Batch baking potatoes for the week?

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
I know I can batch bake potatoes and use them for other potato recipes, but I just want the baked potato. Is it possible to bake 5 potatoes one time and store them to eat the rest of the week? I've searched online and the longest people recommend is one day, then use whatever is left over for mashed, fried, salad potatoes.

This is a stupid question I'd ask my mom to save myself embarrassment, but I don't have a ouija board handy.
250px-BakedPotatoWithButter.jpg

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. The texture of the skin will change, but that'll happen as soon as it cools down. We often have leftovers and the kids eat them for a few days until they're gone.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've done this before with sweet potatoes and they came out ok...not as good as fresh from the oven though. I've also only kept them for two or three days...but I'm kind of weird about anything past 72 hours as "leftovers" are concerned.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    5 days is kind of on the edge for how old of a baked potato you should eat. Pure carbs (like potatoes and rice) are pretty much the perfect place for bacteria to grow. Water + sugar + base to grow on.

How do you feel about microwaved "baked" potato?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    To eat cold?
    Or hot?- A lot of people just make baked potatoes in the microwave in the first place (stab a few times, then usually ~5min if memory serves, then wrap in foil to continue warming a few more minutes). Try it and see if you like the consistency of oven baked + microwave re-heat better than just microwaving the raw potato.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I've done restaurant leftovers of baked potatoes in the microwave the next day...seemed fine to me (I'm not too picky though).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Microwaved doesn't have the same texture? as oven baked and I always have to play with the time to get them cooked, eventually just eating whatever turns out after 10 minutes because I'm lazy and hungry.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like to start them in the microwave and finish in the oven , so they are very quick. I don't like the texture once they have been baked and then refrigerated.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have reheated baked potatoes in the oven and the skin comes out recrisped.

But yeah, there is also the starting in the microwave to pretty much cooked then crisping the skin in the oven.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I bake 2-3 sweet potatoes at a time so I have them ready to be heated up for meals. I dunno....it works fine for me.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I did a batch of 12 in the Crock-Pot and ate them for a week. I thought it was awesome