the machines, the television sets and went to see the locker room. Nice...lockers, benches, showers and a big, doctor type scale in the corner. I was all alone...I stepped on it.

I moved the balance weight over, then over some more, then some more...265! I was stunned. I had always been heavy. Gained some, lost some, gained some and I knew I had been getting heavier lately but that number was quite unsettling. I had what alcoholics call a moment of clarity. Five minutes of standing on that scale, thinking about where I was, how I felt uncomfortable every day, how old I felt... I took blood pressure meds every morning and cholesterol meds every night. My clothing selection every day was guided by choosing which outfit made me look less fat. God forbid the fabric touch my skin and expose me in a way that made me uncomfortable.

I had used MFP before and lost weight before, but usually just enough to get me past the point where I didn't feel "as fat" or my pants were not "too tight". Then I would get back on my usual path which led to my usual destination.

That day in the gym I began. Re-installed my MFP app and started walking. It was still nice outside then in Chicago so I would go outside on my lunch break and walk. 10,000 steps at a minimum and using my iPhone as my step tracker. I began eating protein bars in the morning for breakfast and bringing my lunch to work every day. My wife was kind enough to make me a lunch when she made lunches for the kids. I stopped snacking entirely and logged my food. Logging your meals is very powerful but also affirming. You know that you are on the right or the wrong track.

I started losing weight.....quickly.

2 pounds a week, sometimes more and sometimes less. I weighed myself every Monday morning and the weight kept dropping.

As I started to feel better and more fit from the daily walking, I decided to try running. I ALWAYS hated running but for some reason it just seemed like a natural extension of the walking. I followed advice from these forums, downloaded the C25K app and went to my local running shop and spent an eye watering sum for some properly fitted running shoes. I loved and hated that app. I followed it religiously. It kept erecting hurdles for me and I kept clearing them. Every "next run" seemed impossible but the app prepared me for them and I kept advancing and worked my way up to non stop 30 minutes of running at the end. Technically, I still wasn't covering 5K in that time. I doubt anyone does, but I kept running. 3 days a week, covering longer and longer distances until I was running a 5K 3 times a week. Running outside and then on the treadmill in the office when the weather turned brutally cold. The weight kept coming off. I'm up to 7 miles now and registered for the Disney Wine and Dine half marathon in November!

This morning I stepped on the scale and found that I hit my goal. At least my goal for now. 195. I'm going to keep going, and why not? I feel great. I enjoy running and buying new clothes. Oh, and I am off the blood pressure meds for the first time in 5 years!

I regret not taking an official "before" shot but I was not too keen on taking a selfie at that point, but the two pics below show me at my heaviest and me in the Nordstrom Rack dressing room about 6-7 pounds ago looking for my wife's approval to buy a Tommy Bahama top :-)

yecp8l0aj6yi.jpeg

You can do it!

Think about your life 6 months from now and make the conscious choice to be where you want to be!

Replies

• mlbish624
    mlbish624 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Is that Crystal Palace? That's the best!

You know what else is the best?? YOU!! Nicely done. :)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Wow, nice work! Congratulations on your successes, it's so great to see your hard work has paid off! You are a great story teller as well!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I love this story! Congrats on being a huge success and so inspirational
  • Briantime
    Options
    mlbish624 wrote: »
    Is that Crystal Palace? That's the best!

You know what else is the best?? YOU!! Nicely done. :)

Thank you! That was the Crystal Palace. Big Disney fan here :-)
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • trvrmagz
    trvrmagz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is very inspiring as it hits close to home. Similar starting weight, Monday weigh in's...etc Thank you for sharing :) Hope you ended up getting the Tommy Bahama, it looks great!
  • Briantime
    Options
    trvrmagz wrote: »
    Congratulations! This is very inspiring as it hits close to home. Similar starting weight, Monday weigh in's...etc Thank you for sharing :) Hope you ended up getting the Tommy Bahama, it looks great!

Thank you! I did buy the shirt. In fact I bought two :-) I mean...they were marked down so I kinda had to.....right?
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is just what I needed right now. Thank you and a massive congratulations.
  • shakenbake57
    shakenbake57 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing - so motivating!
  • pdawnfloyd
    pdawnfloyd Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Very inspiring. My sister is running the Wine and Dine in November also. We just came back from the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon weekend. I have a love hate relationship with running but love the challenge and the medals! :)
    Thanks for sharing your story. Will be looking at my life and what I want it to look like in 6 months....
  • justkeeprunning91
    justkeeprunning91 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Fellow big Disney fan here - I'll be at the Wine and Dine too!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!