desperate for answers

Options
Hi Everyone, so
i train doing body combat 4 times weekly, i stick to a TDEE allowance of 1600 as this includes any exercise.

This week i gained 4lbs, last week i also gained 4lbs, im not new to this, ive been a member for years and i always the thought the yo-yo of my dieting was from my under active thyroid, however im now adequately medicated and im still yo-yoing badly, 8lbs in 2 weeks has to be water right?, why? i dont know, its not my TOTm, and so the Drs are now trying to take me off my mini pill in hopes that its this thats causing it.

here's the cruncher: im also on orlistat yep! the crap yourself drug. whilst i do get little grumbles, my diet is more or less spot on with fat intake. and im still gaining like this? why? not a clue, do i want to throw in the towel? hell yeah, will i? probably not as im a fighter and something has to move eventually.

i would like someone to just magic next to me, and tell me the in's and outs of why my body is doing these things, i exercise those 4 times a week so hard im soaked with sweat after, so its nothing light.

scooby workshop says i should eat about 1728
iifym says about 1800,
so i eat 1600 to be safe, ..... and i still gained 8lbs in 2 weeks, before this, i was losing quite well since christmas. lost 9lbs fairly easy, then 8lbs goes back on in 2 weeks, its just gobsmacking,

im now googling whether mini pill could possibly cause water retention like the dr says it might. that isnt helping the situation. and nope defo not pregnant people lol
its my weigh in day tomorrow and i honestly just dont want to see what scales has for me this week

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Firstly fat intake doesnt cause you to gain fat, calorie surplus does. Your macros could pretty all come from fats and if youre in a deficit you womt put on fat.

Secondly no where do you mention you weigh your food. So my guess is youre eating more calories then you think.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    nope i thought it should be implied due to me being a member for years, however yes i do weigh and measure everything i eat.
    i also count calories burned on my polar h7, which i dont eat back as im doing the TDEE method,
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sounds like you are pretty confident in your intake, so I agree it should be water weight of some form. You would have to be crazy bad at logging to gain 8lbs of fat in a couple weeks :wink:

It sounds like you have a couple different medications going on so I would attest it to something to do with those. Unfortunately, I think the doctors are the best ones to keep working with on this. I don't think these forums are the best place for information for you since you have a more detailed case going on.

~Best wishes in figuring it out
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    8lbs is a lot, do you feel bloated? Are your clothes tighter?
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    hi everyone, an update - so this week i lost 5.2lbs, so the answer is definitely water, does anybody know the causes for this? does anybody recommend water tablets? is this the result of my contraception mini pill? is it just a coincidence that the first week of not taking them i lose this?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    If you want to take water tablets, please check in with your GP first, especially if you're already taking other medications (like the orlistat - side note: you're a courageous one :wink: ) to exclude any possible detrimental interaction between the various meds.

BC pills are known to cause water retention, so stopping might have helped, but it feels like a rather large coincidence after just one week. Either way, I'm glad it's starting to be sorted out. Water retention can be a drag!

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Firstly fat intake doesnt cause you to gain fat,calorie surplus does. Your macros could pretty all come from fats and if youre in a deficit you womt put on fat.

Secondly no where do you mention you weigh your food. So my guess is youre eating more calories then you think.

Not for someone on an orlistat... trust me on that one. It's not pretty. You want to keep a very very very close eye on your fat intake :tongue:

But I do agree with your premise. Fat isn't evil :smile:
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I hope you get everything sorted out. Just wanted to send you hugs!!
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    thank you everyone, i keep my fat down to prevent any nasty side effects, ive altered my fat percentage on here to make sure i keep within the guidelines, all is well, but too be honest im not seeing the benefits yet as its hidden by this water gains,
    on TOTM - its my first day today and its so painful, so jesus christ it could be a number of factors, all i can do is keep doing what im doing in hopes something will level out fir a bit