How do you get all your protein in?

Options
fitJoce
fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
I need to eat between 150 and 160 grams of protien a day. It's hard to do. Other than shakes and bars, and of course regular meals, what are some of the ways you sneak in extra protien?

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    String cheese
    Milk
    Greek yogurt
    Beef jerky sticks
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I get pretty close, I'm good if i'm over 100. I've been at this for 4 years now and this sort of thing doesn't stress me. I have a completely unsupported theory that even the recommended 1g/lb of lean mass is a lot.
  • fitJoce
    Options
    I should have also said, I dont do much dairy if any.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second @cwolfman13 and ask how you got that goal.
  • fitJoce
    Options
    Without going into scientific detail, I'm working on my body comp and I need to lose fat and gain muscle. This is what my trainer recommended along with other macro's.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    fitJoce wrote: »
    Without going into scientific detail, I'm working on my body comp and I need to lose fat and gain muscle. This is what my trainer recommended along with other macro's.

Do you know how your trainer arrived at that number? Was it based on your current LBM or weight?
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Egg whites help a lot. Protein powder too. But yeah that seems like a ton, and keep in mind most trainers aren't dietitians or even nutritionists even though they often act like they are.
  • fitJoce
    Options
    both I think. He also gave me a high goal and said that if I get to 135 a day it's still a great day.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Eggs, tuna, white fish, chicken, beef, pork, lamb, beans and legumes. As a female i can easily hit 100g a day, with that intake I'm guessing you're a male? So you should naturally be able to eat more than I do.
  • fitJoce
    Options
    Nope, I'm a girl, and have been eating paleo for a long time, I just don't eat enough.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Holy wowsers, that's way overkill.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm a 5'9, 172 lb female and I shoot for 140 grams per day on the advice of my powerlifting trainer. Your 150-160 number seems excessive. 135 seems more reasonable.
  • fitJoce
    Options
    I'm a 5'9, 172 lb female and I shoot for 140 grams per day on the advice of my powerlifting trainer. Your 150-160 number seems excessive. 135 seems more reasonable.

Great thing about macros is, we can always try it for a couple of weeks and then tweak it. I'm also going to have to up my carbs, and that's going to be a challenge too I think, but I guess that will be a bit more fun :)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I would honestly just try working on aiming for the 135 number first. If your trainer says that 135 is a good day, then give that a shot first.

Egg whites, chicken, beef, fish, dairy, and beans are all my regular protein sources.

Once you are consistently hitting the 135 number, then maybe look into increasing it but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

@fitJoce If you are going to hit this goal you will need to eat 28 grams of protein 6 times a day. That's pretty close to what I do. I'm 5'8" 170 lbs and currently trying to up my mass.

Friend me if you want to see my dairy. I will say this... The 135 amount he said if you hit would be a good day is probably a more realistic goal. It's possible he is shooting you high knowing you will fall in this area. Also, I'd start slowly adding in more fiber to take care of all the meat. :wink:

• VintageFeline
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »

@fitJoce If you are going to hit this goal you will need to eat 28 grams of protein 6 times a day. That's pretty close to what I do. I'm 5'8" 170 lbs and currently trying to up my mass.

Friend me if you want to see my dairy. I will say this... The 135 amount he said if you hit would be a good day is probably a more realistic goal. It's possible he is shooting you high knowing you will fall in this area. Also, I'd start slowly adding in more fiber to take care of all the meat. :wink:

No need to eat 6 times a day. totally preference on that front.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Great thing about macros is, we can always try it for a couple of weeks and then tweak it. I'm also going to have to up my carbs, and that's going to be a challenge too I think, but I guess that will be a bit more fun :)

I thought it would be, too, until I realized I didn't get any extra fat macros to go with... :(

Lots of oatmeal and rice, not doughnuts and pizza.
  • fitJoce
    Options

I thought it would be, too, until I realized I didn't get any extra fat macros to go with... :(

Lots of oatmeal and rice, not doughnuts and pizza.

True. My fat macros are definitely going down. Eating paleo without counting calories and macros, I was definitely eating a lot of fat. Healthy fat, but still fat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I get 150 - 2 main meals, a small protein based snack and dessert.

eggs/egg whites, kangaroo, fish, yoghurt/a bit of cheese, a small amount of collagen powder.... And whatever comes with vegies and nuts or grains I add in...