Runners Explain...

Options

Replies

• fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was like you, I used to find it pointless, after all there are gyms where you can burn the same calories without being exposed to the elements. I live in Ireland you see, elements (in particular rain) play a big part here.

Anyways, recently I started walking and while walking I was mostly listening to either podcasts I'm interested in or audiobooks or something to ocupy my time. Recently (just over 2 weeks) I started a program called c25k (couch to 5 kilometres) which is a interval training program to get you running. I downloaded the podcasts for the program and I jog, I liked it so much that instead of the half hour that the podcasts last, I usually let it run to the next week and do another full program for a full hour or jogging/walking.

I can tell you, I never saw myself as a runner before but now, I can't think of me not going out and walking/jogging.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This question always intrigues me. Find something you like and do that instead. There are lots of things you can do that will get you in shape besides running. Try kick boxing, swimming, basketball, Zumba, spinning. There are so many options. Running can be hard and it's even harder if you don't like it. Life's too short to waste your time doing something you hate in my opinion.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I always said I hated running, but then one day I realized I'd never given it a chance. I've always been heavy and, admittedly, running is not the easiest thing to do when you're heavy. So I decided to challenge myself. I found the C25k (Couch to 5k) program and committed to finishing that program - if I still hated running when it was over, then at least I gave it a shot. But I Don't hate it! I found that I enjoy the challenge it gives me, trying to run a little faster or a little longer. Running can be incredibly relaxing - I prefer to run outdoors with no music - just me and my thoughts and the environment. I'm not a big fan of running on the treadmill or using the elliptical, as I feel like a mouse in a wheel going nowhere - running outside is much more fun to me.

That said - running's not for everyone. There's no reason you should have to do any particular activity. Sounds like you barely tolerate the elliptical as it is... don't be afraid to find activities that you actually ENJOY - try different things. There are many different cardio activities out there, and there's no reason you should feel stuck doing something that you don't enjoy. Swimming, hiking, walking, group classes, kickboxing, at-home DVDs, dancing... the sky's the limit.

Edited to add: I agree with the poster above who said it takes about 2 miles to really enjoy/get-into the run. I have to push past the first part of a run which is always a bit of an effort to get started, but then after a bit, something changes and I feel great!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    I would not say I am a runner...but I agree...the c25k running program is awesome...after the first two weeks I was hooked! I like that it starts you out nice an easy as you build

This!! :smile: I started off hating running, thought I'd give C25K a go as someone told me it was good for burning fat - I have now done my first 5K race AND I've joined a running club!!!!!

I would also add that if you don't like it, you'll never keep doing it, so you should really find something you enjoy and will keep on doing - for me it's horse riding and cycling. No reason why you should have to run, there's sooooo many things out there you could do :smile:
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I HATED running... even when I was thin .... and I LOVE running now.
    I have found big luv in the run/walk/run formula... knowing that I am just another couple of minutes away from another walk break is the ticket for me.

I have also found that it takes almost 20 minutes for me to feel good... if I judge any run by how I feel before I hit 2 miles I would NEVER run ... once I realized that and reminded myself instead of freaking out that ... yep every first couple of miles suck... I realized I love it.

When I ran my first half marathon I even wrote on my arm in Marker ... it all gets better after 2.5 :)

I'm with Emma. I absolutely despised running. I mean, really, really hated it. I've gotten better over time, and now miss it if I don't get a run in.

I think most runners would agree that at least the first mile sucks. :D Problem is, most people who hate it quit before that marker. :) I've gone from a 19 minute mile in January to a sub-12 minute mile now. AND, I'm training for a half! (did I REALLY just say that??!!!)
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    Yes, I'm one of those hate it then loved it runners. I started out in February running to lose weight. At first, I really didn't want to get going. But after I got passed a few good runs, I really got into it. I even did a 1/2 marathon last Saturday. Rain nor shine, i'll run because I love it.

You said your shins hurt. my advice is let your shins heal before trying to do a solid run. those are called shin splints. it goes away, but you have to figure out what your doing that causes it. google, "good running form" or youtube it. good shoes are a must. I bought some inexpensive new balance shoes from a discount store and those worked for a while. But after I really got into it, I figured out that I really needed the 100 dollar shoes. mostly try to stick to New Balance, Saucony, Asics, and maybe Nike or Reebok. Try the inexpensive ones first and get an idea for which shoes feel the best.

take it easy at first, try to glide along rather than hitting your feet on the ground. when you run, make it so that your feet don't make any noise. be careful of your knees. Tendons in knees tend to get really sore when first running. If you feel pain, start walking. Work up to a good pace.

your first few runs, just go a half mile or a mile. it doesn't matter how far you go or how long. What matters is that you continually increase your distances and speed over a long period of time. In about 3 to 6 weeks, you'll be surprised at how good of a runner you are and how much your addicted to it. run 3 to 5 days a week. spread out your rest days. like every other day. I run 5 days a week, my rest days are friday and sunday. I now run 30 - 40 miles a week.

My wife, started running too and at first, she hated it. But last Saturday, she ran a 5k and loved it. this week she's been running more then ever and loving it. It may be good to look for a 5k and sign up for it. a 5k is 3.1 miles. train for it. having a goal, will get you to want to run. But when you get to that event, no matter how well you do, you'll be proud of how far you've come and you'll want more.

Good luck, I'm excited for you. I hope you become a great runner. soon people will be looking at you and wondering who's chasing you.
  • lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I use to hate running. I could never get past the aches and pains it brought to me.

What got me to start running was a friend of mine. She had passed away from Leukemia and the Leukemia & Lymphoma society was doing a marathon in her honor 6 months from the time I found out about it. Apparently she had volunteered to be a fundraising coordinator for the longest time. Anyhow, I began training for it. It was important to me to do it for her.

I pushed through all the aches and pains until one point during my first run my muscles felt so exhausted that they became numb. For some reason, I felt the need to go faster. And faster. I didn't want to stop. I felt like I could keep running forever.

That's what hooked me. I completed the marathon and haven't looked back. Of course I had surgery and my endurance went to crap. I just started to run again and I'm experiencing that feeling all over again.

All in all, if running is something you're interested in doing, set small goals for yourself. Right now I'm running around my neighborhood and I usually set a goal of running 4 streets then walk 1 street, e tc. Sometimes, I set a new goal of running 5 streets instead. The idea is to not push yourself further than what you can handle.
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You probably hate it because it's so hard! I've been there but decided to just do it... now that I'm better at running it's much more fun.. get some good engaging songs on ur iPod to distract you and then push through it! Good luck!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    my philosophy has always been just because God made it so that we can run doesn't mean that we should. lol.

a few years ago, i was conned into starting the couch to 5k program by my sister-in-law (a marathoner). i conned another friend to join me. each week was harder than the last. it SUCKED! we both hated it and vowed that we wouldn't run ever again after completing the program. we completed it in 16 weeks (it's a 9 week program) and ran a 5k race. done! forever...

or so i thought. a few months passed and i started to miss running. what?!? but i hated running. hmmmm. so i started running again, and now i love it. however, my friend has never gone back to running. for me, it helps to have a goal to work towards and i run one race each month.

give it a shot. :) maybe it's not for you, but you'll never know until you try.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk and add running 'sprints' ... like if you go for an hour walk, every 5 minutes add 1 minute of sprinting :) It will gradually get you into running, and you'll find walking a waste of time! haha
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Im not a runner either and sterted the C25K program. I think I now enjoy what im doing because I see it as a major challenge! :) You just gotta get out ther hun :) xxx

I agree -- I still have a love/hate with it some days, but mostly a love more than hate, just because I've broken through the phase you're in now. Be patient with yourself. It's taken me 12 years of off and on plodding/jogging to get to the point where I don't wanna die after 3 miles. :flowerforyou:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I am no expert and not a competitive runner, but I do and have enjoyed running for exercise since high school.

Running is not something that you will necessarily fall in love with over night. But with time you will.

The key is to make running as comfortable and enjoyable as you can. Run at a time of day that works well for you. For example, I don't enjoy running as much early in the morning compared to later in the day. I find running is a great way to release steam, de-stress from the work day, etc which is probably why I prefer running in the evening.

Get a good pair of running shoes, this is the most important tool in running. Everyone's feet are different and there are running shoes designed to fit your foot, go to a fitness store and get sized properly and find a shoe that is meant for your foot. A pair of shoes that is giving you blisters, your foot falls asleep in, you get heel sores, etc...the shoes don't fit your feet properly. Get some new ones.

Finding your groove.... when you first start out, jogging may be uncomfortable, pace might be awkward, etc. The more you try it and the more experience you get with running the more you will settle into the motions and find a pace and stride that is comfortable and you can maintain naturally. Breathing properly is also very important in running.

Programs like C25k are a great way to get into running. Every week brings new challenges.

If running on a treadmill, find something to occupy your field of vision and time. Read a book or watch television. Running on a treadmill can become very boring very quickly for a lot of people. You need something to keep your mind occupied.

Listening to music is great whether running outside or indoor. Crank up some good tunes in your ear phones.

Running outdoors, choose different routes to keep the scenery unique. Find a running partner so your not alone if the social aspect would help keep you occupied while running.

Use a phone app like Runkeeper to keep you in check on distance, current pace, avg pace per mile, etc etc. The app helps me push on, as it provides audio cues and reports through my ear phones as I jog.

I also have to add that the first section of any run is the worst until you get warmed up and find your groove. The first 1/2 mile to mile I run is not nearly as comfortable as the 2nd and 3rd mile. My legs need to warm up, despite the fact that I stretched beforehand, and I need to find my natural groove.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner...AT ALL. I see people running down the street and always look to see who is chasing them! I have a very hard time running on pavement, treadmills, etc. The only thing I can stand to do is the ellyptical machine and even that gets really boring after about 15 minutes. Any suggestions to liking to run? Has anyone started out hating it and now love it. i know it's one of the best ways to lose pounds but I seriously hate it. My shins burn and I lose breath too fast. I quit smoking about 10 months ago so it should be better to breathe now.

I was not a runner until about 4 years ago and haven't looked back. Quitting smoking will definnitely help!! Burning shins and losing breath are also sign that you are just trying to go out too quickly. Everyone thinks they can just go out and run, and that is just not the case for most of us. I started running in 2-3 minute intervals, until I had run 15 mins total, or a little over a mile, then built on that. I've gone on to run several races, including 5-10 milers and 2 half marathons. I'm doing my first sprint triathlon in 8 weeks!!

Shoes are the one and only piece of equipment that you must have when you run, so get fitted for them @ a specialty running store. Good music on your iPod helps tremendously too. And as several others have said...the first couple of miles are the toughest. Most people don't run long enough to get past that...once I hit mile 5 or 6 on my long runs it's almost kind of "zen like" and I completely zone out.

Running is actually a very "mental" exercise and it may be that it's just not for you...and that's ok too. No point in doing something unless you love it and can stick with it.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    yep every first couple of miles suck... I realized I love it.

When I ran my first half marathon I even wrote on my arm in Marker ... it all gets better after 2.5 :)
    I'm with Emma. I absolutely despised running. I mean, really, really hated it. I've gotten better over time, and now miss it if I don't get a run in.

I think most runners would agree that at least the first mile sucks. :D Problem is, most people who hate it quit before that marker. :) I've gone from a 19 minute mile in January to a sub-12 minute mile now. AND, I'm training for a half! (did I REALLY just say that??!!!)

I signed up for my first 1/2 marathon last week -- and thought the same thing, Flyntigger (what the &^%$ am I thinking??) Maybe we're crazy...but hmmm...crazy feels darned good right now.

emmaleigh47 -- I might try that arm tattoo!!
  • debbieschu
    Options
    I haven't done the C25K program but did have to do a little at a time in the beginning to run. I used to HATE running and thought, heck...I live in town where things are blocks away...why not just run everywhere. It took about a month before my heart and legs got into it and then eventually I just didn't think about it anymore. It does take me about 1/2 mile - 1 mile to get into it but the fact I can wear my IPOD and look around at interesting things while I run makes it all worth it. I HATE running on a treadmill. It's Boring. Even with the TV in front of me at the Gym. BORING.
  • proctorgirl07
    proctorgirl07 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with everyone who has said "they hated it in the beginning but love it now!!" I hate the thought of getting ready to do it but I love it when I get started. For me, it isnt about the run, it's about being alone, clearing my head, listening to music and just being me. I love to run new places. Tracks are boring and make you ask yourself how much longer. Try some where new, look around while you are running. Enjoy the scenery, it takes the mind off of what you are doing. I started running 5k races to help me set goals. Not that I want to win it, just to give myself something to shoot for! at first I just wanted to complete one, then i wanted to do it in so much time, then i wanted to beat that time, then i wanted to beat someone who has beat me in my last few races. It was motivation to keep at it. So glad you asked the question because you have helped me remember why I like it so much. I use the runkeeper app on my iphone. it helps me a lot too.:smile: Good luck to you and your run!!!
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I weighed 350 lbs at one time (now 180) and if you would ever say lets run a 5K I would have laughed. I also started the C25K program. Started Week 5 Day 1 this week. I absolutely love running now. I put on my iphone and just run to the music. I also get home and bike ride for an hour afterwards. Attempting a Duathlon in September. Surroundings make a difference to, run somewhere beautiful. I will only treadmill if no other option. Good shoes is a must too.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I started running back in 2005 (begrudgingly) because I was trying to get into the US Air Force after college. I started off with a modified couch to 5K and kept on going. It got easier! Really! Didn't end up in the USAF, BUT I did end up with an appreciation for runnning which I've kept up with for the most part ever since. I say "for the most part" as I took a 1.5 year hiatus from running, but have picked it up a lot more seriously within the past year. Now I'm able to say I've run a half marathon, and a handful of 5 and 10K's. The 5K's are always fun.
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I always hated running more than anything and have a bad knee to boot. I started the C25K program and now I love running! I run outside on a trail so there are always people with dogs and such to look at, plus I listen to music. When I started I had the same problems you do with the shin pain and breathing, so I did some research on running form and breathing techniques and it made a huge difference. Now I can't wait to run and I'm bummed out on off days. Just stick with it and ask for advice if you're having a problem.
  • beernutz
    beernutz Posts: 136
    Options
    I guess I have it backwards from most people replying. I used to love running. I am 52 and like a lot of people was inspired by the 72 U.S. Olympic heroes Dave Wottle and Frank Shorter to start running. I ran competitively in Jr. High, High School, and Intramurals in college then throughout my adult life including hundreds of races from 5k up through and including 4 marathons, the last one in 1991. I bet I went 15 years averaging 40-50 miles a week and some weeks did twice that when marathon training.

About 11 years ago I just burned out on running and just gave it up almost cold turkey. I ran for a long time in Memphis which is not exactly cool in the summer but when I moved to the gulf coast it was just too dam hot in the summer for me to run and I just didn't get the same buzz from it I used to get. I still have a treadmill and will jog on it every month or so now but no races or organized runs. I loved the time I was a runner though and don't regret a second of it. Some of my best memories are runs I've done in places from Shanghai and Bejing China to Mt. Tamalpais in Marin Co. CA to the Bahamas and Grand Caymans to ... you get the idea. I'll carry those memories forever, much more than any car ride I may have taken in those places.

It does get under your skin and every once in a while I get the itch to start up again. I've spend a good portion of the last ten years weighing between 185 and 195 and when I looked at a running log I'd kept from back in the day, I was 159 when I ran my last marathon at age 32.

To the OP, I'd start with run walks if continuous running is too uncomfortable. At some point, competitive running is all about how much discomfort (pain!) you can stand but running for fun doesn't have to be. What you definitely don't want to do is get injured which will definitely put a cramp ;-) in your running goals but may also lead to weigh gain if you can't do any other exercise because of it.