Binge eating help needed here

Options
I do great then i get period cravings or stress and my emotional eating binges get the best of me. How does one get through it? I find it hard these past 2 weeks to get back on the wagon. I feel helpless when i relapse. Any advice from people who have acutally overcome this?? I need help

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Look for a trigger or pattern. Is it what you're eating earlier in the day? I find certain foods make me crave things later and i lose my mind. keep track of what you're eating..write it down and try to figure it out. for me.. noodles and noodle soup makes me eat out of control the rest of the day. Silly.. but true.
  • Scarlet9904
    Scarlet9904 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i honestly cave to mine but i eat low cal veggies so i can eat as much as i want to >.>
  • jacster320
    jacster320 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to do this, I still do sometimes but less so. I watched this Ted Talk on how to change bad habits, you can look it up on their website but basically the idea is to go ahead and binge eat, but be very self aware. How does it make you feel? Does it actually make you feel better? Focus on the taste of the food and how you feel afterwards, physically and mentally. It's much easier to change your habits if you see and feel and realize that it sucks and makes you feel gross. You won't want to binge eat anymore, therefore you won't or will do so less! Hope this helps ☺️
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I still stress eat. Maybe one day I'll figure out how not to (will be watching any advice you get). But I'm back on track the instant the stress lets up, and stay on track. And for the last year or so I have made more of an effort to avoid stress. As to how I get back on track so quickly, the answer is that I like my version of a diet. I keep my deficit small (no starving for me) and enjoy exercise.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I have seen a nutritionist, a therapist, Overeaters Anonymous. None helped me. And then I went to see a new nutritionist who specialized in BED. She gave me a plan that I do not agree with. Though she wants me to not diet which would lead to the binge. So I am being more relaxed with my plan and if I have an extra this or that, to just move on and continue eating in the right proportions. So I have been going to OA for a few months. Don't really think it is for me but I may continue for a bit more and see. There are a lot of books out there. If it is "period" time, how about including some foods you crave at that time, just plan it in. As for getting back after a binge, that is a tough one because sometimes it would take me months to psyche myself up to begin again. Hugs.
  • Scarlet9904
    Scarlet9904 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    although i should also add i dont eat out of emotions or bordom i have a sleep disorder and my body will go into major hunger cycles to fight off sleep attacks i just found it easier to eat when i feel hungry but to make sure its something low in calories so i dont go over
  • happydaysmkm
    happydaysmkm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Omfg!! Yes to the sleep thing. I havent slept much lately!! Wow. Thank for all the advice. Sound like i need to be mentally aware of my binges ( sadly they are TRUE binges) i cant control them but ill try to start being mindful of them. Im gnna do my best to get off this binge. Believe it or not its a lot *kitten* harder then simply move one. Its been two week and this this forum has really motivated me. You ladies are so great ! And im almost tearing up to know im not alone
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    It may also help to describe what you consider a binge... it actually may not be one.

For example, there was someone who spoke of binge eating on the weekends but it actually was just that she went out to restaurants and her calories were just double what she would eat on a weekday, which isn't a binge it's just a result of food choice and portion sizes..

Which the result was better advice for her because it wasn't a binge.

^if anyone knows their stuff regarding this subject, it's @Look_Its_Kriss . Listen to her. Spend some time reading her incredible posts and how she worked hard to battle her BED. She has been most generous sharing her experience and has helped many, including me.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I have seen a nutritionist, a therapist, Overeaters Anonymous. None helped me. And then I went to see a new nutritionist who specialized in BED. She gave me a plan that I do not agree with. Though she wants me to not diet which would lead to the binge. So I am being more relaxed with my plan and if I have an extra this or that, to just move on and continue eating in the right proportions. So I have been going to OA for a few months. Don't really think it is for me but I may continue for a bit more and see. There are a lot of books out there. If it is "period" time, how about including some foods you crave at that time, just plan it in. As for getting back after a binge, that is a tough one because sometimes it would take me months to psyche myself up to begin again. Hugs.

My nutritionist (dietician) told me to eat more whole grains. So now I binge on kashi cereal, popcorn and Ezekiel bread along with my yogurt and cottage cheese. It's good to have an expert. Not so good to blindly take their advice,
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Get the sleep under control, see a doc. Allow yourself treats. I'm doing a pretty good job eating under my caloric goal but still have cravings too. Tonight, I ate my saved for calories snack, went back for more, decided on hot tea to try make it pass. It didn't, so now I'm just going to bed an hour or so early.

I've learned when I eat poorly I get frustrated, so I'm trying to prevent that cycle.

I also read success stories and lunch in carrots, apple, air popped popcorn....
  • creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can't control myself around carbs(or at least I use to be like that). I would buy 2 tubs of ice cream bogo and finish them off by the next day. I could down a large special pizza, a cheese steak, buffalo wings, and a Coke no problem. It was really bad. I switched to eating low carb(paleo at first then keto). Paleo was great but it stopped working so I switched to keto. I went through some crazy sugar withdrawal in the beginning. Crazy cravings, dreams where I was eating, stuff like that and eventually it just stopped. Now it's hard to get to 2000 calories. One day I even forgot to eat dinner, it's nuts. I stopped doing keto a few times and the cravings sort of came back. My sugar limit is pretty low now, too much and I get grossed out.
  • happydaysmkm
    edited March 2017
    Options
    hmmm... yeah... its true, i wouldn't know anything about binge eating.

Dont get offended. Im just simply saying i have identified already as a true binge. Ive had this problem for awhile now. Its pretty embarrassing
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    PS im a pre doctorate student, a nurse, a mother, and a wife to a slob lazy husband. Tons of stress ladies. And stress really is my binge trigger . Stongly thinking bout yoga at home

I find a regular exercise program tremendously helpful for stress. I used to use alcohol and food to manage stress but now I use exercise.

If I'm really stressed I'm not in the right frame of mind for something meditative like yoga and like to do something else first - walking, gardening, weight lifting, etc. Or I do my yoga warmups while watching a TV show and then move on to Sun Salutations, etc.

Oh, I do my own yoga practice - this may be less of an issue for someone who is following along to a DVD.
  • happydaysmkm
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Today i had 2 activia yogurtw after work. I was craving a binge earlier today. I didnt totally give in. Although i did in fact hav a burger for lunch ; it doesn't mean I have to ruin the rest of the day. I decided when i feel a binge coming I'm gnna try to give in with healthy substitutes. I read and I took something from every single post. I know ill fail a few more times but i can look at this forum and re read yalls post for help. I think im feeling ok about this now.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Today i had 2 activia yogurtw after work. I was craving a binge earlier today. I didnt totally give in. Although i did in fact hav a burger for lunch ; it doesn't mean I have to ruin the rest of the day. I decided when i feel a binge coming I'm gnna try to give in with healthy substitutes. I read and I took something from every single post. I know ill fail a few more times but i can look at this forum and re read yalls post for help. I think im feeling ok about this now.

OP I think that no one size fits all when it comes to binge eating. If the issue persists, maybe it would be worth speaking to a trained professional. It is my understanding that binge eating can wreak havoc physically, mentally and emotionally. I'm sending positive thoughts your way. I hope you get better soon. Best of luck!
  • traceyleighhoover
    traceyleighhoover Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a recovering bulimic and binge eater. I would recommend reading "Rational Recovery". It's about substance addiction, particularly alcohol, but it helped me recover from my addiction to food. Conventional therapy is ridiculous. Self-help is the way to go.