Logging dried spices?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I haven't. Maybe I should given I found a database entry for a 600 calorie garlic clove.

Ugh - is it still like that? I emailed Support about that several times. I have since given up trying to get Support to fix erroneous system entries.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    40 calories is pretty high, unless it is a spice blend containing cheese and/or a lot of sugar.
    Or a huge amount of hot sauce. But for dry spices, I agree.

I log if they contain sodium, but that's because I track it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I was surprised at the calories in pepper, granulated garlic, and cumin. I always thought it was close to zero calories. I usually log garlic fresh or dry.

So much depends on the source. Herbs generally have almost no calories since they are the leaves of the plant. Spices are any other part of a plant and can have calories. Roots like ginger, turmeric, etc. often have calories. Seeds like cumin, etc. vary. Dried "vegetables" like paprika, red pepper flakes, cayenne, etc. (which are dried chili peppers) as well as garlic and onions would have calories because their fresh source has calories. Seasonings are where you have to be careful. They are made of a mix of herbs and/or spices and often have things like salt, cheese, and sugar added. Some, like chili powder, are pretty low but there are others that can be a bit high.

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I only log spice blends, and only if I use a lot. Some of them will have sugars and other additives that increase calories. Dried pure spices are unlikely yield have enough caloric value to impact your calorie goals.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    lol,
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I log it for my own sanity, but I use spoons and cups to measure. It really does not make a difference, in my opinion.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Curry powder is 20 cals a tbsp. I log the stuff, it's not nothing when you're on 1300 odd cals.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm very short and very close to my goal, so I'm on a small deficit. I log everything, even Splenda. Not everyone will feel like it's productive to be that precise.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I only put them in the recipe when I use the recipe builder, but it is only to remember what kind of seasoning I use in the recipe. I am also very short and small but few grams of omission here and there never made a dent when I was trying to lose or now that I am maintaining.
  • NikkiiBaby68
    NikkiiBaby68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    if they have no sodium i dont count them
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I haven't. Maybe I should given I found a database entry for a 600 calorie garlic clove.

Ugh - is it still like that? I emailed Support about that several times. I have since given up trying to get Support to fix erroneous system entries.

I haven't ran into it in a couple of months. Maybe it's fixed or fell to the bottom of the search results. That was the first erroneous entry I encountered on MFP, so it always sticks with me.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    dried spices, do they have that many calories in them, i would think maybe sodium would be high in some spices, but calories, LOL, mrs dash works well if your worried about sodium and calories, i dont think it makes that big of a difference for me anyways, its not like your using pounds of spices a day or maybe you are i dont no, good luck LOL
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only spices i log are Mustard powder and curry powder that i add to my curried eggs and homemade burger patties, just those 2 alone add up to around 80 calories.

I don't bother with salt, pepper, chili flakes etc etc as the calories in those are negligible.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    The only one I really consider is paprika, as it has a significant number of calories and tends to be added in larger quantities than other spices. The rest of them I reckon to be not significant as it is only a pinch here and there.

I'm now wondering if I should change this approach.

Dying to know what OP put on those eggs!
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Penny pinching
  • jjalbertt
    jjalbertt Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I add depending on what it is..and if I'm building a recipe. Garlic powder is higher than most... Black pepper and salt when I scan the bar code is 0... So just depends.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It's not worth to log them. Won't make any difference in weight loss at all
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't count spices and I don't count condiments either because I use the low-calorie varieties and put them on so thinly it wouldn't make hardly any difference anyway.
  • GrahamUK72
    GrahamUK72 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I log the calories for my nutmeg and cinnamon in my morning porridge. It's a huge 4cals for both :)