Diverticulitis/Low Residue Diet

Options
Hello,

I've been doing Keto or Low Carb on/off for about a year and half. Prior to that I did high fiber with great results. I lost at a faster rate on a higher fiber diet but I also understand and appreciate the benefits of Keto, especially not having cravings.

On Monday I finally went to the walk-in after experiencing severe belly pain for over a week. Needless to say, I was admitted to the hospital after a CT Scan showed I had a severe case of Diverticulitis. I was just released this morning. I have been on a liquid diet since last night when I was put on a Low Residue Diet. I am supposed to follow this until next Friday and then change to a high fiber diet.

I'm now at a loss on what I should do moving forward to stay Keto or even Low Carb.

Does anyone have any experience on this and would you be able to help shed some light on what I should be eating?

Thanks,

Nichelle

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm low residue because of crohn's but I'm not keto or low carb as I have so many food restrictions I don't want to make my diet even more restrictive
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I've been doing Keto or Low Carb on/off for about a year and half. Prior to that I did high fiber with great results. I lost at a faster rate on a higher fiber diet but I also understand and appreciate the benefits of Keto, especially not having cravings.

On Monday I finally went to the walk-in after experiencing severe belly pain for over a week. Needless to say, I was admitted to the hospital after a CT Scan showed I had a severe case of Diverticulitis. I was just released this morning. I have been on a liquid diet since last night when I was put on a Low Residue Diet. I am supposed to follow this until next Friday and then change to a high fiber diet.

I'm now at a loss on what I should do moving forward to stay Keto or even Low Carb.

Does anyone have any experience on this and would you be able to help shed some light on what I should be eating?

Thanks,

Nichelle

I'm not sure of the problem. I had to eat a low residue diet before surgery last year and most of the stuff on the list fit my keto way of eating. Other than the white bread and pasta, which I just left out.
  • nichellelee2002
    nichellelee2002 Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    EbonyDahlia, how do you eat high fiber while being on keto? I strived for around 40 grams of fiber prior to going keto. Unless I go off plan I don't barely meet 5-10 grams. I do not count net carbs, I count total carbs.

• DietPrada
    Options
    Ahh right, the high fibre bit is what you're struggling with.

Here is a great article https://www.verywell.com/getting-fiber-on-a-low-carb-diet-2242233
    With a food list https://www.verywell.com/high-fiber-low-carb-food-list-2242216
    And a great recipe list https://www.verywell.com/low-carb-menu-1-2242202
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I would stick to what your Dr has recommended until you are better. You can also supplement fiber with a myriad of powders, pills, wafers if your diet is lacking, but ultimately it should come from diet.
  • DietPrada
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I would stick to what your Dr has recommended until you are better. You can also supplement fiber with a myriad of powders, pills, wafers if your diet is lacking, but ultimately it should come from diet.

She has not mentioned not doing what the Dr has suggested. She has asked how she can eat Keto and High Fibre. The links in my post above cover this.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks,

Nichelle

Did the doctors/nurses/dietician at the hospital give you a list of foods to eat and what to avoid?

It would be best to stick to that or research dietary advice for acute diverticulitis.

While an acute attack of diverticulitis can result in hospitalisation, IV antibiotics and so forth, a 'severe' attack can cause strictures, bowel obstruction and can require surgical bowel resection so it's probably best to make eating appropriately for this medical condition your priority.

Go by the doctors advice. Here is an example of diet recommendations for diverticulitis:

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0035/154889/gastro_diverticular.pdf
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Maybe the keto diet isn't the best for you if you are experiencing these problems. How about increasing your carbs slightly adding some fibre rich foods and see if this makes a difference? Not enough to bring the craving back but enough to have no issues with fibre?
  • nichellelee2002
    nichellelee2002 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the information. They did provide a list and it's comparable to what you find online maybe 20 items or so. The information on a low residue diet is not abundant o:} I am going to follow the low residue diet and increase my carbs afterwards.
  • catluvgal
    catluvgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had this exact same thing happen to me and it's a real bi-otch! Do the low residue thing until you are healed, then soft reg foods then reg foods then ease back into the low carb. Fiber WILL NOT help diverticulitis. Whole foods, water and low levels of stool softener will (try one cap of Docusate each nite). Also, you are at risk for this again so keep clear liquids, baby foods on hand to get you thru the next attack... it will come nut you will learn how to read your body. As gross as it is to talk about, smooth and easy bowel habits are the most important thing with diverticulitis. Straining and constipation are the enemy! Best of luck!!!
  • catluvgal
    catluvgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    PS - while you are recovering, whole milk and smooth peanut butter will help keep your energy up. I live on whole milk chai and spoons of PB after the acute phase is past. Oh, and eggs.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I have ulcerative colitis and mostly have to do low residue but I don't think the way I do it would conform to keto. Also I'm not sure how you can do low residue and high fibre? Maybe I'm misunderstanding!
    For me low residue means no whole grains or complex carbs (so white bread,pasta and rice are ok)no nuts or seeds, no skins on fruit or veg ,only well cooked root veg. Eggs,cheese,milk and lean meat,poultry and fish are fine.
  • WWB53
    WWB53 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Since surgery to remove over half of large intestine, due chronic diverticulitis infections, I now have scar tissue (abdominal adhesions) that strangle my small intestine. It has been six months since the surgery and I have had 7 blockages due to scar tissue. The surgery to cut, free up intestines of scar tissue has an extremely high percentage of scar tissue returning due the fact the scarring is a result of the surgery, the bodies way of healing and protecting us. So having surgery after surgery the rest of my life is not an option in my opinion unless the blockage tears the intestine then it is emergency surgery.
    I have chose to live my life on a 3 stage, low residue diet permanently. Depending on how digestive system is acting I have to go to a complete liquid stage.There are many places to find these diets as almost all hospitals have diet guidelines for bowel obstructions. The problem is they are not meant for more than 2 weeks until your body recovers. My dilema is having decided to stick this HIGH BRED low fibre diet is how to get all the nutrients my body needs to stay healthy. I have been on this diet now for 19 weeks and once I accepted that I no longer eat I only refuel it not that bad. I am just struggling with getting the proper ratios in me all the time. Mostly I rely on protein shakes and bars for the majority of my intake and am slowly figuring out the rest with the help of myfitnesspal.com. It is great for me and I also get to track my exercises and all my medical issues in one place so no matter what doctor or dietitian I see I now have away of carrying everything with me at once as opposed four separate log books.