Confused about Sugar Goal

191353 Posts: 14 Member
Hi,
I am trying to understand why, for example, my sugar target when I look under "Goals" says 53, but when I look at my daily nutrition count the goal/target says 60, or something other than 53? Are the units of measurements different on different screens?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Did you add exercise calories? If not, they should be the same, but can you do screen prints?

I would ignore the sugar goal until labeling is fixed and MFP subsequently adjust their entries.
    Ah. That is exactly what it is. It's getting adjusted when I add my exercise calories. Can I prevent that?

Man, there goes that extra glass of wine I thought I was able to have :-)
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    The sugar goal isn't worth following. It counts all sugar - lactose in milk, sugar in whole fruit. I have no desire to limit these foods. I changed my display to show me carb, fat, protein, and fiber. That's it, and I don't honestly get religious about my macros.
  • psuLemon
    annacole94 wrote: »
    The sugar goal isn't worth following. It counts all sugar - lactose in milk, sugar in whole fruit. I have no desire to limit these foods. I changed my display to show me carb, fat, protein, and fiber. That's it, and I don't honestly get religious about my macros.

I agree.

Diets are about what can be followed. Not about restricting everything. I eat well over 120g per day of sugar... often more. All my metabolic markers have improved.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    191353 wrote: »
    Ah. That is exactly what it is. It's getting adjusted when I add my exercise calories. Can I prevent that?

If you are using the MFP approach you should be eating back some exercise calories. That's why it adjusts.

If you are using some other approach (like building in exercise calories upfront), then just log exercise as 1 calorie.
    Thanks. Your comments are very helpful! Appreciate it.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    edited March 2017

MFP does have the ability to disable adding exercise calories to your goal, but it is a premium feature. What other people usually do is log exercise as 1 calorie.

ETA: I use a hybrid of the MFP approach of adding exercise calories and including them in my goal. I set my deficit to be ~750 calories/day (so 1.5 lbs/week) and then add small amounts of exercise calories to my goal (between 1 and 50 usually)
    Curious - if I am eating and workout for weight loss, why would I "eat back" the calories i burned from a workout?
  • psuLemon
    Curious - if I am eating and workout for weight loss, why would I "eat back" the calories i burned from a workout?

Generally, i would start with eating 50% of them. And you can adjust up or down based upon your average rate of loss per week. If you are consistent with your exercise, I'd recommend looking it the TDEE method, so you don' t have to chase exercise calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member

Because if you're following MFP's goals you're set to lose weight without exercise. When you do exercise, you burn more calories than are expected, and to keep your deficit consistent and fuel your body you should be eating at least a portion of those calories back.

This is an excellent video explaining the reasoning: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    its like filling your gas tank in your car. you have enough to get you to work and back all week. take an extra trip during the week without adding more fuel and you're stranded friday afternoon.
    thanks! your comments are extremely helpful! So i went back and took a look at my settings on MFP. To lose 2 pounds per week without exercise I can only consumer 1200 calories per day (I would faint!). I am working out 6 days a week and burn 350-450 calories per workout....so I definitely need to be eating those calories. I think.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    thanks! your comments are extremely helpful! So i went back and took a look at my settings on MFP. To lose 2 pounds per week without exercise I can only consumer 1200 calories per day (I would faint!). I am working out 6 days a week and burn 350-450 calories per workout....so I definitely need to be eating those calories. I think.

You definitely do.

You don't want to have your calorie limit so severe than you quit before you lose the weight you need to lose.

How much do you need to lose to be at a healthy weight? 2 lbs per week is usually only recommended for the obese.