3 drop sets cable drag curls(rope) (8,8,8 fail) 36,30,24kg
3 drop sets preacher Curls (8,6,6fail) 56kg
2 sets reverse preacher curl (1 rep) 76kg
2 sets Bench press (10,8) 90kg
3 sets dumbell lateral raise (10,10,10) 2x12kg
3 sets tricep pull downs (rope) (10,10,8) 36kg
Stretch
2 sets dumbell curls (10,10) 12.5kg

Exercises do vary, but the number of sets and intensity is roughly the same: repeated on a Friday

Tuesday: 90 minutes Muay Thai,
90 minutes Kali Sikaran

Wednesday: 90 minutes Muay Thai
Thursday: 90 minutes Kali Sikaran
Friday: Weights (see monday)

Its gruelling but rewarding so far.

Thoughts?

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Where is leg day?
  • tlgkensei
    tlgkensei Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I dont do one. Knee injuries aside i have extremely strong legs, and they get a significant workout from my Muay Thai and Kali.
    With 29" thighs i really dont want them any bigger.
    However, i do sometimes put leg sets in instead of as many bicep sets (which i rarely do as im not training for vanity).

If i was bodybuilding id cetainly put a lef day in there (i used to) but for bow its a conscious decision to avoid it.

A typical leg set for me would be
    Seated leg press: 4x40 @250kg
    Calf raises 4x40 @140kg
    Hipabduction/adduction 3x20 @70kg
    Leg extension 3x15 @70kg

But my onees were badly damaged in a car accident, so thise, alog with squats and olympic lifts are more or less a nono without surgery.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are you trying to achieve with this? A lot of isometrics moves and very little compounds. IMO, you can definitely benefit from a structure program or one that is focused around the core lifts. And everyone, especially those in sports, benefit from leg workouts.
  • tlgkensei
    Options
    My primary goal is weight loss for now. The iso exercises are very specific to the muscles required for sidecar racing. We are immobile from the chest down, and much of what we do uses very specific muscles in very restricted movements. Theres a few vanity sets in there too also simply because why not.

• tlgkensei
    Options
    Probably worth noting that a large proprtion of Muay Thai and Kali Sikaran exercises are body weight compound exercises, theres lots of squats, burpees, push ups, and lots of resistance drills with the heavy bag.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    tlgkensei wrote: »
    My primary goal is weight loss for now. The iso exercises are very specific to the muscles required for sidecar racing. We are immobile from the chest down, and much of what we do uses very specific muscles in very restricted movements. Theres a few vanity sets in there too also simply because why not.

I would put a bit more focus one some of the compound movements (bench, overpress, dips), where you are closer to 85% of your 1RM, and then use a handful of accessories to hit the smaller muscles.

I'd personally incorporate some lower body work (Deadlift and squat) that is weight based. Building up my muscles was one of the best things that I did after I tore my MCL and it improved my ability to perform during TKD. If there is some injury concerns, I'd personally work with a physical therapist to get you to a strong enough point where it won't make your injury worse.

The issue with body weight training is that it's going to have a good amount of limitations as the ability to increase volume becomes increasingly difficult.