Grr. My weight fluctuates.

Options
Okay, I'm sure this has been a topic before. But, my weight fluctuates SO freakin' much. It can fluctuate 4 lbs. worth in a day, usually just 1-2 lbs. tho.

I know it depends on when I last ate, drank, worked out, time of the month (i'm a woman)... and, yada yada yada. But, what does it mean if my weight fluctuates? Can it be anything bad, or hindering my weight loss?! It's kinda hard to tell if I'm losing weight or how much I even weight to begin with.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    4lbs in a day is alot. Maybe it's water weight. Try cutting down on sodium and increasing water intake.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm sure this has been a topic before. But, my weight fluctuates SO freakin' much. It can fluctuate 4 lbs. worth in a day, usually just 1-2 lbs. tho.

I know it depends on when I last ate, drank, worked out, time of the month (i'm a woman)... and, yada yada yada. But, what does it mean if my weight fluctuates? Can it be anything bad, or hindering my weight loss?! It's kinda hard to tell if I'm losing weight or how much I even weight to begin with.

It just means that you are a human being. Honest!

The scale is really only useful for measuring trends over time. It's of no help on a day to day basis and certainly not on an hourly one.

It's a very good idea to also use other measures, like how your clothes fit, photographs and body measurements to track your progress.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It's normal. I've seen as much as 6-lbs difference in one day (morning vs. evening). I recommend weighing weekly, same day/time/clothing/empty stomach, so as not to obsess over the fluctuations. I weigh myself every morning just because it's an old habit, but I only record my weight every Wednesday.

Also, under "Reports" tab at the top of MFP, you can select "progress" and see your overall trend. It's a good visual; if that's headed downward, you're doing great!
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Trust me, it can and will fluctuate. 5 pounds up and down is considered within a healthy range (although its less for smaller people, more for larger)

Think about it. A liter of water weighs 1 kg. Drink a 500ml bottle of water and you gain a little over a pound.

Put your watter bottle on a scale and see for yourself!
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    ive been fluctuating a lot this week and just by going back on my food, a lot has to do with the sodium thats in food. Keep drinking a lot of water and try to get that excess sodium out of you
  • lmmiller1
    lmmiller1 Posts: 45
    Options
    So glad you posted this. I am the same way and get so side tracked because of it. I feel like I am working so hard but yet still gaining weight!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I always fluctuate during the day. It is completely normal. I usually average 2-3lbs, but it can go as high as 5lbs depending on what I've eaten, how much water I've had, and for me -- how long I was on my feet at work.

It's normal. Doesn't mean anything as far as your weight loss goes. It happens. You can watch your sodium intake and see if that helps, but it is probably best to just accept it is going to happen. :)
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I always weigh about 5-6 pounds more at the end of the day vs the morning time. It's normal. But for my morning weighs I never fluctuate more than .5 pounds
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My husband can lose 2-3 lbs. in a hour!! He weighs himself before tennis and then after a game of tennis he weighs himself again. Then he tells me he lost 2 lbs. Grr!! Wish it would happen to me, but then I'd have to play tennis!:noway:
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do four pounds in a morning.
    I wake up, have two cups of coffee (16oz) drink two bottles of water while working out (32oz) and have a protein shake after my workout (16oz).

By the time I get in the shower I'm up four pounds. Not a big deal.
  • ilaurya
    ilaurya Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm a fluctuator too. Once I switched to caring about measurements first, calorie count/fitness level second, and weight 3rd, getting healthier became a much more mentally satisfying process. My morning's a good example:

weight: 177 ("grr, I gained a pound since yesterday, and I was so good yesterday!") If I went by scale only, it would be a bad day for me.

measurements: (40-31-41) "woo I lost 1/2 inch in my waist finally!" This turned it right around into a good day. (I measure when I have a bad scale day, to make sure I'm not really off track.)

30 minutes later, I needed to use the restroom, and that brought my weight back down to 175.5, which validated the change in measurements.

I would say if you let your measurements be your deciding factor, (after all, those tell you what size clothes will fit,) and eat right / exercise regularly, and don't give weight very much credit, it makes things easier. (It's a hard thing to do though, especially since our society as a whole is geared toward the number on the scale.) Also, I weigh 3-5 lbs more at night than in the morning, but measure the same. I usually just go with the morning number and call it good. Today I'm going with the number 30 minutes after the morning number. :-)
  • janiecorona
    janiecorona Posts: 248
    Options
    My weight also fluctuates up to 3 lbs in a day, I also noticed that was more common in the morning. I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's not fat weight more likely it's water weight. I try not to weigh myself in the mornings anymore, if only to not discourage myself. Lol
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal. A 1 to 2 lbs is probably just water and up to 4 lbs could be (buckle your seat belt) undigested food (or that time of the month).

I know that many people do not agree with fasting, but I do. When my weight is UP 3 to 4 pounds I give my body a break and let it resolve what is still in there. Usually a 16 hour fast will get me down, and then I keep on. If I am 1 to 2 lbs UP, then I really don't worry about it at all. I actually check my weight daily to know if I need to fast (usually dinner).

Again, this is not for everyone but this is what makes me feel healthy. I do have a very fussy gut, but as to your question - it sounds normal to me. You shouldn't be alarmed.
  • grandpabiker
    Options
    I understand the arguments of weekly vs daily weight checks. The weekly isn't as depressing, supposedly. I like turning myself into a science project. I have weighed myself before I go to bed and discovered I lose 2 tenths of a pound per hour of sleep. I checked my scale for accuracy by weighing myself before and after drinking a 16 oz. bottle of water--exactly 1 pound increase in weight.

Whenever I have exceeded my sodium intake by 1000 mg I will weigh 1/2 to 1 pound heavier in the morning than if I held the sodium down. A lot low calorie food has higher sodium to compensate for lack of taste.

I wear a heart monitor and monitor my body-fat percentage (that is probably more important than weight). Am I obsessing with numbers? I think I am educating myself about myself.

I feel the more you learn about your body the more you can master it.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I find myself having this same issue. Lost a pound or two one day and the next, gained the same amount back or close, even after healthy eating and exercise. I have heard that weight fluctuates daily, from morning to evening and that is why one should weigh themselves the same time everyday, it will be more accurate.
  • rainbowbuggy
    rainbowbuggy Posts: 320
    Options
    Same here. Seems everyone weighs in the morning after going potty and before drinking anything but for me that never works. I weigh on Saturday afternoons after my work out.....but honestly my weight fluctuates daily by 2-3lbs until weigh in day. Its weird.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself weekly to avoid freaking out over the number on the scale. My weight fluctuates too, so I stopped trying to drive myself crazy with daily weigh ins and got rid of my scale (blasphemy!!:noway: ) So I just weigh in weekly at the gym, always around the same time of day so I am comparing apples to apples.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    "
    Overview (why I'm posting this)
    Over the course of about 7 months on here, I have seen many people suceed, I have also seen some drop off the map. I expect this is because some succumb to the demon that is temptation, and some to the devil that is dissapointment. I wanted to give a few "heads up"s to both new commers and vetrans to the site. Some may know already, some may not. But either way, if this helps anyone to set more realistic goals in their own head, I feel like it has done it's job.

Phase 1. The start of a brand new day! (or week, or month, or year)
    Expectations are sky high, usually so is motivation and intentions. This is where most people lose the most weight. At the start it's not uncommon to see 4 to 8 lb losses per week. The reasons for this are mostly (sorry to disappoint) water weight. You drop excess water quickly, and you can have up to 5 lbs of water weight. The next biggest reason is the fat that is right next to the blood vessels, the stuff that you put on in the last month or three, it will melt like butter usually.

Phase 2. Reality setting in.
    At about week 3 to a month or so, people suddenly realize that they are no longer dropping 8, 6, or even 4 lbs a week. This is a crutial phase in your journey. Expect this, it is natural. You have shocked your body by changing both eating habits and exercise routine. Now it has had a little while to become used to the new lifestyle, it's going to compensate. Your body still doesn't believe it's permenant yet, so it will still try to store some fat, so now that it knows how to regulate it's new metabolic levels, it tryies to store fat in earnest. It's not uncommon for people to hit a wall here, no loss for weeks. Expect this as well.

Phase 3. The routine.
    At about 2 months or so, your routine is pretty much set, your body is beginning to believe that you really want to STAY the way you are going now. You will start to see more consistant (but lower, usually 1 to 2 lbs a week) loss, also, you should start seeing some muscle tone (depending on how much you had to lose in the first place). If you stop to think, you should realize that you have improved dramatically in your exercise levels. If you do cardio, you should notice how much longer and harder you can work. This is important to realize as it is just as big of an indicator as weight loss. Also, by now you may notice that your clothes no longer fit right. This is also very important. The weight may not be falling off anymore, but you are becomming a smaller person. Weight is arbitrary, if you are building muscle (which your body is doing at a furious pace by now) you won't notice huge losses, but you will notice wholesale changes in the mirror!

Phase 4. Really digging in.
    This is where the second wall can happen. You're probably at between 3 and 4 months by now, and if you have gone this far, you feel like you have already suceeded. This is where many people stumble. they are tired of the routine, tired of eating different things from all their friends, limiting their alcohol intake. Basically the shine has worn off. this is when your really need to plant your feet. Maybe change up your exercise routine, make a concentrated effort to find different, but still nutritional food. Talk to people. And examine how far you have come. At this point, no matter how much external motivation you receive, it's all about believing in yourself!

Phase 5. End game.
    5 or 6 months in you are probably working on that "last 10 pounds". This can be discouraging for many as it is a slow burn. Remember, your body probably feels like it is where it needs to be, your brain might think you need to lose 10 more, but your body is quite proud of itself now, it feels like it has "Done enough" and it wants to stay RIGHT HERE. The body LIKES to have a little fat around just in case, especially for the ladies (sorry girls, it's just human physiology). If you feel like you still need to lose it, prepare yourself for some guerrila warfare against your body. Design an exercise regimen that is very dynamic, forget the "same thing every day". Make a plan that challenges you both physically and mentally. Make sure you give yourself a day off here and there to just veg. And by all means, remember, muscle burns fat at rest. So get some weight or resistance training involved.
    The last 10 may take 3 to 6 months to lose. I know nobody wants to hear that, but it's true. And forget the idea of increasing your calorie deficite, healthy bodies need good nutrition, your body no longer has the fat reserves to handle the large deficites you could when you were 30 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Better to make it a 3 or 400 calorie deficite (NET, please count your exercise calories too!). It may take a bit longer, but your body will like you for it. Plus it feeds those new muscles and keeps them burning fat, keeps your skin healthy (elasticity is important when you want those places that were stretched out to "snap back") and keeps you from getting head aches and depressed.

Conclusion:

this is what I have learned, not just from my journey, but from others as well on here. It saddens me sometimes to see people hit one of these stages and not recognize it for what it is, a part of the process. If we all can have realistic expectations, then we are more prone to win the fight and stay healthy in the long run. Note that some people will hit these stages harder then others, some may take longer, but for the most part, this is the rule that the exceptions will come from.

Best health to you all!

-Banks "
  • Juliane1986
    Juliane1986 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    kapeluza thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I am moving into my 3rd month soon and It's awesome to see a realistic timeline of what to expect. The scale definitely gets me down too but what keeps me up is my Body Fat % decreasing each month as well as putting on current clothes I have and seeing how those that were too tight are supposed to feel and those that fit feeling a lot looser.

Thanks for the support and motivation, this was very informative.
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    bump