logging when on holidays?

Options
amc2509
amc2509 Posts: 220 Member
I am heading to Iceland in a few weeks for a short break... just wondering how people log when on holiday? I'm guessing that we will be doing lots of walking, so hoping that this will cover any extra calories that will be consumed! Still, I'm just wondering what people normally do when travelling?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I go away once, maybe twice a year. So I just take a logging break and eat what I want. I do a lot of walking when away usually so it does offset. Last year i had a whole 2lb gain from two weeks at Disney. I'll take that!
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you don't own one already, buy a pedometer or a fitbit type tracking device so that you can step count - and then just enjoy your holiday. 10,000 steps are approximately 500 calories so if you're doing alot of walking you'll be covered and then some. Also Iceland primarily focuses on fresh fish ....... Personally I keep tracking as I'm on a 120 day streak and don't want to lose my momentum! Have fun
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I log, I just estimate everything.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i don't usually have my phone or any internet access when on holiday - which i really enjoy! so i don't log, and generally just eat what i like. i walk a lot on holiday so that balances out most of it!

i figure 3 weeks out of a year aren't going to harm me. i mainly just get a bit bloated from extra carbs from ice cream!!!! :laugh:
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my 'streak' going too!
    I guesstimate food to log and try to get a walk in each day. Sounds like you'll be ok for exercise!
  • ellefox70
    ellefox70 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I lost weight whilst in Iceland due to eating so healthily and lots of walking and swimming. Would love to go back so would suggest u just take a break and enjoy yourself!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't log. I did take 2 trips last year but one was early June and my cruise was mid October. Before that it had been over a year since my last trip. I have nothing planned this year, taking a break from traveling. If I traveled more I would have to look into logging and tracking.
  • TrekkieLianne
    TrekkieLianne Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always do. The estimates are probably inaccurate unless I'm eating at a chain restaurant (Chili's, Olive Garden, etc.) but I count everything. Although it does hurt to see I've scarfed down 3500+ calories in food and alcohol sometimes! LOL
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I continue to log and guesstimate as well as possible -I know I wil be off, but at least I have an idea of what is going on. Plus I will log at maintenance on my holiday. Last long holiday I was pretty spot on Just holding on to water after the long haul flight and was within 0.5 kg after three days returned.
    Lat few days away, not an issue at all as we walked so much during those days that I could manage a bit more
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Just the act of opening the app keeps your streak. I know this because that's all I do on holiday (because i'm sad and keep up with my newsfeed and it's interesting to see how many calories I'm getting given for my steps).

So no need to log if that's the only reason you feel compelled to do it.
  • nottellingit
    nottellingit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    10000 steps are approximately 500 calories

I would caution against believing this number and do some research instead. I know for me, as someone who averages 12.5K steps/day and is 5'2 & 133 lbs, 500 calories per 10K steps would be much, much too generous.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've never logged on a vacation...