Why do people choose to do LCHF?

Options

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    There are some seriously good looking LCHF recipes. Outside my goals for calories, but cheesus have mercy!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I lost weight a couple of times on Atkins, which is a low carb diet. I liked the quick start, which was very motivating, even though it was mostly water (14 lbs. the first two weeks). It was very simple to follow, being mostly meat, eggs and vegetables. My husband liked it, a lot, since it had all his favorite foods (except for ice cream) and it was great for his blood sugar. However, for me it wasn't long term sustainable. I don't like meat and eggs enough to live on them forever, without starches to balance them. I like fruit and cereal. So while I lost 30-50 lbs on the diet, I always gained it back afterwards, because I ended up eating all the foods I had missed while losing weight.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There's nothing inherently unhealthy about a keto diet. I personally wouldn't choose it unless I had to as per some medical condition. IMO, it's completely unnecessary for losing weight and way too restrictive to do "recreationally" for weight loss.

This. I don't think keto/low carb is bad or unhealthy, just unnecessary. Some people really enjoy doing it though, so good for them figuring out what works for them :)

edit: unnecessary, barring a medical condition.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Ketosis is different from ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition related to diabetes, ketosis is just burning fat for fuel. It is not inherently unhealthy unless you have a preexisting condition that would be adversely affected. Many people, myself included, do LCHF because we find fat satiating, making it easier to stay in a deficit and lose weight. I also find it helpful to keep my blood sugar more level instead of going on the post-carb rollet coaster.

Whaaa?????? Well talk about a paradigm shift. I thought ketosis was when your body is feeding off of ketones and you're LITERALLY DYING ON THE INSIDE :#:#:#

But I must have been mistaken. Thank you for being so knowledgeable. :)

Ketosis is the body's natural reaction to produce energy from fat as opposed to producing energy from sugar... it happens every time there is not enough glucose present (saved) in the liver, muscles and food consumed to keep the body functioning. Ketoacidosis is a condition that can only occur in Type-1 diabetics (whose body doesn't produce any insulin) and is not a concern for people outside of that community.

actually type 2s can end up with ketoacidosis.but its not as common as it is in type 1s
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think when people think of carbs they think of breads, baked goods, pizzas and donuts. Those arent real carbs. Real carbs are fruit, veg, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, and other grains. If you eat carbs in their whole form without blending them, refining them or adding sugars and salt, they will not make you ravenous. They will fuel you and make you happy
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've done Keto a few times because I've seen lots of success stories where people didn't count calories, but it's not sustainable for me because I like a lot of volume when I eat. That makes it hard because you have to severely restrict veggies and fruit due to their carb content. I could (and do) easily eat several cups of broccoli for under 100 cals but it would be over half the day of carbs:( and love an apple as a snack for less than 100 cals but more than a full day's worth of carbs! So, you end up eating more fat which may satiate some people but not particularly for me. As a short female at 5'0 I just found it hard to stay at the calories I need to be at without being able to use the amount of veg I typically like bulk my meals with.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think when people think of carbs they think of breads, baked goods, pizzas and donuts. Those arent real carbs. Real carbs are fruit, veg, brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, and other grains. If you eat carbs in their whole form without blending them, refining them or adding sugars and salt, they will not make you ravenous. They will fuel you and make you happy

Sorry, but this is not true of everyone. If it works for you, that's great, but don't assume yours is the only correct way to eat. It does not matter to my insulin resistance if it's a piece of fruit, quinoa, or bread--any of those will spike my blood sugar and I'll be starving and get the shakes within an hour. I do not have those problems on a low carb diet. Your way would not work for me, and maybe mine would not work for you. There is no one right way to eat.

Sorry, but this is not true of everyone. If it works for you, that's great, but don't assume yours is the only correct way to eat. It does not matter to my insulin resistance if it's a piece of fruit, quinoa, or bread--any of those will spike my blood sugar and I'll be starving and get the shakes within an hour. I do not have those problems on a low carb diet. Your way would not work for me, and maybe mine would not work for you. There is no one right way to eat.

Well, for one- I didnt say that there was one right way for everyone. But to bring it to the science, a plant-based diet free of oil, low in fat, and free of salt, oil and sugar (SOS,) is the only diet in the world that has ever reversed diabetes. Check out Dr.Neal Bernard an T. Colin Cambell. The thing is, you cnt keep eating fat and animal products if you want the whole foods plant based diet to work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktQzM2IA-qU