Tofu recipes please

Options
wendypark811
wendypark811 Posts: 65 Member
Hello Everyone,

I have fancied tofu for a while but never bought then the other day I put some in my basket not realising there is a difference.

I bought cleanspring silken and smooth. Could anyone suggest recipes please trying to keep sugar low, don't use coconut oil or nuts. Gluten and lactose free but can use gluten free pasta no bread. Either snack, main or dessert.

Big ask I know.

Thanks
Wendy

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The soft silken kind make a good sandwich spread. Just add whatever spices you like for flavor then spread on a sandwich or wrap as you would hummus, add some leafy stuff and whatever else you like (tomato, cucumber, onion, etc.)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I always buy the Firm or extra firm types and add it to soups or curry dishes to up the protein or replace meat.

Mapo Tofu is one of my favorite comfort foods, but you'll need to visit an Asian grocery to get ingredients.

Why not just add it to one of your go-to soups or stews?
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've been new to it myself and had some bad recipes. But got one that was good. I sliced the extra firm tofu into about 1/3 inch slices (after draining water) and put in a ziplock bag with beer and BBQ sauce and marinated for a few hours and then BBQ'd (on a well oiled grill). Put on a bun with lettuce tomato onion and pickles and bit of mayo and BBQ sauce. Couldn't even tell that it was meatless. Even my hubby liked it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Tofu breakfast scramble
    Taco seasoning
    Mashed tofu
    Onions
    Potatos
    Mushrooms

Add to corn or flour tortilla top with cheese.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love tossing cubed extra firm tofu with a mix of soy sauce or tamari (gluten-free) and toasted sesame oil. I'll often shake in a bit of oyster sauce and siracha but those are really not necessary. Just shake it all up with the tofu and I'll enjoy immensely in a salad (geeens, avocado, cucumber, a few chopped nuts) or just the cubes on their own as a snack. I'll leave the cubes in the marinade in the fridge for easy access. It's completely my favourite way to eat tofu and I truly love it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Silken is soft like pudding. Don't interchange with recipes for extra firm.

Maybe try something like this. With your restrictions the tough thing to replace is the coconut cream. Maybe use vegetable shortening but I think butter would taste better.

http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/04/11/secretly-healthy-cappuccino-cloud-cheesecake/
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Silken is good to make "sour cream" just add some lemon juice or vinegar. You can also use as a substitute for "cream" in recipes after blending. Mix with avocado and salsa for a good guacamole. Add to tuna instead of mayo.