perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    chicken and eggs are my big ones
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @VintageFeline

The reason I suggested that, is because she's already having trouble eating the 150 to 160. It seems logical to break that amount up into smaller portions.

You are right though there is more than one way to go about it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    33% lean meat
    33% protein powder
    33% other (greek yogurt, eggs/whites, bars, etc.)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Based on your profile pic, I would agree that 135 would be more reasonable, if not still a great plenty. (Personally I like the 1 gram per pound of lean mass rule of thumb)
    I am 5'1'' 180 lbs and eat around 130-150 grams, which is well over what I probably need, but I'm heavier so I have plenty of calories to play with still after meeting that. If I were at a lower body weight and struggling with lower fats that would be a different story.
    I usually have 3-4 meals with meat, and one shake. I do get some protein from dairy and other sources, but I mainly build my day around chicken and beef.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    JB035 wrote: »
    fitJoce wrote: »
    Without going into scientific detail, I'm working on my body comp and I need to lose fat and gain muscle. This is what my trainer recommended along with other macro's.

@fitJoce If you are going to hit this goal you will need to eat 28 grams of protein 6 times a day. That's pretty close to what I do. I'm 5'8" 170 lbs and currently trying to up my mass.

Friend me if you want to see my dairy. I will say this... The 135 amount he said if you hit would be a good day is probably a more realistic goal. It's possible he is shooting you high knowing you will fall in this area. Also, I'd start slowly adding in more fiber to take care of all the meat. :wink:

No need to eat 6 times a day. totally preference on that front.

How much protein do you eat a day? @VintageFeline

The reason I suggested that, is because she's already having trouble eating the 150 to 160. It seems logical to break that amount up into smaller portions. Of course there are other ways to do it, from experience this helps because it kinda leaves you a little hungry during the day since you are not stuffing yourself to meet the goal.

I can easily hit 110-120 without trying, I often IF and when I don't I have porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast so I'm really getting that in two meals.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Without going into scientific detail, I'm working on my body comp and I need to lose fat and gain muscle. This is what my trainer recommended along with other macro's.

@fitJoce If you are going to hit this goal you will need to eat 28 grams of protein 6 times a day. That's pretty close to what I do. I'm 5'8" 170 lbs and currently trying to up my mass.

Friend me if you want to see my dairy. I will say this... The 135 amount he said if you hit would be a good day is probably a more realistic goal. It's possible he is shooting you high knowing you will fall in this area. Also, I'd start slowly adding in more fiber to take care of all the meat. :wink:

The reason I suggested that, is because she's already having trouble eating the 150 to 160. It seems logical to break that amount up into smaller portions. Of course there are other ways to do it, from experience this helps because it kinda leaves you a little hungry during the day since you are not stuffing yourself to meet the goal.

I can easily hit 110-120 without trying, I often IF and when I don't I have porridge (oatmeal) for breakfast so I'm really getting that in two meals.

That's awesome after two meals I have about 60 g of protein in.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I add an ounce of extra protein to all of my meals and make sure that all of my snacks contain a protein source. Doing this, I get to 140g of protein per day.

When I used to do paleo, I used turkey meatballs, and roasted chicken as a snack. If you are still eating paleo check out Stephanie Gaudreau's Performance Paleo cookbook if you haven't already. She has some interesting ways to increase your carbs as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1624141013/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489099343&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=performance+paleo+cookbook&dpPl=1&dpID=61N1Y534jgL&ref=plSrch
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    150 a bit high. I try and get 50 grams for lunch then your up at lunch/dinner. So 180g chicken for lunch. Protein shake and egg foe breakfast. Dinner, fish or meat. I also have 150g SKYR Yoghurt which is 15g protein, peanut butter and toast is 10g
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you have to work with (typical day w/ exercise calories)?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If I'm lower than I would like at the end of the day when I usually have some hot soup and crackers, I add an extra handful of meat into the soup before microwaving it (either chorizo that I chopped up and put in a freezer bag, or pieces of rotisserie chicken, or chopped ham).

I eat a lot of eggs, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, beans.

I typically get 90-100 grams on a ~1600 calorie day.
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    How many calories do you have to work with (typical day w/ exercise calories)?

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

That's awesome after two meals I have about 60 g of protein in.

Just had a quick look in my diary to find a higher day and only had to go to Tuesday when I accidentally had a larger serving of fish than I intended (but easily within calories). So 134g protein, lunch was 295g haddock. White fish and tuna I find are super easy to eat in volume, particularly if with a salad and a bit of your starch of choice. Dinner was 190g pork escalopes (super lean cut, not my fave but I bought so I better eat it!) for 253 calories. Boom, done. There was very little else in my day to provide protein. So even just adding some beans or lentils would further boost this number.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    chicken/shrimp/turkey are my go-to meats; greek yoghurt (roughly 15g carb/15g protein); egg whites

i do 130g a day and rarely use protein powders or bars
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's fairly easy for me because I'll eat just about anything. Some of my go to choices are:
    Sardines, especially Brunswick with hot peppers.
    Herring. I buy pickled herring and canned herring and used the canned herring on homemade pizza like you would use meat.
    Seafood in general. I like all fish and seafood and I'll eat it any way it's prepared and have no problem eating steamed fish with a little salt and pepper, squeeze of lemon and a drizzle of olive oil if I'm looking to add some fat that day.
    Milk. I make all my own "milks" from a combination of fats, protein powders and fruits/berries. Have a glass or on my cereal just about every day.
    Protein shakes after a workout. Combination of various vegetables, fruits, protein powder and fats. Usually works out close to a 1/3 portion for each macro.
    Soups/stews/chili. I do my own canning and usually make up concoctions with a good dose of protein, fat and carbs, again targeting that 1/3 portion for each macro. Have a serving every day for lunch and sometimes dinner. I always have a variety of 10-40 servings on hand at any one time.
    Greek yogurt. My go to dessert option on a regular basis with berries, fruit, nuts, seeds and sometimes maple syrup or honey.
    Some meat. I now refuse to consume big factory farm pork, beef and chicken at home so I'm sourcing out pasture fed beef and butter, free run chicken eggs etc. It costs more but I think it's worth it and I don't consume it in large amounts anyway so the added cost is peanuts or maybe even close to the same. Most of the meat goes into the aforementioned soup/stews/chili.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I need to eat between 150 and 160 grams of protien a day. It's hard to do. Other than shakes and bars, and of course regular meals, what are some of the ways you sneak in extra protien?

Do you have a Boston market near you? I used to buy a half rotisserie chicken- or just go to your grocery store- it had about 80g of protein in it alone!! Just something I enjoyed!
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Here's my dinner from yesterday, Korean Dak Galbi I've made :smile:

ykymcie0qf8i.png