Are my workouts even effective?

Options
I go the gym every day (usually take 1 or 2 rest days throughout the week) for 30-60 minutes. I do strength exercises and then cardio. From cardio, I can burn anywhere from 200-400 calories. However, I see other people on here going to the gym for 60 minutes and burning 700+ calories. I figure as long as I'm doing something physical that it's helping, as opposed to just sitting on the couch, but I feel like I should be burning more? I switch up what kinds of cardio every day, so it's not like I'm just doing one machine/exercise. Sorry if this is a silly question..

edited to add: I meet my daily calorie goals every day or have some calories left over, plus I eat back exercise calories.

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question. I kinda wonder what people are doing sometimes when burning 700+ calories in that amount of time too.
    How are you tracking your calories burned? Heart rate monitor? MFP database? the cardio machines?

30 minutes on an elliptical or treadmill or exercise bike you could burn any where from 100-600 calories depending on the machine, your intensity, speed, the resistance, etc. The best way to know for sure what you are burning is with a heart rate monitor. A lot of people just go by what MFP says but for a lot of things I have found its overinflated, course some things, like circuit training, it can be under as well (at least for me).
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, just keep doing what you are doing. You are right something is better then nothing. I didn't do anything but cut calories and lost 30 lbs. I think you might be gaining muscle. Use a measuring tape and your clothes as a guide it more acurate then a scale.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh - the more calories you will burn during exercise. I used to burn far more calories on the treadmill when I weighed more than I do now that I'm thinner. I wouldn't worry too much about what everyone else is burning. Focus on your own workouts - make sure you're changing them up some so your body doesn't get too comfortable or in too much of a rut.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    You're right that it is better than nothing. Also, I read somewhere that doing cardio first can increase the amount of calories you burn during other exercises because your body is still hot from cardio. Maybe that would do more?

I always assume the database here is inflated, if I ride my bike for an hour I might put down 50 minutes instead if I feel like one number is too much. Not too mention on the database people can choose from light cardio, moderate, intense- bear in mind that what is moderate to one is light to another.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    It also depends on your weight as to what you're burning. Someone 140lb can burn half of what I burn doing the same thing.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I almost never burn more than 200 calories in a day. I don't go to the gym. I don't have a weight bench. I do workout DVDs, Wii Fit, and bodyweight exercises here at home. I eat my exercise calories. And I'm making pretty darn good progress, if I do say so myself. :) Just like everything else, bigger isn't always better. You don't have to burn a ridiculous amount to see results. If it's working for you, keep doing it. :)
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I go the gym every day (usually take 1 or 2 rest days throughout the week) for 30-60 minutes. I do strength exercises and then cardio. From cardio, I can burn anywhere from 200-400 calories. However, I see other people on here going to the gym for 60 minutes and burning 700+ calories. I figure as long as I'm doing something physical that it's helping, as opposed to just sitting on the couch, but I feel like I should be burning more? I switch up what kinds of cardio every day, so it's not like I'm just doing one machine/exercise. Sorry if this is a silly question..

edited to add: I meet my daily calorie goals every day or have some calories left over, plus I eat back exercise calories.
    I was feeling like this last week....But I did some research and found out the different Target heart rate zones......when I was burning like 700-800 calories a day it wasnt doing me that much better then my 500.....let me explain : I was in cardio zone burning 700-800 a day.....then I found out if I keep my heart rate in the 60-70% range Its fat burning zone....so now thats what I am doing, Im keeping in fat burning zone to burn fat....Im not getting as many calories that I was in cardio zone, but I think fat burning zone will be my best bet to burn the fat off.....but thats just my thinking on it ...lol
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You're right that it is better than nothing. Also, I read somewhere that doing cardio first can increase the amount of calories you burn during other exercises because your body is still hot from cardio. Maybe that would do more?

I always assume the database here is inflated, if I ride my bike for an hour I might put down 50 minutes instead if I feel like one number is too much. Not too mention on the database people can choose from light cardio, moderate, intense- bear in mind that what is moderate to one is light to another.

They say you should do weight training first and then cardio. Not the other way around. HOWEVER, I did lose weight doing it the other way (cardio and then weights), but I also experienced some injuries that I now wonder if they were a direct result of wearing my muscles out doing cardio and then expecting them to perform weight training afterwards.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

Don't get hung up on what other people burn or think they burn. Heavier people will burn more calories doing the same thing; MFP overestimates burns anyway; and some people with heart rate monitors don't remember to back out the calories they would have burned during exercise time if they hadn't exercised. 80% of weight loss is about what you eat, not how much you exercise.

I have some freinds on my list who exercise several hours a day and not all of them are losing weight. Some of them are caught up in a cycle of losing and regaining the same 5-10 lbs and have been as long as they've been on my list.

I've never exercised every single day nor do I exercise for more than 45 minutes to an hour when I do. I lost very steadily, never plateaued.

Don't get yourself caught up in comparing yourself to someone else's weight loss battle. Just take care of yourself and you'll be fine.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and everyone needs a different type of burn! At the weight I am now it takes me quite a bit to burn 700 calories in an hour. In order for me to do that I have to be going at least 4mph and have a pretty high incline on the treadmill. Rarely do I burn that much anymore.

Before I hurt my leg I'd burn between 400-600 on a treadmill in about 30-45 mins or so. Again, it all depended on how much time I could squeak out of my day. As long as you are doing something and burning calories, I'd not worry.
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I burn calories at a lot higher rate than some of my girlfriends. Mostly because I am heavier than my friends. The more you weigh the more calories you tend to burn. I have also found that some of the "calorie" burn here on MFP is calculated wrong. So I always use a calorie burn calculator to make sure that they are in the same range of each other. Mowing the yard on a riding mower burns calories, but not as much as push mowing..... Cleaning burns calories, but my opinion is if you clean everyday, your body is used to it, and once your body gets used to it, it will stop burning the calories for it.

It sounds like you are doing a wonderful job. If you stop losing then change your routine, but as long as you are losing pounds and or inches, then you are good.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    No - its not a silly question. I ordered a HRM because I think the calories are over inflated on MFP. Keep in mind though that depending on intensity level and duration of your cardio exercise those factors can make a big difference in calories. Longer duration at lower intensity vs. shorter time at higher intensity can also change the calories burned. I agree with one of the above comments that mentioned using a tape - this way you can see the inches you are losing. Keep up the good work.
  • wonrob
    wonrob Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's definitely effective, moreso than being a couch potato. Let's say on average you burn 300cals per session, 5 times a week. That's just under a half pound loss per week.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Not a silly question. I kinda wonder what people are doing sometimes when burning 700+ calories in that amount of time too.

the bigger you are the more you burn for one and two some of us do exersice for more than 30 mins a day!

not there is anything wrong with 30 mins a day!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories you burn has to do with a series of values, to accurately calculate your calorie burn you'll need:

- Resting Heart Rate (the one you have when you wake up in the morning before doing anything else)
    - Average Heart Rate (Self explanatory)
    - Max Heart Rate (The maximum level at which your heart can pump blood)
    - VO2Max (the maximum volume of oxigen you can process)

These values varie from person to person (based on age, weight, sex, hr's, etc), so when someone burns 700 calories in an hour let's say running, it doesn't mean that you will burn exactly the same if you do the same at the same pace. It is in fact very likely that your burn will be very different from the other person. This is even more true if there are big physical differences (skinny vs obese), age difference (young vs old), sex difference (male vs female) etc.

From what you say you start with strength training and then progress to cardio, I'm not a trainer but I think you should start with cardio to elevate the heart rate, then get some strength, then go into a bit more cardio and more strength... make sure you keep your heart rate elevated throughout the workout, that will surely increase your burn.

Hope it helps.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    People who burn an insane amount of calories on cardio machines are IN MY OPINION, kinda wasting a work out.. This is why

1. Most of the time they don't eat their calories back because they would have to be eating so much, so they are contantly eating at a HUGE DEFICIT
    2. Generally the Cardio feinds don't do hardly any strength training, so they are burning lots of muscle along with the fat,.
    3. They generally work out for ridiculous amounts of time, and when you work out for more than about an hour your body releases cortisol into your system that basically halts all your work, and starts eating your muscle (I believe)

So IN MY OPINION, you are doing great... I only ever burn about 250-300 calories cardio, and then I do weights to help sustain my muscle.

so no worries. Stick with it!
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training, After your hiit session your body will continue to burn calories vs a regular cardio session.

Treadmill
    Speed 9-11mph
    On for 30 secs
    Rest for 45 mins

I vary my weight training, when I superset my DB Press / DB Row I do 1-2 min cardio then rest.
  • dddttt
    dddttt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I believe that as soon as you get off that couch - it's working and effective!
    I use the MFP's calorie count as for my training. I realize it's overinflated but I just keep that in mind and don't bother to correct the number (I don't know the real amount anyway), I don't eat as much as my calorie limit here allows me because I know it's affected by those false numbers.
  • cathyAprice
    Options
    Try bumping up your cardio...not necessarily the amount of time but exertion. Try high intensity interval training or plyometrics--exercises that get your heart rate up quick. I don't recall what you said you did for cardio...it may just need to be more intense. It's as simple as jumping higher, running faster, running/walking uphill, etc. And as others have said, it depends on your weight too. I burn more calories than most because I'm overweight. As I lose weight, I'll burn less calories doing the same workout (unless I make it more intense) which is why MFP will lower your caloric intake as you lose. Oh! And I use a HRM to get an accurate calorie burn. I hope this helps!