Who gets loose skin?

Options
Just saw a thread about getting a tummy tuck after weight loss, which makes me wonder if loose skin is something I should worry about. Does it only happen after a certain amount of weight is lost, or is it some combination of amount of weight plus time it took to lose it?

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    It happens to some people and not to others. There's not really any way to know until you get to your goal weight and maintain for a couple of years. If you are really worried about it I think the best advice I've ever heard is to start a savings fund for surgery now. Then if it happens you have the cash to get it fixed. If it all shrinks back or the loose skin doesn't end up bothering you, you have lots of money.

I was super worried about getting a tummy apron after losing my first 30 pounds, but then one day I got out of bed looked in the mirror and the droopy sack of fat had vanished. I'm currently worrying about some floppiness around my inner thighs and the girls not being as perky, but who knows what will happen with that.
  • rckc1
    rckc1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think a lot depends on age, how long you've had the extra weight on, hereditary, how fast you lose....I lost about 135 lbs in a year. I was 53 and had been obese for several years. I have loose skin on my stomach and arms, especially. It's been 2 years since I started losing and I exercise quite a bit but I'm afraid the damage has been done...At 55 my skin just does not have the elasticity to shrink enough. I feel so much better so it is still worth it to me!

• BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Oh that's true, I suppose if you are losing at a younger age your skin will bounce back more easily. So do young people still get loose skin or is it more of the older crowd?
  • bshrom11
    bshrom11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Some people get it, some dont. Going by the highest weight I've ever been I have been 115 pounds heavier than I am right now and yes I have some loose skin and stretch marks but not enough in my opinion to even consider surgery.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Purely genetic if your skin snaps back enough or not, and you won't know until you get there. For many people your skin won't start shrinking back until you're a very low BF%. Some people it never snaps back. I've lost a bit over 100lbs and I have a little bit of wrinkly loose skin in certain places, but nothing to be worried or even embarassed by.
  • holly74uk
    holly74uk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 42 years old and have lost 100 pounds over the last year... I was extremely obese for a long time and I have to say that yes, I now have loose skin on my upper arms, stomach, inner thighs and my bottom ...... but I was stupid on my weight loss journey and relied on calorie deficit alone to lose the weight with no exercise .... I have started doing cardio and weight machines now in the hope of getting even a little bit of firmness back, but I won't hold my breath! I am happy for anyone to add me as a friend for support and motivation!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    No loose skin here at 63lbs down. I have maybe 15lbs to go before i REASSESS AND i'll be a healthy BMI at that point.

I'm 35. I didn't spend a lot of time at my highest as obese, I've "only" been overweight the majority of my adult life. And genetics, that's the biggest factor I think other than being younger means super skin elasticity.

Stretch marks though, I've had those since I was about 14. So swings and roundabouts.
  • Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Age definitely is a factor. I am 50 and have lost over 100 pounds, most of it while using My Fitness Pal. I have gained and lost almost 100 pounds 3 times, and in my latest round have been obese for several years. I have loose skin on my upper thighs, a bit on my arms and I definitely have a fat/skin apron. I only want to loose a few more pounds, so I fear the damage has been done. I am considering surgery and have started saving, but this is the consequences to my poor behavior and I accept it as such. I lift weights and exercise 4-5 days a week and have quite a bit of muscle under the skin on my tummy and legs. Loose skin aside I am much healthier and happier!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    No loose skin here at 63lbs down. I have maybe 15lbs to go before i REASSESS AND i'll be a healthy BMI at that point.

I'm 35. I didn't spend a lot of time at my highest as obese, I've "only" been overweight the majority of my adult life. And genetics, that's the biggest factor I think other than being younger means super skin elasticity.

Stretch marks though, I've had those since I was about 14. So swings and roundabouts.

Yes I have had stretch marks since 6th grade since I went through puberty, I have accepted them as part of life!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Lose your weight and find out, I did!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    No, you should not worry about it. Worrying will change nothing! Just follow your plan and enjoy the journey!
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am 27 and I have loose skin from being pregnant with my daughter 5 years ago. I was 220lbs after she was born, I'm 127lbs now and you can see the loose skin/stretch marks but I'm happy I changed my life. I have considered a tummy tuck, but I'm waiting on that for now.

2017_03_13_00_32_22.jpg