Loose weight first then build muscles?

Options
Hi. I'm 27y.o guy 182cm 96kg (200lb)
I want to loose weight and build muscles? Can i do both at the same time or its better to loose weight first and then build muscles with calorie surplus? What type of workout would u suggest me? How many calories should i eat to loose weight and build muscles? Any cardio?

Thanks

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You should strength train while losing so you lose mostly fat rather than muscle. When you reach maintenance , then you can work on building new muscle mass.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You can definitely retain more muscle (and even build a small bit of it, especially as a newbie to weight training) by lifting while losing weight, and it's highly advisable to do so. Preserving what you have is a LOT easier than trying to put it back on after you've lost it, not to mention the fact that "bulking" (eating at a surplus to build muscle) also results in gaining back some of the fat you've lost.
  • Howieazb216
    Howieazb216 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am doing both now. I started at 240 (in my profile pic) and am now 205 with a goal of 175. My routine is usually lifting then cardio (I alternate between running 3 miles on the treadmill and rowing for 30 minutes).

If you are not used to working out, I would suggest adding things on gradually. I started cutting my calories at first for two weeks. Then i mixed in running for a month. Once i was comfortable with my diet and running, I started mixing in weights. By then, you will be able to tell what works for your body and what doesn't.

Your cardio should be at least 30 minutes. You will have to adjust your calories to account for the workouts and make sure you are getting enough protein so your muscles will have something to build with. My calorie intake is usually around 2000 daily (around 1600-1800 on rest days - your muscles still need fuel to repair and build).

As for weights, it depends on what you want to work on. If you join a gym, most offer a few free personal training sessions. They can get you started on what would be best for you.

One thing i can recommend - avoid judging by the scale and more about how your clothes fit.
  • RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You'll probably do better trying to gain muscle first then lose the fat. Having more muscle will increase your base metabolism so you'll loose fat quicker later on.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Start strength training now while eating in a deficit. At the very least you will hold onto more muscle than someone not training their muscles. If you are lucky you may even build more muscle. I did! Cardio is not necessary for weight loss. It just allows you to eat more food. This can be beneficial if that extra food means more protein, but if cardio takes away energy or time from your strength training, I wouldn't recommend it.
  • snikok
    snikok Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So should i eat in deficit while doing weights? Does it make sense?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    snikok wrote: »
    So should i eat in deficit while doing weights? Does it make sense?

Yep!
  • snikok
    snikok Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And also what kind of workout routine is better for losing weight? More reps ? More sets?
  • Howieazb216
    Howieazb216 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    More reps per set with lower weights will help tone. Larger weights at lower reps to increase size. Try 4 sets of 8