Made a mistake. Crap!

Options
MaddMaestro
MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I own two scales.

For a majority of my weight loss, I've been using a dial scale at home. I recently bought a digital scale so I could measure BMI and all that jazz, but the digital scale says I'm about 4-6 lbs heavier. Now I don't know which one to believe. Did some research, and I'm lead to believe that the digital scale may be more accurate for weight. I don't know.

Replies

• MaddMaestro
    Options
    its not a mistake... all scales are different. if you weighed yourself on 6 sets you'd probably get 6 different weights... choose one, stick with it.

Can I choose the lowest? Lol
  • MaddMaestro
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter. Just pick one and go with it.

Personally, I'd go with the digital scale.

Seems good to me. I haven't officially changed my weight yet so I should still be good as long as I continue tracking measurements
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The new digital one is probably more accurate. Other than the "oh no" factor in your mind, nothing has changed. Try not to fixate on the numbers, it can be maddening - after all, the number is just one of many metrics you can judge your success by.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Generally, newer scales are more accurate than older scales because springs wear out over time.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When my sister and I moved, we didn't have a scale for a few months (couple of broke-hineyed *kitten*s). I started using the scale at work. It's under different conditions from the scale I was using at home, so I just stopped logging weight until I had lost enough to make up the difference. Now I just use the scale at work for tracking purposes since I have access to it 4 days a week anyway.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    if you are really that concerned see if you can pop into your Dr's office and use the one that has the tall part, you know what I mean?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have 3 sets of scales in my house and all say something different. I have the dial kind and it was always about 4-6 lbs lower than the digital scales. I use one of my digital scales and stick only with that one scale now. If I have to go to the doctor and they weigh me on their beam scale at check-in I'm always a couple pounds more there as well, lol.
  • creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is the same anyway since you took your original weight on the old scale. It's no big deal
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing. I can figure my own BMI. Now that crazy scale sits unused and I use the one I got at Costco.
  • Scarlet9904
    Scarlet9904 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    also remember that weight changes throughout the day and from day to day
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ditch the dial, digital is far more accurate.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    My wife bought an expensive digital scale, and I was suspect of it's accuracy. I took it to Gold's Gym (that has a scale in the locker room and one up front, both weigh the exact same) and it was not only off, each time I stood on it it was off a different amount from the Gold's Gym Scale (new batteries, new scale). I went to Walmart and bought a digital scale for $17.95 and it is sooooo consistent. For me, this is like having a really good stapler....
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Pick a horse.....
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Definitely depends on the scale. I use an old fashioned one. It's pretty accurate. I calibrated it to my doctor's scale. Around the same time, I checked a family member's digital scale. It was about 10 lbs off--making it seem like I was 10 lbs lighter than reality. So I don't necessarily subscribe to the notion that digital is more accurate.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter. Just pick one and go with it.

Personally, I'd go with the digital scale.

THIS!! I also have 2 scales and used to drive myself crazy comparing the weights on both but I finally decided that I was only going to use the digital scale and was only going to weigh myself once a week. As long as I see a downward trend in my weight, I'm good.