YMCA- classes. Oh boy.

Options
I signed up for the YMCA a month ago.. I signed up for their classes and have yet to go! I feel like I would be judged because I am new to the gym world and I feel like I may not be coordinated enough. Has anyone else done classes with the ymca as a beginner? I hope I one day to overcome my fear!

Replies

• CantonRC
    CantonRC Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been a member at the YMCA for over 20 years and have done a lot of classes. Just go and do a class. Everyone is a beginner at some point you'll be fine ☺
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    The YMCA is perfect for beginners and people of all ages, sizes, fitness levels. Don't worry, you'll be in good company. Go and have fun.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I joined our rec center in mid-Jan and just started going. There are ALL sorts of fitness levels in each of the classes I have gone to and I wouldn't worry about being embarrassed. Just go! :)
  • A_Rene86
    A_Rene86 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've been a member at the YMCA for several years, but even when I was just beginning, I never felt out of place. My (at the time) 80 year old grandmother used to come to certain classes with me and she was just fine! You look quite a bit younger than 80 lol, so I'm sure you'll do great :)
  • jenniferleahwilson402017
    Options
    I just started yoga and water tabata at the y it us great no one judges and I'm hooked now :-)
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that the YMCA is a great place for individuals of all fitness levels, experience, sizes, etc. Just force yourself one day to put on those workout shoes and go. I'm sure you will be so grateful after. Any besides, who cares what anyone else thinks? You're in it for you, not them! Good luck
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much the perfect place to start out. You'll love it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I do the drop-in classes like Zumba or swimming. Tbh, nobody cares about how new you are, how heavy, or what you're even doing. I guarantee they are focused on what they themselves are doing.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just remember we are all beginners at some point. Get in there!
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I went to the Y for several years. My neighbor talked me into joining. I found it to be a great place. They offered a good variety of classes - zumba, dance fitness, yoga, cardio, pilates, free weights and weight machines. I found most people there to be very welcoming. I just tried to stay closer to the back of the class and away from the mirrors...lol. I found it easier to stand behind someone who knew what they were doing than try to reverse what the instructor was doing (I'm not the most graceful person in the world). Just forget about what others think and remember that you're there to get fit. Try to come a few minutes early to class and talk to someone who is by themselves - who knows, you may make some friends, too! The only reason I left was that I just couldn't afford it anymore. :(
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I go try new classes at the Y from time to time. I have a few I've tried and loved, and then at least one I would rather not do again. If you don't have time as an issue, the classes throughout the day, afternoon, and evening provide plenty of variety! They are usually taught by great people: good attitude, supportive of beginners, and provide instructions all the time! You'll be great!
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's the Y, not SoulCycle. Trust me, nobody there is going to be judging you for not being able to put your foot behind your head. I think you'll find that, like most gyms, it's at least 75% frazzled middle-aged housewives and the elderly. If the 80-year-old lady with the dowager's hump can put on her Nike wear and get on the elliptical, so can you.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Everyone's too worried about what they look like to notice what you are doing, no reason to worry .
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    If you aren't comfortable in the classes yet maybe you could just do the area with the machines and other areas for a while until you feel more coordinated and confident about it. :)
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No one cares what you're doing but you as long as you are coordinated enough to not actually step on someone. All sizes, shapes, ages, experience levels, rhythm etc as everyone else said.
  • Sloonsfoot3
    Sloonsfoot3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started yoga and water tabata at the y it us great no one judges and I'm hooked now :-)

I love swimming so im sure i love those classes!

• Sloonsfoot3
    Sloonsfoot3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Update: I went to my first YMCA class today! It was definitely worth it and the ladies was very welcoming! I went for a low intense class since I have a hip issue (currently in therapy for) looking forward to going to a swim class now! Thank you everyone for the support!! It was very much appreciated!