Vent/curiosity of diet advice I received

Options
Lizzypb88
Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
So I started with a new psychologist as my old one moved.. so not normal to think I would be even talking about my dieting since it's been going well...

So I start out by saying I've lost 80 pounds this last year, but gained back almost 10, and seeing a nutritionist has helped me lose the rest.. the guy went on to ask me what I eat, and right away goes.. oh no honey, your nutritionist sounds crazy, you can talk to me about dieting, I've lost as much as you have and gained most of it back, so I'm back into dieting too, and I know the ropes
... he went on to say that I should look at that "my 600 pound life" show and the Atkins diet and realize that I won't lose unless I eat under 20g of carbs a day... me having a brain, I said- well that's not sustainable long term though? And he went on to say that's why he gained most of his weight back was because he started eating carbs again...
This guy sounds like a wack job, and insulting my nutritionist and telling me to come to him for any weight loss advice... no thanks, I'm doing fine.

Why is it that people think it's okay to insert their opinions when you're doing well with what you're working with, and why why do people think that these VERY low/no carb diets like atkins are sustainable long term? Or am I overreacting? To each their own, until you start telling me that I'm going about my way wrong.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Ignore him and get a new psychologist.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Any time you talk about your weight loss with someone you invite their opinions. Don't talk about it if you don't want input.

There are a lot of diet plans out there that don't talk about calories or care about sustainability. People want fast big losses like on reality shows. Carbs have been the devil for a decade or so. People want to believe that it was the carbs not them eating too much. A lot of people don't know weight management is all about calories no matter what diet you follow.

Sounds like you've done great. :)
  • LeaLea1976
    LeaLea1976 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a new psychologist! One professional should never degrade or interfere with another's treatment plan. Maybe a "you should ask your nutritionist about blah blah diet. It worked for me." but never should he degrade another professional.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I think I'd have to be frank on the issue. "We're not going to talk about diet anymore. You've found a way that works for you but you clearly don't understand how it all really works, and it's not worth the debate. You're a psychologist. Do your job."
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Any time you talk about your weight loss with someone you invite their opinions. Don't talk about it if you don't want input.

There are a lot of diet plans out there that don't talk about calories or care about sustainability. People want fast big losses like on reality shows. Carbs have been the devil for a decade or so. People want to believe that it was the carbs not them eating too much. A lot of people don't know weight management is all about calories no matter what diet you follow.

Sounds like you've done great. :)

I'd agree - but she was talking to her psychologist. That's supposed to be a safe and constructive place... not what she described. You're trusting this person with your mental health... I don't see how she was inviting their opinion. Losing 80 pounds affects you more than just physically.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would be jumping to ditching him right off the bat. I mean...is he a good therapist, because those can be hard to come by... If so I would be clinging to that despite his diet ramblings.

My take from what you wrote isn't that he was pressuring you to change your way of eating so much as being overly annoying/enthusiastic about what works for him. If this were discussed as a side subject vs as part of your actual therapy session I would blow it off. If it continues then you have a problem, but I doubt you will.

People are always going to want to voice their opinions on anything and everything. We have to pick and choose what's really worth getting in a twist about.
  • metalmeow1
    metalmeow1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I watched my carbs for a week and lost more than usual... But it's not sustainable nor enjoyable for me personally. Carbs are yummy.