Can someone explain keto ??

Options
Im very confused

Replies

• Rissanen707
    Rissanen707 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's a state your body goes into when the liver turns to producing ketones from fat for energy rather then using glucose (from sugar and carbs). The way you can get around eating so much fat is the amounts of carbs and sugar are so low that it keeps your insulin from spiking so your body never gets the instruction to store fat in fat cells. Also why it can take a long time to get fully into ketoses, because your body has to burn through all the stored glycogen in your system (which will bring on keto-flu symptoms as you switch energy sources) . ... that's the way I see it... like converting your car from a old Diesel engine to a new Tesla. :)
  • SueMizzou52
    SueMizzou52 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is an excellent group on MFP for people who undertake this lifestyle change. The Low Carbers Daily Forum has a large amount of information available and some very helpful discussions. It is a closed group, in other words you need to ask for membership. The moderators are usually very open to new members.

I have used this type of diet and have found it to be very effective for me. It's not for everyone but I find that after a few days your cravings disappear and it becomes easier to do. I am an old person (68) and have lost 20 lbs relatively easily on this program.

There are also some helpful videos available. Dr Jason Fung and Dr Volek are the ones that come most readily to my mind.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    (which will bring on keto-flu symptoms as you switch energy sources).

Actually, this is incorrect. "Keto-flu" is not only a misnomer, but "Flu symptoms" can be completely avoided simply by getting enough electrolytes (SALT). Following this WOE, your body typically requires 3,000-5,000mg of sodium EVERY DAY. Those who try Keto or LCHF without doing the proper research / homework first, often run afoul of this and then try to "push through" the "Flu symptoms" which often just exacerbates how bad they feel because of the electrolytes imbalance they failed to properly address.