pain in squats and pain when jogging

Options
Suggestions? I tend to have pain in my knees when I squat and when I run it almost feels like shin splints. I'm 5'3 135 pounds definitely not in shape more fat than muscle I love to run bit feeling discouraged.

Replies

• tlgkensei
    tlgkensei Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Get your lnees checked by a professional. They definitely should NOT be giving you pain.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Too much too soon?
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Start swimming. Much lower impact, while still getting a good workout.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Is it a sharp pain or a dull ache?

I presume you have allowed sufficient time for rest and recovery?
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Also where in the knee? Outside knee? Knee cap or behind it? Inside knee?

Location makes a difference what it might be.
  • megsamoralove
    megsamoralove Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The pain us located towards the front side at the little soft spot by the knee cap. As for running I was told from a friend it could be shin splints?
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The pain us located towards the front side at the little soft spot by the knee cap. As for running I was told from a friend it could be shin splints?

Sounds like IT Band. Do not mess with this. I am going on a year trying to recover. Stop running, take anti-inflammatories, and when you do not have pain check out YouTube videos on IT Band injury prevention - clam shells, squats, core work, etc. After doing that for a while, start a 5K running program slowly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are felt in the front of the calf. Follow a program like c25k to help you build your conditioning send endurance for running in a safe way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    go to a doctor ...
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options

I had pain around this area and it was a tight soleus (calf) muscle. Frequent stretching and massage took care of it.
    Buuuut I am not a professional and that's not a lot of information to go off of, so take that with a grain of salt.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Rest and perhaps get checked by a doctor. When you are healed, you probably need new running shoes.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I had a physical therapist work with me on strengthening butt muscles to alleviate knee pain, and it worked. She explained that it helped proper alignment. Do get it evaluated so that you don't do more harm than good in your exercise program.