What's the point

Options

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    not necessarily, ive gained 8lbs in 2 weeks and not eat too much, i can vouch for every grape!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    sychun1304 wrote: »
    and seriously, i got flagged for saying 'open your diary'... :huh: :noway:

Sorry dude. I thought you meant like "open your diary...and go whine about it somewhere else"

Didn't know other people could see my food diary so I figured you meant it in a sarcastic way lol. Sorry!

Man you really think everybody is a hurtful angry person don't you? People try to help and all you do is attack them.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    1. Are you weighing your food with a food scale? If not, get a scale and start weighing to the gram.

2. Are you eating back all of your exercise calories? Myfitnesspal notoriously overestimates exercise calories, try eating back half instead of all.

3. What is your height and weight? Calorie goal?

You still have yet to answer these questions I asked. I asked to be helpful. But if you don't actually want help then that's fine, but your post sounded like you wanted help/advice.

Yes I have a scale and I use it.
    I've been tracking my food and calories and I don't eat back the calories I've burned.
    I'm 5,7, currently 180, but normally I'm 170. Calorie goal set from mfp is 1700

Edited to remove post. Sorry i missed where you aren't eating back your calories.
  • nomibird
    nomibird Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Okay. I am weighing in on this. Pun intended. I am somewhat older, I also have the same problem when I really work out. It is my body type. I can bulk up in no time. And gain weight easily doing it. I will never be long and lean. I could probably do body building but never liked the look on me. My inexpert advice that has worked for me is to put down the weights, walk, swim, play active sports like tennis and watch your carb intake.
  • ogtmama
    edited March 2017
    Options
    not necessarily, ive gained 8lbs in 2 weeks and not eat too much, i can vouch for every grape!

2 weeks could be hormones and salt...and calculations regarding CI vs CO could still be off...

a full month of steady gain means the equation is (most likely) off CI>CO ...whether you are eating too much because you are miscalulating the number of calories in your meals by forgetting cooking oils, condiments, coffee creamers etc, using heaping cups, weighing cooked meat and logging it as raw, choosing incorrect database entries, overestimating calories burned during exercise. The answer is simplified to eating more than you think...or too much.
  • ogtmama
    edited March 2017
    Options

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    OP, I hope you've calmed down & have come to realize that no one is calling you a liar. Rather, we have a lot of experience with the very common mistakes people often make that can lead to a person *unwittingly* taking in more calories than they think they are. It's difficult for anyone to offer much in the way of specific advice, being as how you don't do your logging on MFP. Often, people can look at your diary and be able to spot potential problems. But here, in general, is what a person would look for:
    • Are items logged in cups, TBs, or tsps or are they logged according to their weight in grams, including things like rice, pasta, peanut butter, cereal, protein powders, etc?
    • Are there entries like "1 medium banana" or "1 slice (brand) frozen pizza", or are these items also logged by weight?
    • Are there entries like "Generic- homemade lasagna", which generally means a person is using a random entry in the database instead of calculating the specific nutritional data & serving size by weight for that particular dish?
    • Some would look to see if prepackaged items like protein bars or frozen entries have been weighed, though this mainly is an issue for those with a small calorie deficit.
    • How often does a person eat out and how do they log those meals? Restaurant figures are estimates and some have no nutritional data at all, so if a person eats out a lot, there can be a lot of room for error.

I'm sure I've probably missed something- other posters please feel free to add to this list.
    Edited to add- one thing I forgot that I am prone to is a Cheeto here, a pinched off piece of cookie there, tasting during meal prep, etc. Every BLT (bite, lick, taste) counts.

One other thing I can't remember if anyone has touched on is what you chose for an activity level. Remember, on MFP, your activity level refers to your normal day-to-day activities, NOT including exercise. If you've chosen "lightly active" when you are basically sedentary outside of exercise, your calorie allowance will be inflated. If you are in doubt, an activity tracker can really help you see where you're at. I recently did this and it was very eye-opening, and revealed I will need to adhere to a lower calorie allowance. Remember, MFP and all other calculators just provide *estimates*. Real-life results will vary ;)
  • try2again
    Options
    Also OP, I was wondering- was your weight stable before you started reducing calories, or were you actively gaining?
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @sychun1304 I see that your intake has been well addressed by other people who have posted previously so I'm not touching on that. Re: your statement about running making you bulk- no, that is absolutely not your problem. If running equated to bulk I'd be Arnold at this point in race season training.

The only conceivable way that running would impact your weight is (a) through water retention for muscle repair, which would be temporary, or (b) you are eating more as a result of the activity which is wiping out your deficit. Given that you are having clothes fit issues I would lean towards the latter.

I hope once you have your logging tightened up a bit that things resolve nicely and you are on your way to your goals!
  • CrazyCatLady916
    CrazyCatLady916 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i didnt see anyone accusing you of lying. There are a lot of incredibly knowledgeable people here on MFP and they give great advice. You should listen to what they have to say.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    OP, do start logging here as well. Keep using the food/kitchen scale for all foods that aren't liquids (in their raw state) as well as prepackaged/preweighed foods (those can be off by around ~20%). No cups/spoons for solid foods or butters. Choose database entries that reflect the packaging information and use USDA entries for produce/meats.

Also, weight loss is ALL about calories. I lost 100lbs including chocolate in my diet almost every day.

And.... chill. You asked a question and many are trying to help. That attitude won't help YOU.
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Odds are you simply need to eat less. Normally I suggest waiting it out but I've never heard of a woman eating in a deficit, starting lifting, and gaining an actual 10 pounds in a month from initial water weight. Or were you exaggerating for effect, similar to the comment about your tree trunk legs?

Stop getting defensive. Take the time to learn about losing weight and lifting before going off half-cocked complaining about people accusing you of this or that. Accept that you have a lot to learn and show some appreciation for people who take time out of their lives to offer help.

I managed +6lb last week from a combination of DoMs and ToM, so it might just be possible, but seeing as I'm already back down 5/6 of that it's not that likely. Would be a lot of over eating though to gain 2lb a week.

Ha. I gained a whopping 13lbs after I lost 1lb due to DOMs (increased volume), TOM and skipping period with the pill.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh in? (Daily, weekly, monthly, etc.)? It could either be an actual gain or a water/sodium/TOM/etc. spike, but we can't really tell without more information.

Also, where do you keep your scale? Is it in a permanent place on a hard, flat surface, or do you bring it out every time you weigh in? When's the last time you changed the batteries?
  • LittleLionGirl1304
    LittleLionGirl1304 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    How often do you weigh in? (Daily, weekly, monthly, etc.)? It could either be an actual gain or a water/sodium/TOM/etc. spike, but we can't really tell without more information.

Also, where do you keep your scale? Is it in a permanent place on a hard, flat surface, or do you bring it out every time you weigh in? When's the last time you changed the batteries?

I weigh in every morning, in my bathroom, but cometo think of it... I haven't changed the batteries since I bought it. But would that make a difference? I'm weighing in at a consistent weight every day..
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

I weigh in every morning, in my bathroom, but cometo think of it... I haven't changed the batteries since I bought it. But would that make a difference? I'm weighing in at a consistent weight every day..

Are you seeing the same exact weight every day? That's a sign that something's probably wrong with the scale; you should be seeing little fluctuations every day. (I'm assuming you're using a digital scale and not one of the old-school ones with the needle).
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Op, it's possible that it's just your body type. I will forever be a thickly thighed, big booty girl. But, like you, I lose off my upper body and waist line. Sometimes we have to accept how we are and love it how it is.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @sychun1304 Would you please go back into your mfp food diary and update it with all the information you have in your food journal?

Your initial claim, that by reducing calories and increasing exercise you gained weight and caused your clothes to rip, is remarkable. We are trying to understand how this could happen. Data, and honesty, are our coin.
  • try2again
    Options
    @sychun1304 Would you please go back into your mfp food diary and update it with all the information you have in your food journal?

Isn't that asking a bit much?

• LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    OP, what is your target weight and is it set up in your MFP goals? For example, my height is 5'6"", current weight is about 178, my target weight is 155. Based on this my daily calorie goal is about 1500 Cala/day.

I'd suggest cutting your calorie goal by 100 cal/day for a month and see if that has an impact.